Swing Discussion Boards > WCS Amazement

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, Jun 13, 2006.

1. chandra

chandra New Member

The depth of finesse of the lead follow reationship, and connection.

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

swing video on p.c.

posted this somewhere else, so, in case you missed it--- go to----http://www.swingdiego.com/results.html -- you can download final winner in the comp .For the english people, if in to jive, your impressions ?

3. Silveralsa

Silveralsa New Member

Well, I started with Lindy, and so what amazed me was the amount of TIME that I had to stylize to the music since it's slower. Also, that I could use the whole movement of my body to stylize, instead of just normally the lower half with Lindy. I love that I can fully let my body respond to WCS and I have the time to actually think/do it, lol...

4. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

First time I ever saw WCS was a local studio showcase headlined by Arjay Centeno and Melissa Rutz. I was bowled over by how smooth and slinky it was.
    Newbie here. I'm happy to have more time to think "Where do I place my foot next?" :cool:

5. Silveralsa

Silveralsa New Member

Time is very good :D

6. utahswestcoastswing

utahswestcoastswing New Member

Started with Lindy Hop, but now converted to WCS. What amazed me was being able to dance WCS to all different styles of music. I also enjoyed the depth of steps that can be applied.

7. Silveralsa

Silveralsa New Member

Yay, another crossover from Lindy to WCS! I still like both but focusing on WCS right now. Though my friends of Lindy like to say I "Crossed over to the dark side." I agree on the variety of music, for I like dancing more to the contemporary music.

8. utahswestcoastswing

utahswestcoastswing New Member

Yeah, I've gotten the "dark side" speech too. Not sure why it is so bad to do WCS since there are still Lindy components, just different music and styling. I still appreciate and respect what Lindy has done. I've been told I'm one of the more playful leads because of it.

9. Silveralsa

Silveralsa New Member

Me too! I think it's cause I get bored sometimes during basics, so I'll just start playing around with my footwork cause of my Lindy background. The guys think it's fascinating and start staring, and then I end up doing like 20 sugar pushes, etc... :D I get complimented on my playful/creative/musicality... Unfortunately, I have to work harder on my technique, sigh...

10. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Haven't done much WCS. I learned a couple steps, but found Lindy to be more fun. Still, I haven't given it a good try yet. If I get the time I might give it another look.

11. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Active Member

I also found that west coast swing came very naturally to me and felt very good in my body, although honestly I have felt that way with all of the dances I have tried. What amazed me initially was discovering that this style of dance existed. I thought swing was supposed to be bouncy because all I knew about was east coast, so I was amazed to find this world existed. I wonder why WCS doesn't seem very visible even to dancers from other genres. Or maybe that was just my experience...

Beyond just discovering there was such a dance as west coast swing, what I found amazing was how flexible and malleable the structure is, which allows for a great degree of freedom and creativity. I have noticed that musicality is emphasized in west coast swing more so than any other social dance. And, finally, it's incredible how many different styles of music you can dance west coast swing too. Many friends of mine who don't necessarily feel a connection to Latin culture and music (my first dance was salsa and social Latin) are very drawn to WCS when they see it because it is very smooth, almost pedestrian in quality, so they don't see it as inaccessible to them like the Latin hips can be, and they relate more to the music, especially when it is contemporary music like what they hear on the radio.

12. Silveralsa

Silveralsa New Member

Doesn't help that the horrific GAP commercial of "swing dancing" where they were flailing their arms, etc gave the impression of what "swing" was. I don't know how many newbies have tried to do aerials right away because of that. Regardless of the fact that aerials can be potentially DEADLY.... sigh

13. Terpsichorean Clod

Have there been any cases where aerials turned deadly? I suppose there are many worse ways to go than death by swing dancing. :)

14. kayak

kayak Active Member

The CW bar we dance at has a no feet off the floor rule. I don't think it is the couple doing the trick that gets hurts. Obviously, they know what they are playing with. I think it is the folks watching that then decide to give it a shot that get hurt. So they had to make a rule.

Also, our local USA Ballroom chapter has a similar rule. The difference between a good Lindy dancer doing aerials and the beginning college student is huge. So when a big group of college students come, they are pretty good about announcing a few dances when all rules are off.

Dancers at our studio dances play around with drops and lifts, but everyone seems pretty careful about not becoming human bowling balls.

15. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

What got me about WCS was that you could actually dance to the music. . . . . . . . .

I started from Ceroc/ECS and somebody spotted that I was trying to put anchors in and hit breaks, which is next to impossible in straight six beat.

The big turning point was when I asked 'why do we do triple steps, surely when you hit the anchor you can do anything on the two beats' the reply was, 'if you know to ask that question, you don't need to do the triples - you can start being creative with your footwork'

16. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

My amazement at WCS came from seeing it done well.

I had first seen it done years ago, once at an ECS dance and once at a bar. In both cases, the couples were doing just basics, and with no style, interpretation or good technique at all. Based on only seeing that, I thought WCS was the dullest dance ever! :rolleyes:

It wasn't until I saw Benji and Heidi on So You Think You Can Dance. I mean, wow, they opened my eyes to a whole new world. Granted, they performed flashy showcase routines, but after seeing them, I started checking out youtube videos of various other WCS pros, and I was blown away by all of them. Until then, I had no idea that it was such a cool and creative dance.

17. Silveralsa

Silveralsa New Member

Well, one of the pro's, Rusty Frank, broke her neck about 5 years ago and barely escaped paralization/death as an example...

18. Terpsichorean Clod

:shock: I'd like to nominate swing dancing for the next X Games.

19. Dave

Dave New Member

One death I know of, back in 1996.

http://www.utdallas.edu/~aria/dance/aerial_death.html

After about 10 years of doing aerials, I have to say, they really don't mix on the typical social floor. The problem is not just "do you know what you're doing?", but do the people around you?

20. Silveralsa

Silveralsa New Member

LOL, you know, the way some people dance "swing" with flailing limbs, it might be a good canidate ;)