Ballroom Dance > Videos > Vaidas & Jurga's Retro Latin Showdance

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Dapenda, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Dapenda

Dapenda New Member

radical~

2. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I loved it! How fun! And kind of funny. Wow, styles have changed!

And I love their showdance routine even more. Does anyone know if she was a ballerina? She has great expression and lines. I love those kinds of lines. And, cool how they used their own styling like that and a variety of dances, subtly blended. Beautiful! That's how I like to move, and I would have done that same blend of dances.
    This woman is me, only way better, of course! I even thought she looked like me at the end of the retro show.

3. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

Dapenda, thanks for posting that. The routine seemed to be the crowd favorite (you could hear them applauding and laughing throughout the routine) and I loved the fact that they showed John DePalma cracking up at the end. People really enjoyed it.

4. latingal

According to the bios on their website, Jurga started in rhythmic gymanstics and then began in ballroom soon after. It did mention that she took ballet and other dance styles during her university training.

Their website is: www. vandjdance.com

5. chachachacat

Thanks, Latingal my local pal!

6. Laura

Laura New Member

So at the studio where I used to take lessons, there used to be a cabinet filled with ancient videos from OSB in the 80's. A friend who used to work there used to borrow them and we'd watch -- I've seen Ron Montez & Liz Curtis dance those old moves from back in the day!

This showcase was hilarious and wonderfully danced!

7. chachachacat

I saw Ron and Liz with Donny & Gaynor in the joint show! Fabulous! Each danced alone. Gaynor's solo was balletic, Ron's solo was hot - Tom Jones' Kiss. Oooooeee!

8. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

I loved this routine, it was so fun to watch.

9. rainerng

rainerng Member

10. cy_phi

cy_phi Member

My dance partner and I were sitting in the row behind the judge's seating area when Vaidas & Jurga performed this Showdance. They were in hysterics...especially Donald Johnson and Tony Dovolani...once this the performance was over, everyone of the officials gave a standing ovation...as did much of the ballroom... :)

11. latingal

Would have loved to have seen that...

12. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I loved this routine, but I still must be too much of a novice, because I can't really understand what was 'retro' about it. Can anyone give me some examples?

13. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I suggest you rent the movie Strictly Ballroom. High level latin competition hasn't looked like that routine since the 70s :)

14. rainerng

rainerng Member

Here it is in it's full glory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUpEpcy6IzI

15. latingal

Did you get a chance to check it out NURDRMS? One look and I think you'll get it (and yes, those are actual well known dancers dancing the style of the day). *grin*