Tango Argentino > Villa Urquiza

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by bordertangoman, Oct 27, 2008.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what this is and what defines it as a style?

2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

sorry, but it sounds as if I would love to stay there... :)

3. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

ht tp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Urquiza

4. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

You'll find a short, one sentence description of Villa Urquiza style if you head to the Wikipedia article cited above, click on "tango," and scroll down to "Tango Styles." You might also want to try searching for Villa Urquiza on YouTube -- there are plenty of video examples.

5. bordertangoman

I looked but I cant see what makes it so different from milonguero.

6. Me

Me New Member

I'm teaching a workshop in Overstreet Road style tango next week. (Not.)

Nobody has been able to tell me why "Villa Urquiza" is notably unique, but this does not stop people from bringing in an Argentine to teach a workshop in it. To be honest, for me, this just looks like good solid tango packaged with a gimmicky name. If somebody here can offer an explanation of this style I would sincerely appreciate it... All I get are the standard vague answers about "feeling" and "beauty."

7. bordertangoman

"In this class we will work under the Villa Urquiza Style which is recognized for it's elegance, virtuosity and dancing the pause of the music. Villa Urquiza style is not about figures, it's about the musicality and quality of movement focusing on the connection between the partners. We will be working to find comfort, elegance, clarity in the lead, sensitivity in the follow and confidence. "

taken from a V U workshop blurb

in other words its for snobs, as if your tango dancing doesn't already contain these qualities.

And I would say that Chicho dances with all those qualities; so I'm none the wiser.

8. Me

Me New Member

Copy/paste that blurb to any tango workshop flyer. (Bold brackets are my edits.) I honestly don't see how this is different from any solid tango class. These are qualities that transcend names. We should strive for these qualities in all of our tango.

The blurb you posted is all I ever hear about this special style. Nobody I have spoken with can define why it is different except for the exotic sounding name to the non-Argentine ear. (Hoping that does not sound rude.)

I am glad you started this topic. Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable may come along and shed some light!

9. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Re: Urquiza

Its upper class Salón style Tango, far away from the port and the porteños which used to dance what we call Milonguero today. Sin Rumbo lies in Urquiza. The Tango of the golden age tried to dissociate from its own roots. Tango de Salón means the dancing and the music style as well. This is an opportunity to invent a new name (new brand on an old thing).

10. UnfamiliarSameness

UnfamiliarSameness New Member

I'm not going to attempt to define anything (i've no idea) but there's a whole load of interesting videos on Neymelo's youtube channel titled "Origins of Villa Urquiza Style" if you fancy a look.

There's one "Alberto y Esther" with plenty of commentary/comment about defining a style...if I remember correctly.

11. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

As far as I know, Villa Urquiza is a derivative of Close embrace. It started from the neighborhood ("Villa" in Argentina, also used for "House") of Urquiza. Watching it, to the casual observer will not make a difference as the changes are so subtle. However, it makes a BIG difference when you dance with someone who dances that style. It feels very different. The movement, pressure, grounding, etc. I guess you have to experience it to tell the difference.

Here's a video of Jennifer Bratt and Ney Melo. Proponents thereof

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgbt0oD-MnA[/yt]

12. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I think this is what you were going for.

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pgbt0oD-MnA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pgbt0oD-MnA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

13. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Yes, d! That was it. Thanks for the save. :rocker:

14. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

No.

Nothing.

The most important part of a successful business is marketing, and continually reinventing one's self/product. It is the reason why everything on store shelves today is "New and Improved".

Very well said.

You and I usually agree, Amps, but on this one, I'll go halves. Your first few sentences are spot on, but as for VU being different, I must defer to Me's comments about just plain good tango, and Open's post.....

15. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Not a problem, Angel. What I know about VU is strictly anecdotal, and strictly my observations from having partners who do and don't dance this way. :cool:

As Me said, its all " good solid tango."

16. bordertangoman

So should I put a little copyright symbol after "Bordertango"? ;)

17. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Among a series of privates in BsAs with the same teacher she made one session of Villa Urquiza. It was a variation of Salon (i.e we were on our axis, no leaning at all), with emphasis on the precision of the leader's steps (forward is forward and not slightly diagonal) and of the leading (you make the follower step *this* size and not one inch larger or shorter), and we were either stepping on the beat or pausing, no double-time/syncopation whatever.

18. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

And I can already see the impending domino effect. The more people start to feel the squeeze of the present global economic crisis the more "new and improved" (as you say) will hit the milonga market. Deffo! ;)

19. bordertangoman

hmm round here, there is a retrograde movement for "Real & Authentic" tango, a sort of guardia vieja, being led by the local General Galtieri! Galtieri has appointed himself Grand Inquisitor and finds what I teach heretical. Unfortunatley how Galtieri dances would hardly pass muster in Bs As.;)

20. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

"Galtieri" - ha, ha, ha. Memories come flooding back: "Muuummm, Daaaadd. The Argentinians have invaded Scotland". ha, ha, ha.

And hey - nothing wrong with Real & Authentic (whatever that is anyway - my guess is one would probably have to dig through the deepest ends of Africa to dance the O-Riginal tango - I'll betchya). That said, I'll go with the heretical tango anyday. Tada! There you go. Something new, fresh and exciting to plug the market: Heretical Tango. I said it three times - and - it definitely has an enticingly teasing ring about it :)