Tango Argentino > Villa Urquiza

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by bordertangoman, Oct 27, 2008.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

This thread is getting like an Umberto Eco plot ; mystery inside an enigma within a labaryinth;
    The Knights Templar of Urquiza guard the secrets of the tango style that has passed down seven generations; each knight holds only a seventh of the key to the mystery;
    The evil BTM has found three of the keys and their guardians have met with "accidents"
    Now begins the race for the four reamining keys and the battle between good and evil continues.

Sorry its friday afternoon in the BTM calendar and I'm losing the plot or reinventing it?

2. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Cor, has the makings of a powerful synopsis to a story to beat Dan Brown. You jest, but Knights Templar of Urquiza sounds bloody good title. Crikey O'Reilly, I might nick that myself. Ha, ha, ha.

3. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

This is the part when you realize you have to change the movie to "Wallace & Gromit." Something less heavy and a bit more entertaining.

4. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

No worries....

(where's the cheese?)

5. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I guess that Amps and I are 'somewhat' responsible for instigating the length of this thread. But, this is what we are talking about. Elegante is a description..not a style. Apilado is used here as a description...not a style. VU is a description that was created/marketed into a style (note that I did not say "as a", I said "into a").

Yes, it's a fairly common little grouping regardless of which "style" one is learning.

6. Angel HI

:uplaugh: Best post in the thread.

7. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Isn't what you are describing just a back boleo with the follower's right leg into a forward ocho?

I must be missing something because that would be pretty common and I wouldn't think of it as something that you'd need very specific instruction from certain teachers on. (and certainly not any kind of "signature" move)

Can you post a video with a time count to show the move you are refering to?

8. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Would you describe the turn you are referring to, or if you have a link to video of the turn, I'd be curious to know what this turn is that you are describing.

9. bastet

bastet Active Member

I've seen it most used by Javier and (partners), Jennifer and Ney, and also Mamie and Carlitos somtimes. A cute turn with a flourish....at about 1:00-1:05

I'm sorry I have never figured out how to embed video...feel free to repost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6YMpeJGg6U

10. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

From several different sources, I have heard this move called a "milonguero dip". Basically, for a follower, it is just a sharp forward ocho with a vertical change. It does feel very nice indeed... as if somebody turned off the gravity for a moment, and you are flying, but at the same time still are very connected to your partner, and in control :)
    I do not see why it is considered a signature move. Quite a few people I dance with have it in their repertoir.( Most of them are on the more advanced level of tango, though... or, at least, intermediate). Including my regular teacher whose style, btw, is very "salon".

11. Angel HI

*cringing again at the apparent need to name "everything"* (Not meant for you Lily).
    I have never known this move to have a particular name, and certainly not one attributed to "milonguero" (dance nor person). And, though it could be someone's sig, yes, I agree that it is seen everywhere.

12. bastet

bastet Active Member

Don't know- never heard it called a name. And like I said- Jennifer, if asked, classifies what she and Ney dances as Salon, so I'm also not trying to say it's a milonguero move.

13. Me

Me New Member

These look like plain old fans to me. The first style that comes to mind is American. These are pretty much a standard on American tango syllabi. Now, this isn't to say the students are always taught how to lead them, or to dance the elements well, so if you're watching a particularly bad couple, it looks like they are squatting and her leg is flopping behind, as though dead, a mere afterthought... does not remotely compare to, or look anything like, what is danced in the video link here.

Am I not looking at the right part of the video? Haven't had my coffee this morning, so... [​IMG]

Feel free to kick me.

14. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

I totally join in the Angel's feeling about the urge to label everything, the moves, the styles. Words can clarify as well as create more confusion. For example, in my understanding, the word "milonguero" does not always mean "belonging to milonguero style"(whatever it might be in the first place), but in some cases it might, and here we go...

Anyway, I merely thought sharing what I heard as a name for the move in question might help to identify it, but now I see how and why it did not :)

15. Angel HI

Absolutely. Just posted somewhere that when Suzanna coined that term, the primary intent wasn't to name a style, rather to identify it as being what a particular culture did. There was/is nothing wrong w/ naming a style after it per se, but persons get carried away w/ it.

16. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Are you implying that VA style is down to wearing the Wrong Trousers?

17. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Nope. I meant that when...

Then its time to change the movie into a happier one. Wallace and Gromit was the first one to pop into mind at the time of writting. Perhaps I should have listed "Chicken Run," or "Finding Nemo" instead?

18. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, that is one of my favorite videos of Ney and Jennifer. It looks like the follower is doing front ochos, but they are overturned on only one side (while Ney does some fancy, energetic stepping). I occasionally will do a more sedate version, similar to what is on this video below (starting at around 4:39), although I'm pretty sure that Dario leads it a tad better than I do.

:wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9lf8gBU5wI

19. tangonuevo

tangonuevo New Member

20. Angel HI

:p From the ref. post above, http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/tango-l/2008-November/009325.html : "In my opinion this is the root of tango, as it has all the movements of tango, the other styles have adopted some of the moves of traditional tango to adapt to certain conditions or to achieve certain effects.
    It is the style as danced in "Villa Urquiza" and called by that name by some. - Sergio"

You need not sound so dejected, :) We know that some call this style of dancing VU. Our earlier point/s was/were not that you were in err, but that VU needn't be singled out from just plain, good, basic AT (which [calling it good basic tango] is also posted in the comment by Sergio).