Country and Western > Wait a sec.... Polka?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Boynextdoor, Jan 4, 2006.

1. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

Yes- that's the general idea, for us, at least :twisted:.

The reason we're AT the country/western place is only because we couldn't find any ballroom venue at that particular last moment.

How can we spot country two-steppers at a ballroom venue? Betcha it isn't the posture OR the styling...

Easy... the two-step is the only thing they know, and do... to every single song.

:D (all in good fun, and yes, that was a broad-stroke, tongue-in-cheek generalization. If anybody is curious as to why the two-step joke, it's a long story, Lol)

PS: If you were dancing to Martin's "Maria", the original version would be a samba, the Nevins remix would be a cha-cha, and who knows what the other mixes would be. :)

2. kayak

kayak Active Member

Now, we have to ask for the long story! Even I can dance more than just the two-step :)

3. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

This gent down here is eighty-four years old. When he asked us if we danced, we said yes, he said "Oh, come on, then, let's dance!"... it was a waltz playing at the moment, so when he started "two forward, one back, draggin' them feet allllll the way around", I was shocked. I felt like a pack mule being dragged around. "What, don't you know how to dance? You said you did," he started.

"Well yeah- we've been doing beginner ballroom and social stuff... "

"Oh! Well that's crap... nobody does that stuff, the two-step... that's what all the kids is doin' now..."

I sat down, puzzled. My partner was sitting there snickering at me (so I whacked him upside the head).

The next place we went to dance, a guy came up "Would you like to two-step?"... it was a west-coast-swing song.

Everywhere we GO here, it's the same fossils doing the SAME TWO STEP to EVERYTHING. When they lead you into something, they treat you like modeling clay- they just throw you right into it and through it, then yank you back out, and then stand there for ten minutes and tell you what you should have done to not screw up, LOL. I felt like I was going to get a switch taken to me a couple times.

Later on, the first old guy who knew "ballroom dancing" finally told some friends of mine "Well... I'd danced IN a ballroom... I thought that counted... I mean, ain't street dancin' when you're out in the road in the summer when they play bluegrass?".... :headwall: LOL

4. kayak

kayak Active Member

Well, that explains everything. All you really needed to do was turn up his hearing aid.

Yea, there is no lack of bad dancing at a country bar. But think of all the money you are saving on yoga sessions with all the extra stretching?

5. SIBruno

SIBruno New Member

Are there alot of steps in polka? All I know of is that hoppy step that almost looks like a quickstep move. I don't really know country western so just curious :)

6. kayak

kayak Active Member

You can have a great time just doing triple step left, triple step right and bounding around the floor. However, there are a bunch of inside, outside turns, cuts and whips.

7. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

I liked polka. I was advised, however, that it was uncouth to so much as say "the P word" in our studio, so I've sadly abandoned it for now.

I miss polka.

8. blue

blue New Member

Haha, to me polka primarily is Swedish/Nordic folk dance... no kidding! although variants of polka such as "polkett" is more common, and the polka is quite a bit younger than the other dances in the genre. Actually most "traditional" social dances in Europe originally were dances for the nobility danced at the courts in like 17th century, and then spread to common people. It seems the polka made a similar transition later on, on more than one place on the globe.

Just as a comparison the Nordic folk dance also includes a variety of waltz. I have no problem with the ballroomers doing their version, but it is quite different and also danced to music a bit different - bot clearly waltzes, but different.

9. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Don't forget skips!

10. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Hugs to you for your "location." I love the polka, too. It's just fun. Even though a lot of people at our studio compete in c&w, we never do polka in class or at parties. Occasionally they will play one at the USADance dance, and my husband and I will do our routine--I can't even drag my teacher out to do it with me!

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

. . . backwards, at that . . .

12. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Ha!...Yes! With arms, and while turning!

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

. . . and usually holding hands with your parner!

Who said the Polka was easy!

14. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I guess this is mostly for PasoDancer, but it applies to everyone.
    My two favorite "categories" of dance are country western and Argentine Tango. The thing they have in common is that these forms are not dominated by studios. Maggie complains that she can't even find a syllabus for AT.
    And, although there are competitions for both CW and AT, one AT saying is that "ballroom competes, Argentine Tango connects".
    I made up my own dance to "Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)" and have danced it for over a year while everyone else did the line dance "Hip Hop". Some people told me they liked what I was doing. Some people asked what the heck I was doing. But No One told be I shouldn't be doing it. (course they knew they would be wasting their breath)
    What does this have to do with polka?
    If you want to dance polka, try going to a CW place, and wait for a fast two step. All you need is two people. If someone questions you, tell them you are doing polka, and tell them it goes really well with that music. Ask if they wanna' learn. Tell them the old cowboys used to do it. Heck, that's not even a lie.
    If you aren't running into other people, and are respectful of how They are dancing, I would be willing to bet they will accept what you are doing.
    You might even start a trend.

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

In almost every C&W place that I've been to dance, many do Polka. Never knew it was even questioned . . . it's a natural dance, as is the 2 Step and the Triple 2, at a place that plays C&W music . . . the music makes you do the dance that fits!

16. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

The problem with all the C&W places here is that the floor is completely and rudely dominated by linedancers. Some places have liners over here, partner-ers over there... most are courteous... but not at places like Kornbread (yes,) Junction in Tunnel Hill. The partner dancers will already BE on the floor, THEN the linedancers bump into people and maneuver everyone out of the way- and then start dancing. To a waltz.

We'll just practice on our own, and then, if the opportunity ever presents itself, we'll do it again sometime.

17. kayak

kayak Active Member

One thing I noticed is that the word polka sounds old, so calling it a triple step makes it sound like something different.

Didn't the triple-2 step get started because so much of the cw music was fast enough that everyone was getting exhausted doing polkas?

18. VRRDA

VRRDA New Member

[FONT=Times New (W1)]I am really enjoying the topics posted on Dance Forums, so I cannot resist commenting on the ideas coming up in this thread.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New (W1)] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New (W1)]Why Polka? Probably because, like Swing, Rock and Street Latin, it is a people dance, spontaneous, boisterous and joyful. Not studied and overly formularised.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New (W1)]It is easy to hear the German, oompah band, influence in Mexican music.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New (W1)]We use a Polka move in Rock dancing for a bigger, faster triple step.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New (W1)]Lately we have had a flood of Ballroom people coming to social Rock’n’Roll. They are easy to pick by their upright posture, the studied arm gestures and the numbers on their backs.[/FONT]

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

LMAO . . . a perfect description!

20. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I took one class in Polka during a County and Swing convention. It sure was a lot harder than it looks. Most of the people in the class were country dancers and they all commented on how hard the class was. And of course, I don't remember any of the moves today, but it was a fun class.