Swing Discussion Boards > WCS Conventions

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, Dec 28, 2006.

1. chandra

chandra New Member

Who all is going to pheonix??

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I'm planning on it, only a three hour drive.

3. Lynn P

Lynn P New Member

Its starting to grow - there is now enough people to have an event like that, with Jack & Jill, Novice and Open categories in the competition (although the Novice was won by a couple who came over from France!). The event was well supported and date and venue already set for next year. :D

4. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Hi all. I haven't been posting in a while. Just been very busy at work. It's nice to see some WCS posts here. Last time I posted here it was pretty quiet. :)

Anyway ,as for dance conventions, we live in Phoenix now so we'll be at the Phoenix July 4th dance. Even though we live here, we decided to stay at the Biltmore for the convention because it's supposed to be a really nice hotel and we decided to treat ourselves. We looking forward to a really nice convention.

We are also going to Fresno dance convention this Memorial Weekend. It's a country and WCS event and it's usually a blast. We haven't been there in a few years since we moved, so it will be nice to go again.
    We have been to the Palm Springs for the New Year's dance for the last 2 years now. It's usually a lot of fun. We plan on going every year since we can drive there now.
    There are a few local dance conventions that are held here in Phoenix that we will probably attend.
    When we lived in Calif. we attended Boogie by the Bay in Oct., South Bay in Sept., Mountain Magic in Nov., Monterey dance convention in Jan., Sacramento dance convention in Sept. and Fresno in May. Oh and I forgot Reno dance convention in March. Yes, we used to dance a lot. We sort of miss that because we could drive to all of these. Now we have to fly if we want to attend of these dance conventions.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hey Stranger . . . how are you? . . . and Wayne???

We'll see you in Fresno in a few weeks . . .

6. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Hi Vince, we're doing good and how about yourself? Wayne's having a few problems with his knees so we don't dance as much. He really misses going to the Fresno convention, so we decided to go this year. We'll see how it goes. He said he'd try to pace himself, but I think those are famous last words! LOL!

7. Spitfire

Well welcome back, I haven't seen either of you at the dances when I've come down since last August or September.

Have you gone to those Wednesday and Friday functions at JOHN Q's on Shea Blvd.? I want to check that out sometime.

8. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Hi Spitfire, yes it's true that I haven't been to the VFW Sunday dance in a long time. Wayne usually goes but he does miss a Sunday or two. We try to go to the Paragon on Sat. nights and we've been doing Hustle on Tuesdays at the Paragon. We have gone the John Q's on Wednesdays and it's a lot of fun. I haven't been there in a few weeks due to my workout schedule, but I'm going to try going again. You should check it out some time.

9. Spitfire

I went to the VFW a few months ago, the only time in the last year. Not so easy since I have to work on Mondays. I do go to the Paragon on Saturdays quite often. I saw that the floor had been expanded when I was there in March.

I'm coming down again at the end of next week at least for Saturday to attend the USABDA dance at the Indian School Rd. Arthur Murray's, but might come on Friday when I get off work and if I do I'll check out John Q's. I guess it's pretty good there?

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

We're doing fine . . . Care's knee is back, but about 90%, so she'll competitng in Fresno.

I have four bands these days, so my dancing is almost non-existant, except when Care and I dance on our dancefloor.

Wayne is a great dancer, and a smart guy . . . he'll know when to quit . . . won't he?

Hey, you and Spitfire go to Paragon . . . are you seeing Robert around there?
    How about what's her namen . . . er, uh, Kim???

11. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Sorry Spitfire, John Q's doesn't seem to be doing Friday WCS anymore. They tried to change the venue to country/WCS and they lost so many dancers that I think Fridays aren't happening anymore. Wednesdays are still good though.

12. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Well that's good new about her knee. It will be good to see you and Carolyn again. I'm sure your WCS dancing is still great. You'll polish it up at Fresno.

We see Robert all the time at the Paragon. I try to get a dance with him if I can, but he is so popular that I can't always get that dance. I don't know if you heard, but Robert has taken over the Paragon so Kim isn't around the Paragon anymore.

13. Spitfire

I see, thanks. But yes, I did understand there to be some problem with the change to C&W.

14. Spitfire

So she is out of there. Haven't seen her since about the same time I last saw you and Wayne. I wonder if she may have moved back to California.

15. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Just bought plane tickets to Phoenix - my first time!:)

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yea, some of it is still there . . . in the grocery store last week . . . a Waltz came on, and we did a Waltz all the way down the aisle . . . people watching, so if I can remember how to do a Waltz, I "think" I can still WCS ...

Outstanding news . . . can you see me jumping for joy? He deserves this. Paybacks are so darn great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is he still dancing with Devorah???

17. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Hi Vince, I'm not sure, I haven't been in the "loop" so we're not all up on what's happening there. We make it some Saturdays to the Paragon, but because of Wayne's knees, we miss more than we make lately.

How cute that you danced Waltz in the grocery store!

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yea, I hear Robert and Devorah (SP??) are getting standing ovations at competitions . . .

Hope to see him (them) in Fresno . . .

Care thought it was cute too . . . I was slightly red-faced!:oops:

19. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Did people clap for you?

Wayne and I danced WCS once while we were in one of the open lounges in Las Vegas (I think it was Paris) and people clapped for us. It was fun, but we were wearing tennis shoes and couldn't move as well, but no one noticed. :)

20. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yea, well, kinda sorta . . . one woman remarked that we should be on "that dance show on tv . . ." She said that she'd vote for us . . .

That's cool . . . you both are very good dancers . . . no wonder they clapped for ya' . . .