Ballroom Dance > Viennese Waltz vs. Slow Waltz

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by docco, Jul 10, 2014.

1. docco

docco Member

Ignore the tempo, who can help me to talk about any difference between Viennese Waltz vs. Slow Waltz music? Thanks

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

why?

dancelvr likes this.
  3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

American or International? :p (only half-joking)

dancelvr likes this.
  4. docco

docco Member

You can not dance if you do not understand the music

5. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't see a huge difference...same music.....different tempo. A waltz is 3/4 time...or I suppose it can also have a 6/8 time.

Speed up "Vito's Waltz" to dance VW, and it would sound ridiculous....as would slowing down a Strauss number to dance Slow Waltz.

A piece of music is what it is. Most songs can be tweeked a bit....but, only a bit, or you lose the song. And, most modern music is not written with ballroom dancing in mind. We just find what works, and dance to it....or try to.

That's my humble opinion.

6. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

If something is actually written as a VW, there is emphasis on the 2nd beat and (I assume) the 5th beat. Much of what we dance VW to doesn't have that, however.

Pro: [first part of explanation from above]
    Me: Am I allowed to ignore that because it is over my head at the moment?
    Pro: [it was a decided "no", though I don't remember the wording; another teacher looked alarmed and moved away….]

It stuck enough that when we were getting ready to do a VW to something I said, "hey, where's the emphasis on the 2nd beat" and that's when he explained that much of what we dance VW to was not written as a VW.

7. docco

docco Member

Thanks
    When I were young I is taught to dance V.W. and S.W. with differrent styles. After many years of dancing, I wonder is there any difference between V.W & S.W. music that make dancers feel them different then dance different ?????

If dance is the reflection of music emotion, and if music is no difference then dance should have no difference - the same. Is it stupid to classify it into 2 kinds?

8. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

You may dance VW to many modern rock songs. But there don't seem to be any rock songs that are "slow waltzes."

9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

oh my.... I am a big American Style Viennese Waltz snob! VW music is hugely different. Although I don't have time to expand right now. I will be back.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  10. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

The Viennese custom is to slightly anticipate the second beat, which conveys a faster, lighter rhythm, and also breaks of the phrase. The younger Strauss would sometimes break up the one-two-three of the melody with a one-two pattern in the accompaniment along with other rhythms, maintaining the 3/4 time while causing the dancers to dance a two-step waltz. The metronome speed for a full bar varies between 60 and 70, with the waltzes of the first Strauss often played faster than those of his sons.

The Waltz Emperors. Wechsberg. 1973. C. Tinling & Company. pages 59–61

11. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Are there any sad VWs? I can't really bring any to mind.

Sad SWs abound...SWs can be dark...and moody...and chilling...VWs tend to be lighter and cheerier and happier.

opendoor likes this.
  12. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

WW got phrases of 8 bars or 16. SL doesn't need any.
    WW is in 6/4 whereas SW in 3/4.
    WW got a coda, SW "what is coda?"
    WW breathes the winds of chance in early 19th century, SW the depressive atmosphere at the edge of WW1.
    WW is a variant of a still free living folk dance, SW is an artificial build.
    Enough to leave it seperately?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  13. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Are we talking orchestral Standard VWs? Or what can be used for Smooth VWs? And by sad, do you mean in lyrics? Instrumentation? Modality (minor key)?

If Smooth VWs, a lot of songs come to mind: "Nothing Else Matters" by Bif Naked, "You Lost Me" by Christina Aguilera, "Drip Drop" by Safura, etc.

14. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

That's no contrastive pair. We are talking of musical character, not of dancing styles, interpretations, or the like.

15. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Yes, it is. I'm fairly certain that dlliba10 was talking musical character too. Smooth viennese waltz music can be quite different from classical standard viennese waltz music in terms of character, and not simply due to the difference in tempos. Although that's obviously a major factor.

16. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Oh god yes. Some of my favorite dance songs are am. viennese. But when they slow down a standard viennese for american... ugh, it's like a creepy offkey circus.

17. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

By sad, I mean in every way. But I must admit that I was thinking of only International Style.

18. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

The music is different. They feel completely different. To me, there are completely different characters of dance.

Slow waltz is bittersweet. Romantic, beautiful, and a little bit sad. It's the tragic romance of an epic couple dancing together for what they know is the last time, cherishing the moment and knowing it is about to end.

Viennese waltz is flying. It's innocent, and breathless, and completely and totally free. That said - many modern VWs have a bit more of the melancholy flavor of SW, and that isn't bad. It transforms VW into something closer to - but still different - from a SW...more of a frantic, dark kind of flight, instead of a slow and pensive romance.

Just my $.02.

Ailuene and twnkltoz like this.
  19. TwoRightFeet

TwoRightFeet Active Member

"Skin (Sarabeth)" by Rascal Flats, although you'd have to speed it up a bit -- Can't get much sadder than dying of leukemia...

... although there is "Funeral for my Future Children" by Anna Von Hausswolff.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  20. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Dark and moody Viennese? One definitely comes to mind albeit American Viennese waltz.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    nikkitta likes this.