Ballroom Dance > USA Dance Rules: Personal Jewelry

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by caw, Jun 10, 2014.

1. caw

caw Active Member

Not that it applies to me, but I'm reading through the USA Dance rulebook and wondering if any USA Dance officials (or just people who know) can tell me the difference between 'personal jewelry" and "decoration jewelry."

I mean, I might see the difference between a regular necklace and a giant blinged out necklace, but it lists earrings on there, so I'm not really seeing a line drawn.

First link, 2014 A Dancesport Rulebook (PDF), page 32
    http://usadance.org/dancesport/forms-and-resources/rules-policies-and-bylaws/

Required:
    Personal jewelry of any kind (including rhinestones) may be worn. (optional)

Not Allowed:
    Decoration jewelry with light reflective qualities, including earrings necklaces,
    bracelets, etc.

2. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

If it doesn't apply to you, I really wouldn't worry about it. I am with you about the line being blurry, and enforcement may also vary, which makes interpretation more difficult.

3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

The line's definitely blurry and leaves a lot up to the discretion of the official. The "same fabric as your dress" piece is obvious, but most costume officials view large necklaces / earrings as decoration even if the person in question might wear it to a social occasion.

The costume check official at MAC last year was on the strict side, with many competitors surprised that their jewelry was too "blingy" to be allowed as personal jewelry. She had quite the collection of bling amassed by the end of the adult gold standard first round.

ajiboyet, caw and Bailamosdance like this.
  4. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's new(ish) wording in the rulebook, but in various spots, the "personal jewelry" definition includes the specification that it "would be worn in the course of everyday life," and at least one comp that I've gone to clarifies in their own materials that that means "no party jewelry." I don't see that clarification in the rulebook, but if that's what they mean, saying it that way makes it clearer. The line is still blurry and up to the discretion of the official, but it does make a bigger gap between "decoration" (i.e., clearly part of the costume) and acceptable "personal." And it's pretty easy for me to apply to myself.

caw likes this.
  5. caw

caw Active Member

That makes sense

6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I agree. Last year at MAC the invigilator told me I could only wear one rhinestone bangle on each wrist. This year, the invigilator told me I couldn't wear any at all (same dress and bangles).

What makes it more difficult too is that huge sometimes blingy "statement necklaces" are very in fashion now, even for casual wear. I don't think a lot of the costume invigilators read the latest fashion magazines though. ;)

ajiboyet and Bailamosdance like this.
  7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

My rule when doing costume checks....
    if you could wear it to the gym and grocery store without feeling ridiculous... then it is personal jewelry.

Miss Silly, j_alexandra and Lioness like this.
  8. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Larinda, why is this jewelry rule in the books?

9. Dancing Irishman

I thought the USA Dance rulebook actually had the phrase "like one would wear to a party" or something to that effect to describe what was ALLOWED. I might have made that up, but I need to dig up my older version of the rulebook and check that.

10. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

3.10.8.4 OPEN PROFICIENCY & SENIOR SYLLABUS DRESS SPECIFICATIONS
    Personal Jewelry = any jewelry worn on the body - jewelry that is unattached to the dance apparel and would be worn in the course of everyday life, such as necklaces or earrings, wedding rings, etc.= any jewelry worn on the body (earring, necklace, bracelet, rings etc.) (NR)

11. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Perhaps my everyday life is quite glamorous and I go to black tie affairs on the reg. Who is the invigilator to decide anyways?

Sania, Miss Silly and Lioness like this.
  12. Dancing Irishman

It's a shame you're not still doing syllabus standard....I'd love to hear about that invigilator convo after the fact!

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  13. snapdancer

I have my own jewelry standards for my social dance partners: If I don't notice it while I'm dancing with you, it's quite alright. Jewelry I notice are for example necklaces that swing around and hit me in the face, rings with stones that dig into my fingers, large bracelets, etc. Otherwise, if it makes the lady happy to wear it and I'm not paying for it, then have at it.

Same for competitions. If it makes the lady happy to wear it and it doesn't get in the way of dancing, what's the problem?

14. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I have made note of the fact that since there are no restrictions on makeup (for an adult) I could paint myself green from head to toe and still be "syllabus legal", though far more visually distracting than any amount of rhinestones.

Purr, Sania, architeuthis and 5 others like this.
  15. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

And then you see people at Wal-Mart dressed like idiots, and that dashes that "if you'd wear it to the store, then..." idea.

nikkitta, IndyLady and Lioness like this.
  16. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I am glamorous and have no shame. Checkmate, invigilators.

Sania, jiwinco, ajiboyet and 5 others like this.
  17. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I can't speak for Larinda or on the basis of any historical knowledge, but my impression is that it's a logical part of the no-blingy-costumes rule. I quite like the fact of the costume restrictions in general, even though the details can be a pain, because they really lower the price bar for initial participation in competition. And even though you could go out to Claire's and buy piles of rhinestone jewelry for cheap, allowing unrestricted jewelry could lead to the same kind of expensive arms race that allowing full costumes would. But banning all sparkly jewelry would mean that I'd have to take off my engagement ring to compete, and I'm not doing that. It does seem as if they've gotten stricter lately, and I don't really care where exactly the line is drawn -- I'd be fine with allowing party jewelry -- but, as I said before, making it more restrictive does make what's allowed clearer to me, since I'm not one to go to the grocery store all blinged out. So I can stop thinking about it and think about the dancing instead.

18. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Now if only Madicraft hadn't put the kibosh on us dancing in bronze... :D

19. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

BAHAHAHAH i always loved this loop-hole ;-)

20. snapdancer

just make sure that you're not also wearing a green costume.

Sania, Miss Silly and mindputtee like this.