Swing Discussion Boards > WCS Conventions

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

So which WCS conventions have you attended and what did you think of it/them?

Though I've only attended the social dance on the final evening I've done so at the past two 4th of July conventions in Phoenix. (Which next year will be held at a different location btw).

2. wcsjon

wcsjon New Member

US Open-Rocked. This year was my 2nd year going and I loved it! Plus I won the poker Tourney so that's even better!

Nashville Classic-Newer event, good dancing, kinda local for us, so it's a good deal.

Grand Nationals (Atlanta)-Great event, I've been SEVERAL years and it's always a blast.

Several others when I was on Swing Shift Atlanta, Chicago, New York, Dallas, etc. The only thing was with the team we had everything planned out around practice, so we didn't have as much time to enjoy the event.

3. Heresy

Heresy New Member

Many of my dance friends who live in Tucson have already gone up to Palm Springs for the New Year's convention (http://www.peoplewhodance.net/newyears/swing/index.php). They also have a Palm Springs event in the summer. From what I have, it is very fun and doesn't take itself nearly as serious as SwingDiego or the Dallas convention. I could go this year; so, I will be hanging out with some of the dancers who stayed in town.

SwingDiego is more professional but still fun. The floor was huge (bigger than Phx, I think), and the social/open Bacardi bar on Friday was a great way to meet people. My only problem was that I know San Diego well, and hate the location because it is right next to the largest mall in San Diego county. It was my first convention, but outside of my roomates, I enjoyed it.

All the other conventions, I can't comment on from first hand knowledge. I hear some of the champions try out their US Open routines in Dallas. San Francisco's Boogie by the Bay seems like a really fun convention that is full of lindyhoppers (I had to go to an AES convention the same weekend but met a lindyhopper who worked at Dolby which was cool). I only got to attend the last night of Phoenix's 4th of July convention because of dancer drama that affected some room arrangements, but it felt like a decent event. I can't wait to see where it is being held next year, even though I might be out of town that month.

4. Spitfire

It's going to be held at the Biltmore on Camelback Rd.

5. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

6. GTO Bruin

GTO Bruin Member

My girlfriend and I will be there Sat-Sun. We're not true westies yet. We've been learning DC Hand Dance, but we're transitioning. We'll be taking a lot of the WCS workshops.

Won't need the bus since we live in the DC metro area, but we will be at the Sheraton. I can't wait! :car:

7. chandra

chandra New Member

WCS conventions Ive been to:
    GrandPrix of swing(2xs)
    Madmac(2xs)
    Summer Hummer
    Dallas Dance
    Swing Challenge(2xs)
    Swing City Chicago
    Nasheville Classic
    Cash Bash
    Spotlight Dance Challenge
    Swing Diego (2xs)
    Capital
    MadJam
    Oshkosh
    Reno
    Liberty swing

Favorite Local Event:
    Spotlight Dance Challenge (NYE event)
    2nd: Oshkosh (now SDA)

Favorite National Event:
    SwingDiego
    2nd: tie between Dallas and Capital

Other events that stood out: Liberty Swing, the hotel it was in last year was just one of the most amazing experiences of my LIFE! SO beautiful.

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

my colleague will be there competing... can't wait to hear how it goes -- sounds like a fun weekend!

9. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I'll be at MADJam, competing and social dancing. I live in DC, about 10 miles from the hotel but I am still staying there at least for one night because I plan to dance very late:)

I went to Swing Diego last month - sooo fun. I've also been to Liberty in NYC and a few local DC comps. My husband went to Summer Hummer in Boston and loved it!

10. chandra

chandra New Member

You were at Diego? Did I see you there? I am the young heavier girl with ridiculously bright red hair on top, and blonde on bottom. I competed in novice JnJ, and made semis, messed them up royally, and didnt make finals. What division did you compete in? Did you make finals?

11. Plainswalker

Plainswalker New Member

I've only been to two, Seattle Easter Swing last year and the BC Dance Challenge this year.

Seattle Easter Swing - my first convention. It rocked, although for some reason my body failed me and I crashed hard at 12:30am. I missed a lot of social dancing :(. This is the convention that opened up my mind and showed me what WCS is REALLY like.

BC Dance Challenge - this one is local so I *had* to go. Fewer pros for sure, but it was the first time (I think) that I saw Robert and Nicola Royston perform. Awesome show. I also knew a boatload of people, and that made it quite fun.

I'm going to Easter Swing again in 5 (4?) weeks. After that, I'm not so sure, but I'd love to go to Bridgetown Swing in Portland. I'm definitely going to Sea To Sky (another local Vancouver event) in October.

I've never been to the eastern seaboard, so I might fly to an event there and then do the tourist thing for a week afterward.

12. grayfair

grayfair New Member

We get a lot of requests for WCS events...

We get a lot of requests for WCS events from our site visitors.

If you know people that host these seminars, events, and lessons, make sure you tell them to visit our site and post their information. It's free and it makes a difference for us and the events as we get a ton of visitors a day looking for stuff to do.

13. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

I just got back from Boston Tea Party. Well, that's not entirely true - I got back on Sunday night, but I am still recovering. That event was so much fun!

Who else went?

14. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

I did. It was great. I was there Friday and Saturday, for the workshops. I had to miss out on the competitions because I had to finish some work. But I've been a few times in the past for the whole thing. Yeah, I love this event.

15. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Ehhh!!! You guys should have told me - this is in my back yard! Next year!

16. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

The only WCS convention I've been to is Dallas Dance. It was a lot of fun but, as much as I like WCS, I was pretty much all swung out by the end of the weekend. I've never felt that way after a ballroom or country comp...I always leave wanting more.

Oh, and I went to the U.S. Open in Sacramento about six years ago...it was absolutely awesome.

17. Plainswalker

Plainswalker New Member

Anyone else going to Seattle Easter Swing?

18. Lynn P

Lynn P New Member

Was at the first UK convention and comp last weekend. Workshops (with guest US teachers), comps and social dancing. Fab!

19. Spitfire

Has the popularity of WCS increased in GB? The last I heard there wasn't much of a following there.

20. Spitfire

Too bad it won't be held in August when I make my next visit to that area.