Ballroom Dance > VEdance vs. Aleksandr Tailsuit?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ben, Dec 14, 2016.

1. ben

ben Member

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to get back into competitive standard, and am looking to get an updated tailsuit. My last tailsuit was made by Aleksandr ~10 years ago and too baggy by today's standards - so I'm on the market for a new tailsuit. Does anybody have experiences with Aleksandr's newer slim tailsuits with stretchy fabric, or with VEDance tailsuits? These are the two I've been looking at - I'm trying to get one before provo and usa dance nationals. Any other suit makers I should be looking into as well?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

VE has (or had) a very nifty design option - much easier to get in and out of than a traditionally made suit IMO with fewer "pieces".

However, their price was higher than several other good quality traditionally designed suits.

Let us know what you find out.

ben likes this.
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I too had an old non-stretch Aleksandr suit and was told I needed a new slimmer suit. Tried Pure Class but it didn't work out, so I went back to Aleksandr.

As to other makers, are you looking for US-based, only?

ben likes this.
  4. ben

ben Member

Hi Joe! Thanks for your input. I was looking at US based only because it was convenient. I am open to having a suit made abroad, but a little worried about the fit, since I don't have time to travel for fittings. I'm based in LA so Aleksandr is very convenient, but I'm intrigued at this VEdance design option that Loki mentioned.

5. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

I also had a suit by Aleksandr and had him make both a tailsuit and a tux a couple years ago using the newer material. I'm very happy with both. The dry cleaner tells me the material is difficult for them to deal with, but they managed.

6. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I'll put a good word in for VE. I sent in my measurements remotely after getting them done by a tailor, and when the tailsuit arrived, it was so easy to navigate and it felt great, super stretchy. In fact, I got the tailsuit to dance Smooth in, so it let me move my arms and body pretty freely without being too constricted.

7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Did you buy the one with the integrated waistcoat?

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If you're in LA and can get to Beverly Hills for the fittings, there is zero reason not to go with Aleksandr.

9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

A fellow standard guy swears by ballroomsuits.com. He upgraded the fabric. Looks like very good quality to me.

Not a Loki endorsement and YMMV.

10. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Whatever comes with the Prince-level -- doesn't seem to be a full waistcoat.

Sania likes this.
  11. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Nice.

12. Akita

Akita Well-Known Member

I have a tailsuit from VEDance. Love it. Very easy to get into and out of. Fits like a glove and love the stretch material. Since I couldn't hook up with Vincent (he insists on measuring you), he flew into my airport to measure me - and charged only $99 more. Very easy and pleasurable dealing with Vincent.

As a friend who also has one of his tailsuits (in addition to Pure Class and Ron Gunn) said .... it's like dancing in pajamas it's so comfortable.

It's noteworthy that the reigning Amateur Adult Standard champ and Amateur Adult Senior 2 champ both dance with a VEDance tailsuit.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  13. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Are they based in Ann Arbor Michigan? Did they fly to California for you?

14. Akita

Akita Well-Known Member

There are somewhere in Michigan - not sure where. He flew into the Southeast for 4 hours to measure me.

15. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I think Ann Arbor.