Swing Discussion Boards > WCS - footwork for side pass

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by sync, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

Heh - I'm so glad I included the side note.

Hmm, my money is on a different horse. My best guess is that sync has been introduced to a mirrored side pass (right to right or two handed hold, follower rotating right/facing the leader who has stepped off the track to his left -- the mirror image of a left side pass, but with unmirrored footwork).

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Mmmm . . . ok . . .

3. sync

sync New Member

It's not possible to mirror the footwork, is it?

4. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

It's possible to mirror the footwork. It's a great drill for an advanced dancer looking to improve their physical understanding of the relationship between center, connection, and support.

Done well, it is close to undetectable - it feels exactly the same to your partner, and the movement is unremarkable enough to escape notice.

It's not easy.

5. sync

sync New Member

I just got back from my lesson tonight. It turns out that I did learn an underarm pass last week. :shock:

6. heartgrl2k

heartgrl2k New Member

Hey, rock on. :lol: Does it look like the video when you watch it now?

7. sync

sync New Member

The footwork is a little different but the rest is the same.

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'm thrilled to read that you hung in there . . . YOU are on your way!!!!!!!!!

9. sync

sync New Member

I suspect I'm going to get a lot of practice at hanging in there. I live in a rural town of 9,000. There aren't any dance instructors in town. A couple of enthusiasts occasionaly offer an introductory set of 4 lessons. When there is enough interest they bring in an instructor, from a city 5 hours away, to give intermediate lessons.

In two weeks my lessons will be over and there won't be any more for a while. I won't be ready to actually dance and I don't have anyone to practice with.

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You're ready to dance, you keep telling yourself your not, so you don't.

The more you dance, or even attempt to dance, the further along you'll be.

How about picking up the phone, or doing some e-mailing and get something going . . . another set of lessons, etc. . . . going???

You organize it!!!

Find another teacher . . .

Set up something with the other in the class . . . watch tapes . . . figure things out . . . and just dance. Do just the footwork and a L & R side pass if that's all you know.

Practice that basic footwork until you can do it smoothly. Hold on to a refrigerator handle . . . it gives a good connection . . . just don't try that right-side pass with it :wink:

11. heartgrl2k

heartgrl2k New Member

where do you live sync? there might be a DF member close to you that you can practice with or who knows where there might be other good places to dance close to you.

12. sync

sync New Member

I'm in Fairfield, Iowa.

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Iowa . . . . m m m m m, is that in Southern California??? J/K . . .

There is always someone around . . . you have to do some hunting via the 'Net or phone . . .

You are mainly interested in WCS???

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

15. sync

sync New Member

I'm interested in a variety of styles. WCS just happened to be the only thing offered when I decided to take dance lessons. I plan on taking lessons in whatever comes up.

16. sync

sync New Member

Thanks Vince! I already pretty much know that there isn't much available close by. The closest would be Iowa City, which has U of Iowa, and that's a two and a half hour round trip.

I will check out the links though. :D

17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Remember . . . that there are teachers at the college . . . and they are probably interested in making a few extra bucks once a month or every other month.

Why not go there for a lesson . . . talk to some instructors (get phone numbers e-address, etc.) . . . and then get some people togehter in Fairfield who also want some lessons . . . much cheaper if several of you cheap in for the expenses.

We do this a lot . . . fortunately, we have Pros right here in town, and a lot of other teachers (some shouldn't be teaching) who do go to other areas to teach, as well as, teach us!

Start something . . . you can do it!

18. sync

sync New Member

There are a large group of people in my town, including myself, who are from out of state and are accustomed to big city life. As a result, there is a lot going on here considering that it's a small midwest town.

If the local enthusiasts are bringing in an instructor from 5 hours away it's probably because they couldn't find a good instructor that is closer.

I still need to contact the other dance groups here (ECS, ballroom, Latin, tango, contra, English country).

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

20. sync

sync New Member

Thanks Vince. I'll contact them.