Country and Western > Wait a sec.... Polka?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Boynextdoor, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

Why is polka in C&W? I realize it is a great dance and it transcends borders, but I thought it was more... Ballroomy...

In fact, I just posted a thing on it in ballroom... :headwall: Jeeze...

Anyhoo, can someone tell me if doing a polka to the Mickey Mouse Club March is just the frantic ravings of a polka starved child or if it would make sense?

2. dancingdoc

dancingdoc New Member

For me, I think knowing how to dance polka in a CW venue is just another tool in your toolbox. Yes, if all you know how to dance is two step, you could also dance a very fast two step to the typical polka songs played where I dance (they are very fast); but doing a polka just "fits better" to the music. On the ballroom side I know I feel frustrated when a samba song is played because I don't know how to samba. I suppose I could dance another dance that I DO know to it, but it just wouldn't fit.

The music suggests the dance to me, not the other way around. And there are definitely polka friendly country songs that are popular. By the way, I love picking up new albums and then figuring out what songs can be danced to each song.

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Ballroom competitions have polka as an entry as well.

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I speculate that you could question the same vis-a-vis Cha Cha, or Waltz, or NC2S, or WCS, or ECS . . . leaving only the 2 Step and Triple 2 for C&W dances to be danced to C&W music. Who assumed that any of those dances are "strictly ballroom" (pun intended)?

It's just that, somewhere, along the way, someone happened to do a Waltz to 6 count C&W music, then someone tried a Cha to Cha type C&W music, then of course, WCS developed into it, and when the WCS music was too fast to dance to, they tried an ECS. Isn't it fair to add a Polka to Polka-possible music?

Then somebody in the C&W dance world said . . . "Hey, let's have a dance competition, but we can't have only 2 dances, so let's add the Waltz, the Polka, the Cha Cha, WCS, the ECS, and the NC2S." Now there are eight dances that are seen most often, and a few others that are infrequently danced!

As a final point, not all dances are strictly constrained to specific dance venues . . . believe it or not, I shockingly heard a 2 Step begin to play during a break at a "Ballroom Only" event, and many, many more of those in the audience who previously didn't get up for the ballroom music, got up to dance to the 2 Step music!

However . . I hear ya . . and so to are many of the rulemakers for most C&W venues. Dances are getting more and more structured to look like the ballroom equivalency.

5. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

Hahahaha, Vince, you're a nut.

Wow, I didn't know country western places had all those types of dances...

Wait... How do you waltz to a 6 count?

So what's the verdict to the Mickey mouse Club March?

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

1,2,3 4,5,6

ANd yes, I guess you could Polka to the MMC theme song . . . but not me!

7. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

Haha! Success!

How do you do the feet?

8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Many Germans immigrated to Texas. They brought their music and dance with them, and they had an influence on "cowboy" dances. Hence, polka in country western.
    The ballroom people seem to adopt popular dances. They then standardize them and teach people the "correct" way to do the dance. They are very specific in how things are done.
    A good example is Tango. Argentine Tango is now very different than the various styles of ballroom tango, and AT people aren't very interested in codifying how to do their dance.
    The 1998 "Dance with Me" highlights the difference between ballroom Latin dance, and what is sometimes called "street style".
    And let's not forget some other country western dances that are done several times each evening (at least here in Oregon): schottiche, cowboy cha cha, and horse shoe.

9. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

At a recent ballroom social I attended, there was a couple who were obviously very proficient country dancers. They didn't know all the ballroom dances, so they danced a Two-step to Quickstep music. It worked great and was really fun to watch. They also did WCS to rumba music, which worked but not as well.

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

It is essentially the exact same dance, albeit, less of a box-step look. More about traveling CCW around the dance floor, and much, much, more moves, and combinations of moves. Same whisks, hesitations, twinkles, chasses, relevees (spelling - someone???), etc., etc., etc.

Different clothes give it a different look. Different music gives it a different sound, but if you blocked out the look of the clothes and put earplugs in, and watched a couple C&W dancers doing a Waltz . . . you'd know it was a Waltz.

11. Steve Pastor

Vince and all:
    Ballroom dancers are taught to affect a very specific posture. They also do things like put their arm and hand out parallel to the ground with the hand curved downward when they separate.
    Country western is a lot more relaxed. Look carefully and you might see a lot of what I call the "cowboy slouch".
    When I see "ballroom dancers" dancing at a country western place, I think the way they dance shouts ballroom.
    But, yeah, you would know it was a waltz.

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Good points, Steve . . .

13. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Did somone call

"Super Speller"

to the rescue?:D

Releve with an accent` over the last e. From the French, from ballet.

Hey you ol':cowboy: ! I was just thinking of you. Long time, no see.
    Did you miss the 2005 DF Awards?

14. chachachacat

Yeah, and we worked hard on good posture and graceful arms and hands, thank you!:)

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hey ccc,
    How are you? How is the bod doing? Are you dancing?

Thanks for the spelling help . . . and to think, I write for a living. I should have looked like I normally do!!!

Yea . . . I agree with working the arms and hands, and my Pro and my coach would skin me alive for "slouching" . . . not only in Waltz, but any of my dances. Hell, they yelled at me if I stood in anything than third position while being introduced . . .

16. chachachacat

I am doing pretty well, thanks. How are you?
    "The bod" enjoyed the holidays - there's a good excuse!
    I danced with my SO a couple times on vacation, meaning he fakes a swing and a fox-ish thing. No, he won't let me teach him.
    Here's to more dancing in 2006!

17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

That is good to read!!!
    Good for right now . . . weight coming off ery slowy, but Pro-Am Showcase training starts next week, so I should lose 20 pretty quickly! Plus, we have a World Champion (female) swing dancer coming to our house next weekend for both days to work with my wife . . . I hope to get a few privates in-between with her! More weight adn great training.
    Is there a smile on your face???
    Some men are just hard-headed . . . not me of course:raisebro:
    A lot more dancing . . wish I had the energy of my wife . . . three hours Friday night, five hours on Saturday, and six hours on Sunday. Yeow . . . I do have other priorities . . . there were football games on this weekend!!!

Take care . . .:kissme:

18. Boynextdoor

Boynextdoor New Member

Wow, all this time apparently I've had a country western posture!

19. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

20. Steve Pastor

I did not write that there was anything wrong with dancing ballroom style when you are doing country. It was an observation of what to me is obvious. Last night I watched a woman line dancing with a very erect posture, arms held straight down at her sides, and tight, intricate foot work. Irish step dancer, I'll bet. A good friend of mine who danced jazz for a long time looks like a jazz dancer when she line dances, an observation I've shared with her many times.
    As I've learned different dances and styles, I know that the way I approach things has changed. Doing the Irish inspired line dance "Whirly Reel"? Hey, I want to look like the River Dance people (as best I can). When I do the line dance "Hip Hop" I want to look like the dancers in "You Got Served". Dancing to Ricky Martin's "Uno Dos Tres"? Guess what I try to do there.
    "Save the Last Dance" has a scene I really enjoyed about a ballet dancer learning to do hip hop.
    You get the point - different music - different styles.
    But, that's just me. As long as you are willing to share the floor, do what makes you happy.
    Country western really isn't the Dark Side, but it IS different in some ways.
    And, yeah, I like polka, too, but hardly anyone does it where I dance. (I try to look like Frankie Yankovic when I dance polka (just kidding!))