Swing Discussion Boards > WCS Dancer Headcount

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

. . . "from" there, but haven't been back since Frankie Manning was a teenager!!!!!!!!!!!

2. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

29. Only taken a few lessons, would like to get back to WCS, but is not a priority even if it is highly enjoyable

3. Neil

Neil Member

WCS is my favorite dance. Unfortunately, there are very few westies here in Miami. There are probably only a couple dozen dancers here. There is a group up in Ft. Lauderdale, but that's more than 40 minutes driving every time. Miami seems to have a few hundred disco dancers, maybe a thousand Argentine Tango dancers, and literally about a million Salsa dancers. I try to make it to Ft. Lauderdale at least once every couple months.

4. Heresy

Heresy New Member

I have been dancing WCS for 1.5 years now. I had about a year of lindy beforehand that helped me pick up the dance quickly, but didn't understand the partner-connection thing until I took up WCS. The dance is great, but it is hard to find many people under age 40 who dance it here (not that I have a problem dancing with 40yos).

5. fireinflight

fireinflight New Member

I've danced it for about a year on and off, and **love** it, but I rarely get a chance to dance it. :(

6. classicalwolfy

classicalwolfy New Member

just started dancing wcs this year, but i love it. ^^ crazy fun.

7. pr

pr New Member

I would like to learn, but no one is teaching it here... :( I guess I have to start the new trend myself when I get more time... :roll:

8. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

35 It's one of the many dances I want to know better ...

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

35 and still climbing . . .

10. tj

tj New Member

36 - haven't danced WCS since the late 90's, but did take lessons for about a year to a year and a half.

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hiya tj,

You need to get back into it, as it has changed dramatically. What I learned last year is not being done this year . . .

12. b19wh33l5

b19wh33l5 New Member

37. Have been dancing WCS for a while now and have entered a WCS jack-and-jill compeitition. I hope to enter more comps in the near future.

13. chandra

chandra New Member

Oh, I know!!! Ive only been around the competitive scene for a little more than 1 year, and even I notice dramatic changes since my first events!

-Amy

14. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

For real! What ever happend to Ochos? ;)

There have been and are going to be some interesting changes coming up in WCS. Festa's article on the Essence of WCS has got the ball rolling, but I know there were tons of discussions about what should be looked for in the different divisions (i.e. nothing but basics in novice) and how the judges were getting annoyed by showy people winning rather than people who had good connection and partnership. As well as a lack of swing content.

Festa has gotten a lot of feedback through the magazine, been quoted in newsletters, and sparked a fight on RAD. People are really starting to think about what it means to be dancing WCS.

The moves of the moment will constantly be changing, but I bet there's going to be some interesting movements and discussions in the next year or two about this dance.

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I agree, and I still believe that the judges are all looking for/at the same things, and not, per say, showy stuff . . . not until you get way up.

Yep, you better know your basics, know how many vanillas you have to have before you can get some syncopations in, watch your frame, and so on . . . I'm definitely with you!

Yeppers . . . I like doing all those "cool" moves too, but I also like to WCS, I mean really WCS, adn to me . . . there is a difference!

16. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

heh. heh heh. heh. BWAH HAH HAH HAH....

Ça plus change....

17. tj

tj New Member

Well, I'll never say never...

18. wcsjon

wcsjon New Member

38, I think?

I compete Showcase.

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hey wcsjon . . . what venue do you dance in and who do you dance with?

20. wcsjon

wcsjon New Member

NASDE and World Swing, this was our first year and we only did 3 event, one of which was the US Open. My partner is Emily Calhoun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are a few pictures from the open. Click them, they'll get bigger.