Dancers Anonymous > Vrey Itnretesnig....

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by salsarhythms, Sep 22, 2003.

1. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer

in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht

the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a

wlohe."

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:shock:

Hmmm, seems to be true though...just please don't get any ideas for your forum postings, ok? :wink:

3. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat????? whtaeevr! :p

4. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

No worries SD...I don't think I'd have the patience to
    write something like that... :D

It is pretty interesting though...did you have any trouble
    reading it?

At first it catches you off guard because you know that
    it's not spelled right, but the funny thing is you can just read
    it...

5. SDsalsaguy

No, no trouble at all. I couldn't read it quite as fast, but I'm guessing that was my conscious mind double checking that I had it "right" since the normal "rules" weren't being adhered to. It does, however, suggest some interesting things about literacy and cognition since, obviously, the same phenomenon doesn’t cross over into spoken language. (Sorry, classes start this week so I guess the anthropologist in me is coming out.)

6. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Hey SD, not so fast. Don't forget when you were a kid and spoke "Pig-Latin." Do you remember? ake-tay the irst-fay etter-lay and ut-pay it in ack-bay.

7. SDsalsaguy

No, I still think that's different, since full linearity is maintained, and systematically at that. Also that was really a matter of, literally, spelling out a word, not full word recognition. Mind you I could be wrong, I'm neither a linguistic anthropologist nor a linguist...

8. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

No copmenrde en Esnpaol

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This is cool and lots of fun. Thanks, salsarhythms. I had no problem reading either, once I realized what was going on.

Maybe this works on the same kind of concept as television -- which never has a complete picture on the screen. We see a complete picture because the images are moving very quickly, and our brain fills in the blanks.

Or maybe it's the same concept as a dyslexic person learning to read -- they essentially "see" differently than everyone else when looking at written words, but, with proper training, learn to read and fucntion quite well.

Who knows. Either way, I thought this was fun! :D

10. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

I have seen the same in Danish. Here the fist to letters, and the last two letters have to be placed correctly. The order of the rest doesn’t matter. :shock: :wink:

11. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Hmm...very interesting indeed! I didn't really have troubles reading it...only a few words caught me up...the rest was good.

Ig-pay atin-lay!!! I ove-lay ig-pay atin-lay!!! :D

12. will35

will35 New Member

There is a custom in Buenos Aires of changing the syllables around when speaking a word. Ex. Tango to Gotan, muchachos to chochamus, caballo to llabaco. It is a little annoying to some people. The rules are not very strict, as long as it is nice and screwed up.

13. pygmalion

Did ya ever speak ubby dubby (like on Zoom, the PBS kids' show?)

14. dancersdreamland

Never heard of ubby dubby...how's it go?

15. pygmalion

Will spell it out in the AM when my brain is less fried. Bottom line, very similar to pig-latin, but with the syllable ub inserted. Pretty cool. My twin sister an I spoke only in ubby-dubby for years. Made everybody in my family really mad! It was great! :twisted: :wink: :lol:

16. pygmalion

Ha! Good thing I was browsing through old topics today, or I'd never have remembered this! To speak ubbi dubbi (I checked the spelling :lol: ) place the syllable ub before every vowel sound. Like my name, Jenn, becomes Jubenn. Hello becomes hubellubo. And so on. It's actually spelled out, a little, on the PBS kids website.

http://pbskids.org/cgi-registry/zoom/ubbidubbi.cgi

But that's it in a nutshell. Add the ub sound. My twin sister and I were fluent in it, and spoke it for years. It was featured on the PBS kids' show, Zoom, during the seventies, and revived when Zoom came back in the late nineties. Cool!

17. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

HAHAHHAAAAAAAAA. My boss received this email last week and brought it too the daily meeting. The funniest thing about it was that he is a TERRIBLE speller and always missplaces letters. :lol:

18. pygmalion

Yeah, but I bet you know what he means when he misspells, don't ya? :lol:

19. dancersdreamland

Jenn - Thanks for explaining the "ub." I'll have to give it a try at work this week and thoroughly confuse the office. :D

20. pygmalion

Cool! It's amazing how quickly you become fluent. :lol: :D