Dancers Anonymous > Vehicle Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Spitfire, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

So what vehicle do you drive?

Mine's a 2002 Toyota Tacoma which I purchased brand new in July of last year. I'm definitely a pick-up truck type of guy. :wink:

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You ever heard that song, "She thinks my tractor's sexy" or something like that? Lots of stuff about trucks and tractors in the lyrics. HUGE, HUGE hit in the C&W bars. Parking lot full of trucks, and big old SUVs. :D And the wrangler-wearing girls do love 'em. :D

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

For what it's worth, I drove tractors, cherry pickers, and fork lifts the year I lived in Israel. We were in the middle of the deep desert though, so no Wranglers :wink:

4. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

In Denmark we have this huge taxes on cars. Take the price on a brand new car in the USA. Multiply the price tag with 5, and you get the price it takes to get the car on the streets in Denmark.

Me, I drive a 15 years old white Peugeot 405 nicknamed “The Shuttle”

5. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

That's great Danish Guy, I would then assume that Danland has an effective public transite system in place... which is not the case where I live.

I drive a little '94 Subaru Justy 2dr. hatchback... which I recently painted the passenger side of-- which I like a lot better now than the mismatched door that was there before! I figure if it's going to be distinctive it might as well be in a good way :wink:

My car is anything but a statis symbol! But it get's me where I want to go, I can speed on the freeway, and I own it out right!! yippeee no car payments!!! It serves my purposes very well and I like my little car. Although it was a bit frustrating to learn how to drive a manual transmition... good thing for large, vacant, well lit parking lots!

6. pygmalion

What about the price of petrol, Danish Guy? The first time I was overseas, I was shocked to see that people were paying for a litre of petrol about what we were paying for a gallon (4 litres) here. Ouch! :shock:

That definitely makes walking, biking or taking the bus or train look more appealing.

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I want a new car . . . or truck or SUV!

I've been out looking most evenings for about three weeks now. I think I'm down to . . .

Trucks:
    I like the Toyota Tundra (Spitfire, I also like the Tacoma, but with the Double Cab, SR5, and TRD) . . .

Cars:
    BMW M3 or Infiniti G 35 Coupe

SUV:
    Infiniti FX45

Any comments or help from the forum experts appreciated!

Vince

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

The only comment I can give you Vince is this...Toyota's work! My current one keeps running without a hitch and my last one may very well have saved my life (70mph into the center divider on the freeway).

9. dancer at heart

dancer at heart New Member

I go with Toyota or the Lexus....very very reliable and a real smooth ride (not to mention maintainance is cheaper than its american or european counter parts) :wink:

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Good point . . . thanks, dah . . . I'll keep that in mind!

11. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I have a little dark green 97 Toyota Corolla. Isn't fancy but it's great on mileage and is very reliable. No car payments either. :) I want to keep it at least another year before I think about a new car.

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Some fellow Toyota owners I see. 8)

I don't think you can beat Toyota for quality. My dad still drives his 1984 pick up and it is running great even after 190k miles and two friends of mine both have late eighties models that are still going strong. :)

Five months after I bought my Tacoma I switched to synthetic motor oil; much better then conventional oil and does not have to be changed as often. :)

Vince, get a Tacoma. I think you'll be happy you did.

13. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Good to see you came out alright of that 70 MPH collision SD.

I drive a 72 Green and Blue Pinto, for which I need to keep the Heater on during the summer or it will over-heat. Sometimes it gets tired and decides to overwhelm the passangers with a bit of smoke through the vent system. Not to mention it leaks a little water when it rains so I have to carry a towel at all times. The girls actually think I'm very well equiped when they see the towel on the back seat, something I didn't understand until I was told what some people use it for. Here I thought their use was for drying after a shower. :shock:

Nah, just kidding...

14. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I've always been a fan of Toyotas and Hondas, I think they are the most dependable. Here are the cars I've had in order:
    1978 Dodge Aspen (Brick Red) - blew the crank shaft
    1982 Toyota Tercel (blue) - very dependable and my only stick. It was fun to drive.
    1986 Chevrolet Celebrity EuroSport Wagon (blue) - very dependable, but not the best ride for a single guy. Ran it into a guard rail when an 82 year old man ran me off the road.
    1991 Buick Skylark (blue) - after a collision in the front it looked like it was laughing. Blinkers stopped working. Gave the car away for free.
    1995 Accura Integra (white) - absolutely no complaints. I nearly cried when I traded it in.
    1999 Toyota Solora (white) - sleek, fast and a smooth ride.I love it!

15. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

2001 SL1 Saturn...4 door, forest green. I am still paying off the brand new car which was a b-day gift to myself when I turned 21. I don't think it will ever be paid off, but I really LOVE my car! :D

16. pygmalion

Car Talk

Just out of curiosity, does anybody here listen to the National Public Radio show, Car Talk? It is hilarious! Two brothers based in Cambridge, MASS give way humorous answers to car-related questions. Everything from "my car makes a funny smell in wet weather" to "what kind of new car should I buy for my teenager?" So funny, and the guys are really knowledgeable, too.

17. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I heard it today in fact!! Right before I put in my Billy Holiday/ Squirrel Nut Zippers tape-- the only place I listen to tapes is in the car that has a notably bad system of sound-- I can't even bring myself to call it a sound system :lol:

I rarely listen to the show in it's entirety... especially the "classifieds" portion that people call in and state auto parts they want or have for sale... although that has it's own entertainment value. "Bill, turn off your radio!"

18. pygmalion

I guess I must get the sanitized national version. No ads for auto parts! :lol: I love that show. Click and Clack are so silly. :D They have a syndicated newspaper column, too. Not nearly as entertaining, though. :cry:

19. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

I drive a '98 Honda Civic with the liscence plate frame that's around my head in my avatar on it. It reads "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" My goal is to have everyone who stops behind me be forced to hear the "do wat do wat do wat do wat do wat do wat do wat do wat" in their heads :tongue:

20. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

:lol: That's a goal worth having!! do wah do wah do wah do wah!