Ballroom Dance > USDC anyone??

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Mr 4 styles, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

My first time going. I'll be dancing Smooth on Wednesday and Latin on Thursday . Hope to meet some of you !!!

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Have a good time. I remember my first USDC I saw Brian Watson and Carmen, not a show, just competing. Then I believe the next year it was Chistopher Hawkins and Hazel Newbury.

Sania, dlliba10 and Mr 4 styles like this.
  3. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

it was on my radar, but may be headed to Houston and their burbs - instead. Good luck though. Heard it's a wonderful good time.

4. rels77

rels77 Active Member

I'll be there! Smooth and rhythm!!

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  5. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Good luck to everyone going for USDC!

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  6. Mr 4 styles

Smooth was a blast !!! Huge floor lots of great competition. I don't dance on the east coast to get recognized by those judges so placements may have suffered Don't really care though coz we danced very well . Had several former champions comment positively on my dancing so

On to Latin !

bia, Dean, Sania and 5 others like this.
  7. sbrnsmith

So according to updates- USDC has re-arranged their schedule and cancelled the Saturday evening show. Stay safe those that are there. Safe travels home.

Mr 4 styles and RiseNFall like this.
  8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I think most people assume they are not getting out on Sunday.

RiseNFall likes this.
  9. sbrnsmith

No flights Sunday and Monday- Tuesday is uncertain.

10. 3wishes

Here's what I have from United Airlines (my brother is a 777 captain so we've been able to keep up) as of an hour ago.
    Fri Sept. 8 FLL, no ops after 4:30. No ops on Sat. No ops on Sunday, Monday 9/11. Resume with 1st scheduled arrival.

MIA- Friday No ops after 4:00pm. Sat- no ops, sunday- no ops, Monday 9/11- resume with 1st scheduled arrival.
    PBI - no ops after 4pm Friday. Sat -no ops, Sun- no ops, Monday 9/11- resume with first scheduled arrival.
    RSW - Friday as scheduled, Sat- No ops after 9a.m., Sun- no ops, Monday 9/11 As scheduled.
    TPA - Friday as scheduled, Sat-as scheduled, Sun- as scheduled, Mon 9/11 as scheduled.
    MCO - Fri - as scheduled, Sat no ops after 5pm., Sun no ops, Mon 9/11- resumes with first scheduled arrival.
    JAX - fri - as scheduled, Sat as scheduled, Sun- as scheduled, Mon- as scheduled.
    SAV - fri- as scheduled, sat- as scheduled, Sun- as scheduled, Mon 9/11- as scheduled.

11. Mr 4 styles

Yep that's what we heard here

Oh and I finished 4th in rising star open c latinthat was a huge pleasant surprise. From a semi.

Pro was super happy

j_alexandra, sbrnsmith, Sania and 2 others like this.
  12. sbrnsmith

After watching coverage of USDC on social media, their site, the posts and messages from teachers and students- all interspersed with round the clock hurricane Irma coverage- I have to ask- was it wise to continue the competition up until 4.00 pm today? I'm not at all coming down on the organizers, who , from all reports have done an amazing job in the face of an unprecedented natural disaster- modifying an already packed schedule, and no doubt , trying to make the best decisions with whatever information available. But clearly, this was known at least 4 days back. Why continue with a competition knowing that some people will be stuck and have no safe way out but to ride it out- and some that barely made it thru gas shortages, crowded highways, cancelled flights etc? I'm saying this knowing that sometimes there are no good answers.

13. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I share your concern, but was somewhat mollified after I read the Disney World information. It seems that it is a pretty safe place to be, as long as you follow their advice and stock up on food for your room. :eek: I wonder how many people who were competing on Saturday decided not to do it? I do worry about judges etc who might have felt that they needed to stay.

sbrnsmith likes this.
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I'm curious how they went about getting done by 4pm Saturday. Perhaps a combination of losing a bunch of entries from people who decided, "F it, I'm not risking traveling into a hurricane," and just compressing the schedule (running late Friday? cutting music time to 60 seconds?)?

rels77 likes this.
  15. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

They cancelled some events and moved some to Friday.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  16. Mr 4 styles

All in all they did a good job in a difficult situation. The swan hotel is actually an evacuation site. The hotel was great about keeping us informed and accommodating our needs . Peeps Got out Saturday until 7 clearly the Saturday rounds were lighter. But the show must go on. Luckily Orlando was pretty spared

sbrnsmith likes this.
  17. Mr 4 styles

One pwrson who stayed said " so long as the bar is open it will be an awesome party " good attitude

sbrnsmith likes this.
  18. sbrnsmith

Glad everyone is safe. Guessing that with flights being backlogged, it will be tough to get out of Orlando. It appears limited service will be available from Orlando International tomorrow.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  19. 3wishes

In this situation, and speaking from an emergency management point of view, the organizers did a stellar job keeping people informed. The hotel would have been a good "shelter in place" venue at that point, but consider that pros and am and volunteers also have families and obligations and it is human nature to want to be safe or with family or available. Canceling some events, squeezing the schedule and making sure of flights, times, weather and predicted path of hurricane was information that flowed (no pun intended). As a shelter-in-place venue - the event could have gone on up until 12 hours before the wind picks up to 35 miles an hour. There is always hindsight to be learned, but IMP continuing with some sort of "normal" and people choosing to stay, go, or whatever is something I've witnessed time and again. Airports typically close when winds reach 35-40 miles an hour for sustained periods of times. I am relieved that people are safe and recovery has begun. They did the best they could. Hopefully there will not be a next time.

j_alexandra and Mr 4 styles like this.
  20. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I would be curious if the hotel has any thing in the contract that would allow an organizer of an event to quit early due to weather. I'm sure there was a financial obligation, but I don't know what percent it represents compared to the whole of the expenses. I also would wonder if judges and service providers are still paid if they are not able to work due to weather. I'm assuming there were some complications related to this.