Tango Argentino > Villa Urquiza

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by bordertangoman, Oct 27, 2008.

1. bastet

bastet Active Member

Most certainly- anyone I know who has been trained by her seems to be most emphatic about what they are dancing.

I think the thing I keep seeing that probably needs clearing up is that appears sometimes that some people think by categorizing stylisically people are trying to say that one tango style is better than another. I think this is an untrue inferrance for one thing. I've never read that in to hardly anyone's comments. (Sure you're going to have an odd one out now and then)

I don't find anything wrong with having a few general categories for things that use different techniques that tend to be associated mainly with that particular style (like body position, embrace type and lack of or use of dissociation). I don't think categories based on that are anything at all like saying one is better than another and are a great training tool.

2. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

According to Tangonuevo, apparently it's AT danced elegantly. Of course, immediately we are faced w/ what that is. Is it the same to/for everyone? If yes, then does that mean that all other styles are not elegant? And, if not, then why does VU have the patent on elegant tango?

Or, maybe, I just don't know. Maybe, I just should have let him answer. :(

3. Angel HI

This was/is not my reference, at all. My point was/is that I believe we overclassify AT to a fault. At some point we mock the dance, and lose the essence, by nitpicking it to death...paralysis by analysis. If you step w/ the toe, then you are dancing A; if you step w/ the heel, you are dancing B; and, if you step w/ the toe, but on an inside edge, you are a Millerphite b/c that is his creation, and...oh, nevermind, that was last year. Have you seen the new couple from ??, they dance the Z Style...she clicks her heels, you know. It's all the rage. Then, off we go...discussing, yet another recreation of what should be just good tango.

Taking nothing away from legitimate style differences; Copes/Dinzel vs Zotto/Angel vs Salas/Naviera...all great...MHO is that we spend way too much time creating way too much confusion making the dance way too much overwhelming, by our incessant order needs of/to identify/title/classify everything that is foreign/not innate.

Sorry...mini-rant over............ [​IMG]

4. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Well that would certainly distinguish it from Orilleo at least ;)

5. Angel HI

Oh Dear God...another name...another style......... :confused:

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Good lord. Eleven pages and still no real answer as to what VU is.

I suppose that that, right there, is an answer in itself.

:rolleyes:

7. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

:rolleyes: It's Milonguero style with the woman's beautiful butt prominently out! :cool:

8. Zoopsia59

Well it probably would have helped if I had spelled it correctly...

Orillero. With an r.

9. Zoopsia59

Oh... then that's what I dance all the time.. even when I'm trying not to. Glad to know its a legitimate style after all and not just my lack of abdominal control ... ;)

I don't have poor posture.. I'm dancing VU!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I LIKE this definition!!! (Especially since it's not unheard of for my teacher to either correct me for losing tone in my core, or ask me if I'm letting myself go swaybacked. For a while now, my answer has been no--I haven't lost tone, and I'm not swaybacked. Which is usually followed by a "laying on of hands" on my stomach to check or something similar...followed by some stammering on his part about not being able to tell from glancing in the mirror, and a comment about curves. :rolleyes: At least he has the decency to look abashed, lol.)

FWIW, I think of VU as brand name salon style. Perhaps there's something different. I don't see it, and I've never read anything which suggest otherwise. If it genuinely feels different I wouldn't know; the only couple I know of who "advertises" their VU style is Ney/Jennifer, and I wasn't honored by his asking me to dance the two times I've seen him in person. (And, you all "know" me...of course I wouldn't dream of asking him. Or just about any other guy, for that matter.)

11. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

If I'm allowed to add some confusion, there is a style named elegante (elegance/elegancia), advocated by Orlando Paiva Jr, which is a kind of Salon danced with (self-proclaimed) elegance. So, it has all the features of VU. But on his site Mr Paiva says nothing about VU and names this styme "Paiva style".

12. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

This is estilo Geraldine, not VU.

13. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Yup.

My only reason for asking is to know whether this is something I "should" be aware of, or not.

For example, I missed a trick in Salsa in the late 90s, by completely ignoring the cross-body style - I dismissed it as a fad, and then got caught out when it swept through like an all-conquering whatsit.

But, it sounds like this VU is, frankly, nothing - if no-one can clearly define it, I'm not going to worry about it.

14. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Finally, a constructive post on the subject.

:mrgreen:

15. bafonso

bafonso New Member

If you can't see a difference, then it's nothing to you. Some people want to see things so they can market, write and talk about it. Other times, you'll need to dance with someone from those neighborhoods to understand it.

16. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

If you can't describe the difference, in a consistent and general way, then it's not a general style, it's just the way one or two specific individuals dance.

I can (for example) provide definitions of the differences between LA and Cuban salsa style, or between Nuevo and Fantasia. But no-one, so far, seems to be able to do the same for "VU style" - and no, "elegance" isn't enough.

So until someone can provide this, I'm sticking with "it's nothing"...

17. bastet

bastet Active Member

me too!

18. bastet

bastet Active Member

well- I never gave my two cents worth...but I'll give it a go...mainly becasue I did have lessons with Jennifer, but I'd say that's my only claim to having an opinion.

I put it in with general Salon in terms of technique because the focus is the walk (as opposed to in place, rhythmic movements like in milonguero) even though the flat offset embrace Jennifer taught me fits more with milonguero...and if you ask Jennifer she most likely will group it in Salon as well. She most adamantly told us when we had several months of lessons that the embrace we were going for was not apilado.

I do see some couples who are categorized in this way (as dancing VU) tending to use specific figures (namely a turn to the left that then whips back around to a forward ocho across the lead past his right side....and I see this move fairly consistently in dancers like Jennifer and Ney, Javier and Andrea (and Javier and Geraldine before that), plus great emphasis on the walk, not too much emphasis on breaking in to open embrace....but I'm not sure if that's the type of thing you are looking for in an explaination.

That's all I can come up with technically, as a non-Argentine outsider who may not have inside information on it....take it with a grain of salt...just like anything else...as I said in another thread, I tend to use 3 categories of style and I delineate those by very distinct types of embrace and also technique differences so I group what some people call VU in with Salon and just don't worry too much about it.

For what it's worth- if you haven't learned that fun little turn (we call it the Ney and Jennifer turn), and can get it in a class, go learn it...it has a lovely feel (at least from the follows side).

19. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

That's pretty close to what bafonso said, "If you can't see a difference, then it's nothing to you."

I'll admit that I don't really understand all about Villa Urquiza Style, but I'm not ready to conclude that it doesn't exist. To be honest, I'm more interested in improving my skills and (hopefully) creating my own style.

20. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Castello is his preferred spelling.