Dance Ads > Wanted: Standard floats

Discussion in 'Dance Ads' started by middy, Nov 3, 2012.

1. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured this would be the best spot?

I managed to lose one of my standard/smooth dress's floats at a comp and am therefore in need of a replacement and/or brand new floats. How should I go about getting new custom ones to match my dress, and about how much would it set me back? They don't have to be anything particularly fancy, just functional, either with sleeves or arm bands, that sort of thing. I bought the dress used from Europe, so I don't have a dressmaker to go to.

Thanks!

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

it is so easy to go to the fabric store and pick out some chiffon that will work....you just then take it to a seamstress, have it cut in the shape of the old one and have her surge (sp? is that the term) the edges...then you can either have snaps added in the proper places, or cuffs or whatever you like...I have done this before several times

3. fascination

if you don't want to do that, I am sure you could call any of the dress vendors for a quote

4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

"serge" ;)

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The trouble will be finding the proper color match to the other float(s) and/or the rest of the dress.

6. fascination

thx 3w...as to color match, you can either toss the other float or deliberately go for something different, which can be nice as well....but, since you have one float to take with you, ought not be that difficult

7. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Not necessarily easy, even with another floats with you; Really sorry for OP for losing the float. I once had a light blue dress which I needed some replacement feather for skirt, took me entire afternoon, visited many fabric stores in fashion district in NYC, finally found a shade of blue matched the original color, that's just for matching feathers, I would be crying if I lost one of the floats! I hate fabric shopping, lots of time spending with very little results:(

The best way is to go to original designer, also depends if the shade of color is something common, like white, black, red, pink, blue or something easily identifiable from a color chart, e.g. Chrisanne fabric chart, so than just re-order that same color fabric.

8. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it's Chrisanne blue lagoon, but I'm not sure what type of fabric exactly. Does the "luxury georgette" sound like a reasonable float material?

On another note, I wish I could sew! The Chrisanne fabrics are sooo pretty.

9. fascination

that sounds right

10. middy

middy Well-Known Member

About how many yards would be required for two floats?

11. fascination

I'd get three yards...minimum....

12. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

You can e-mail Chrisanne, they have a USA representative that will reply, I would attach a picture of your dress, and a close up of the fabric your trying to match to the e-mail. They are very helpful-in trying to match colors and such, as well the style of Float your re-creating. I like the idea of complete opposite color or a mixing of colors e.g., steamer/swirled floats that hang off the arms/gloves and lovely and interesting in shape and form and allow for combinations of colors. Just a thought. 3 Yards is normally enough fabric, keep in mind Chrisanne Fabrics are measured in metric meters which is slightly larger than the English measurement of "yard". Good luck though, if your near an actual fabric district per se, as in Downtown Los Angeles or New York.

13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Chrisanne will send you a couple of swatches for color samples. Pick a couple colors and send them an email with your address asking for them, they are usually very prompt and friendly. Be warned though, the shipping is very pricey to ship even a small package over (they won't charge you shipping on the swatches though).

14. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Email a picture of the float to Chrisanne and they will tell you promptly and precisely how many yards you need to purchase. They are very experienced and friendly. I second what Mindputte said that shipping is very pricey because is international shipping from England. However I still recommend buy from Chrisanne and not to search other places for cheaper options, at least Chrisanne can assure quality and be helpful with matching color and give suggestions what type of fabric best for the style of float you are trying to create. Best luck with that!