Country and Western > Wanting to learn the basics of C&W dancing...

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by el5amu3l, Jan 22, 2005.

1. el5amu3l

el5amu3l New Member

I'm going to take private lessons, but first I would like know what I am getting myself into...

-I'm wanting to go dancing at a dance hall next week, do you think I will learn enough in 2-3 lessons to not embarass myself? (I know I won't be some great dancer, I just don't want to go and be clueless.)

-What are the dances I will probably learn in 2-3 lessons?

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

First of all . . . Welcome to the DF . . . we can help you with many questions, but it's hard to predict how you'll do w/o seeing you first dance, or maybe just see you walk.

I'd certainly like to see how much coordination you have . . . how your coordination is . . . etc.

Do you know anything about music???

One thing . . . remember, almost all of us that now dance STARTED just the way you are doing it. So jump in there . . . get your feet wet . . . don't embarassed . . . don't get frustrated . . . don't give up.

Are you still with me??? I know you are . . . are you male or female . . . which helps us understand what you'll be doing - leading or following. There is a difference, although you don't have a male or a female to lead and follow. Both sexes do both parts very well these days.

And if you are cluless, so what/ Are you going to quit? Of course not.

Again, don't worry about the embarassment . . . try to get as comfortable as you can with the basic footwork, and work on that until it feels natural.

Don't worry about turning yet. If you do, great. If not . . . you'll get there.

You said "the basics of C&W dancing."

To me . . . that's the 2 Step and East Coast Swing. Then maybe a slow dance . . . called the Night Club 2 Step.

Good luck . . . get back to us and let us know how you did!

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yep, Vince. I was thinking NC2S and two-step would be good candidates. 8)

4. gitjiggy

gitjiggy New Member

If you want to learn how to country dance..............

Go to a country western nightclub, get drunk, find a nice gal and get on the floor. Its how I learned. The best way to learn is to spend some time at some clubs and just dance. Meet others who dance, and in no time, you will be dancing. Secondly, its free and you don't have to spend lots of money on a dance instructor when learning the basics. If the club teaches lessons, then make sure you are there. Unfortunately, most country nightclub instructors suck especially if you don't live in areas like Texas or Louisiana.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Re: If you want to learn how to country dance..............

"Ahem." And how would you know? You've never attended one of my classes! :wink:

6. gitjiggy

gitjiggy New Member

How would I know?

I used to be a competitive dancer. I've dancing country for 13 years and that is how I got my start. I don't know your background, but if you're not at least a Div 1, Masters, or ballroom competitor, I would never take lessons from you.

I only take lessons from the best. Of course, that's me now. A beginner dancer should not have to spend a crap load of money to learn how to dance. They can learn the same thing at a country bar than they can from taking private lessons from someone who will most likely rape them for their pocketbook. I used to instruct also. I know how most of you instructors will take 4-8 weeks to just teach someone the basics so you get the most money out of a student. Also, if its a female student, you're mostly likely trying to get in her pants.

How you like them apples buddy.

7. pygmalion

Wow. Them apples sound pretty rude to me, especially since Vince was just kidding, and since you don't know his background. It might be nice to cut him a little bit of slack, until you get the picture filled in a little, huh? 8)

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Sounds like another Joe Lanza to me . . . and "sorry" gitjiggy, I won't ever be your buddy!

9. pygmalion

Eh. Vince. Normally I don't respond to such things, but I didn't know if you'd be back around to speak for yourself. So, in this case, I made an exception. I hope you don't mind my jumping to your defense. :wink:

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

No, thanks . . . I appreciated it! I was only joking . . . guess he hasn't read enough of my post to know that's what I do best!

I guess . . . as a mod . . . I should delete that last post of mine. What do you think? Or apologize . . . it was uncalled for . . . I'm bigger than that, but insipid people piss me off!

Oooooops, there I go again.

11. pygmalion

*giggle* Why do you think I'm not a mod anymore? I don't have to deal with qualms of conscience, on the rare occasion that someone gets on my nerves. I can just tell them off, and let the remaining mods deal with it. :roll: :lol: :lol:

That said, and all joking aside, whatever one thinks, there's no need to be nasty. It happens sometimes, though, especially with people who've "done" other forums in the past, but don't know DF yet. Maybe gitjiggy will realize that we're all friends here... most of the time. :wink: 8)

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yea . . . I'm about ready to join those ranks of the unemployed mods . . . we have plenty as it is - and that's not a "knock" on them! I don't think that they need this older dude's 2(ents anymore!

Yep . . . we don't need an "attitiude" around here . . . this is last place we need one!