Dance Ads > WANTED - Professional Studio with a Teacher Training Program

Discussion in 'Dance Ads' started by Me, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Me

Me New Member

I am an amateur in search of a full-time professional position in a professional studio, where I may obtain on-the-job certification in a nationally/internationally recognized syllabus. More information and videos of my dancing are available upon request.

The studio I am in search of must employ certified professionals, must host regular coachings, and must maintain a healthy relationship with surrounding professional and community ballroom establishments.

I am willing to relocate.

2. reb

reb Active Member

Well stated - this ability should serve you, and your future studio, well.

3. Laura

Laura New Member

Are you willing to relocate?

4. Me

Me New Member

Yes, I am very willing to relocate. I will add that to my announcement. *edits*

Thanks Laura. :)

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

In that case, Metronome in San Francisco.

6. Laura

Laura New Member

7. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I wish there were more schools like that around! ;)

8. Me

Me New Member

Thank you for the ballroom college information. :) I had decided earlier that particular program wasn't what I need at this point, because of the DVITA DVD. From what I can tell, the 'How to Get Certified' (which cost me about $200) is made by the same people associated with the college, and the DVD is filled with mistakes. Some are corrected very poorly - as in when Diane misspeaks while demonstrating what can be very confusing (line of dance) did they reshoot the scene? NO! They just printed a subtitle underneath her, correcting her spoken error. This is done throughout the entire DVD, and not all spoken errors (by her and in some cases, her students) are corrected. The manual which accompanies the DVD is only about 50 pages long - it was extremely lacking.

I am not questioning the integrity of DVITA - I do question the integrity of the ballroom program based on that DVD, and the integrity of the educational institution behind it.

But anyway, thank you for the suggestion. :) Any others?

9. Laura

Laura New Member

Well, all I can say is that I understand your reaction the materials, as a partner and I once tried to use the Gold Smooth manuals to help us learn Smooth. We quickly found out that we were pretty much guinea pigs for the material.

However, I have taken lessons with Diane, (she taught a 3-month-long Silver-level Standard group class) and know many teachers who have, and she is really a great teacher of teachers. Also, people I know who have been through her program say that they found themselves VERY prepared for the ISTD exams after doing the DVIDA stuff with her.

10. Me

Me New Member

Hmm. Well, that's good to know. Maybe I'll ask more questions about the college. Up until now, all I had to go on was the DVD where she (and her students) omitted important information or just flat said the wrong thing, and their mistakes were 'corrected' with printed sub-titles. It left a very bad impression with me, LOL!

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I can't speak to the DVD issue, and I can certainly understand where that would give rise to your concerns. That said, I am unaware of a better program anywhere in the country and, as Laura has noted, I have never heard anything but impeccable reviews from those who have trained with Diane.

12. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Extreme Dancesport in Cambridge, MA offers a teaching certification program.

extremedancesport.com

Good luck, sounds like a lot of fun and excitement.

13. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

However, to my knowledge, its basically the same program as Diane Jarmolow's, just on the east coast. Most of the publicly available information is near identical, and when I met Ms Jarmolow last year, she commented on how she was the consultant behind Extreme's offering.

So the program will be similar -- different instructors, different city, but the same underlying course for better or worse.

(I was considering Extreme's program for a while, but the relatively early start time of the course makes it near impossible to do after a full-time day-job.)

14. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

OK. I was giving her an alternate location.

15. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

What area of the ballroom dances do you want to emphasize in your teaching?

To the extent that a training program is merely preparing you for the tasks of teaching this may not matter yet. You will still have to get a lot of the information (especially for specific dances) from other sources. However, some of your objections sound like those of someone looking for precise information faced with a more casual setting. If you don't feel that what you are being offered is going to provide the depth you need, you may want to either strike out on your own immediately (seeking out individual teachers to help you with specific areas), or do a very shallow program as an intorduction to teacher training and then plan on getting all of your detail on your own.

16. Me

Me New Member

Thank you for the replies everybody. :)

Sadly, I understand that the 'ideal' I strive for is rare, but idealy (har har) should NOT be an ideal, but a standard.

I'm still questing for the perfect studio... any more suggestions are very VERY appreciated. Surprisingly, I've gotten some e-mails and phone calls, some referred from this VERY message. (Lots of people come to dance-forums!)

Hopefully I will find the dream job!