Ballroom Dance > Victor and Anastasia win Blackpool

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Jun 3, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

So happy for them. I've watched them work hard and they deserve every bit of it. I believe Victor is the first american-born person to win Blackpool in pro standard, and also the first person of Asian Heritage to win Blackpool.

SDsalsaguy, dlliba10, Purr and 4 others like this.
  2. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

wow! amazing, im glad for them. but what happen to arunas and katusha? did the not enter?

3. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Katusha came down with severe stomach flu and they did not dance

4. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

it must be hard to be sick when its a very important date. I thought maybe they started their own competition event in usa.

5. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I adore Victor and Anastasia, so I am absolutely thrilled they won. Pretty sure I burst into tears when I saw their reaction.

SDsalsaguy and DanceMentor like this.
  6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

happy for Victor and Anastasia, hard working couple ... and victor came up through USA Dance

Rhythmdancer, Sania, Joe and 2 others like this.
  7. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I can neither confirm or deny whether or not I had a similar reaction...

Sania likes this.
  8. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Gotta admit, those onion-cutting ninjas really forced my hand right around the same time as the announcement of the quickstep ...

ajiboyet, FancyFeet, middy and 3 others like this.
  9. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I'm happy for them. They're one of the couples I always look for on the floor.

theAnnelis and Sania like this.
  10. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Me too ;)

11. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Isn't stomach flu something that the pros are aware of and know how to avoid? Washing their hands, not eating rotten food, things like that.

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Some things are unavoidable. No matter how carefully you drive, you can't guarantee that someone isn't going to prang into you.

SDsalsaguy and middy like this.
  13. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I got sick once from eating vegetables that were not handled in the most sanitary way before being served. This was at a restaurant I had been eating at every day for several months leading up to that time, and one of my regular orders for that matter. So it wasn't a strange meal or a new place, and I still went down pretty bad.

I can totally see how something like a stomach flu could sneak up on you even when you're super careful.

raindance likes this.
  14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Some stomach flus are viral. Food related infections tend to be bacterial

Borazine likes this.
  15. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I spoke with Victor's parents last night and they were so happy too! :) The father told me how he had been shooting for this goal since he was 9 years old, and his whole life was focused on this achievement especially. And his mother came over and mentioned how he was the first American born person to win Blackpool, emphasizing how in many ways he did it here in the US from our system, and also how he is the first Chinese or Asian person to win.

She also mentioned how 5 years ago Blackpool had a large surge in Italians, and now it is Chinese who are increasing in their numbers at Blackpool. It will be interesting see in the years ahead if the Chinese make an increasing contribution to ballroom dancing, and are more recognized on the World stage.

singndance likes this.