User Interface Improvements

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Mar 10, 2016.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

We need cerebro....

3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

It's great that you care about this and are working on it. I give my $0.02 below; but note I'm not a UI professional.
    1. My biggest UI wish is that DF would eliminate animated ads, or at least those that loop repeatedly. They're a terrible distraction.
    2. Re: icons ("next", "binocular", "play button", etc.) -- I'm not a fan of icons, because their meaning is often hard to decipher. A possible solution is to add mouse-over content with the text meaning of the icon; but then I think mouse-over is a poor choice for mobile (how to mouse-over with mobile, anyway?), and also perhaps for accessibility (e.g. browser tools for the visually-impaired; but I defer to a pro here).
    3. Re: hiding links behind a new "actions" drill-down -- it seems to me that this generally would hurt discoverability.
    Having 3 "Dance Forums" on a page, extra <hr>s, other general space concerns and removing redundant/needless information -- these make sense to me.

For page number size ("easier to press on mobile"), consider whether the size emphasis should be different for mobile vs. desktop (not sure how hard that is, and not really expressing a firm opinion here).

Hope that helps. In the end I guess all UI problems boil down to just trying something and then finding out whether people become happier or unhappier, anyway.

Cheers,
    DL

4. DanceMentor

Thanks for your answer. For the animated ads, what we have been doing is charging a little more for them. Honestly, we do our best to make enough money that everything is paid for with the server and the programming with a little left to do things like this. I do understand and hopefully we can more consistently fill our ad spots, and simply raise the price yet not allow animation.

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Maybe restrict them to the top instead of the side bar? Or at least require significant time (say a few minutes) between their loops? Well, take those ideas for whatever they're worth.

6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I'm just happy that there isn't any auto-play video. That's by far the most annoying.

Joe and stash like this.
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

TBH I don't even notice most of the animated ads. At least the ads aren't pop-ups or pop-unders.

Mr 4 styles, Lioness and stash like this.
  8. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I only notice them on while on mobile because it messes with the aspect ratio. There is a huge white wall in the main body of the screen where the ad continues past up top. The one solution I have for that is having a mobile version of the ad which would fix this issue.

Lioness and Larinda McRaven like this.
  9. DanceMentor

I may just do the change where we get rid of the <hr> for now. And maybe in the future we can make sure we get a mobile ad size in addition to the regular ad.

10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

most annoying.. because you have to double tap on the beige to size it up. But hitting the beige space is almost impossible without hitting a link of some sort and going to some page you don't want to see...

IMG_1995.PNG

Sania, Lioness and stash like this.
  11. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Huh, that doesn't happen on my android phone, at least not currently. Is it phone specific? Is it Apple or windows phones (and their associated browsers) having these issues, or is it more complicated than that?

12. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I am using an iPhone 6.

13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Mine neither.

14. DanceMentor

Thanks for the screenshot. This is exactly what we need in order to fix a problem like this.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  15. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

That happens with my iPhone 6s as well...super annoying and honestly the only complaint I have about the usability of the mobile site!

stash likes this.
  16. stash

stash Well-Known Member

It does not happen on my kindle fire tablet. The ad just gets cut off.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  17. DanceMentor

Finally assigned this task with the iphone fix. Hopefully they can find and solve it.

18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

It has gotten worse so far for iOS operators as of this morning

Attached Files:

19. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Getting the same thing as Stash with Firefox, IE, and Android.

20. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Same as stash on a kindle fire in landscape view. Better in portrait view so far.

stash likes this.