Swing Discussion Boards > WCS in Nashville, TN

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by fashionlady, Apr 9, 2004.

1. fashionlady

fashionlady New Member

Hi, I moved last year causing me to have to quit my WCS dance lessons because of the distance. So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good WCS studio/club in Nashville or aroundabout? Any info would be greatly appreciated since I miss dancing! Thanks!

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the Forums fashionlady! :D

I'm in San Deigo myself so can't really help you out but, hopefully, one of the other DF members will be able to steer you in the right direction.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Welcome fashionlady! :D

Ok, here's a link with some info for Nashville.

I've been learning WCS myself; great dance. 8)

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

SD, I'm going to take my San Diego trip sometime next month; a little earlier then expected. 8)

5. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

hi fashionlady,i dont know where to dance in nashville but last week at the international hustle and salsa convention in miami they had a w/ swing room and 2 of the girls were from nashville both were good at w/c but the one girl wassssssssssss excelent , as good as the hot shots in ny-nj- dc -phila area,i was sooooooooo impressed,she had great fluid movement.anyway its there(in nashville) happy hunting 8)

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Apparently, that same club does WCS on Thursdays.

Here's another option. http://www.danceworldtn.com/

Have fun! And welcome, fashionlady. :D

7. fashionlady

fashionlady New Member

I thank everyone for the nice welcome and quick responses! And a special thanks to Pygmalion and Spitfire for the links. I will probably go to one of the clubs next week. I have taken ballroom dancing classes but WCS is by far my fave dance. How many of ya'll know WCS? Just curious.

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I'm still a newbie to WCS myself... I knew some of the basics before, but only from a purely "pattern" standpoint before. I'd say that I hadn't really been seriosu about wanting to learn it up until about a month and a half ago or so...

9. twodance

twodance New Member

We just came back from a dance camp in Nashville. They are having a West Coast Swing dance camp there in a month or so. I'll try to find the flyer for the info. and post it for you.

10. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Hey fashionlady! Welcome to the Forums!

Send me a private message, and I'll give you my email address and then send you the whole scoop on the Nashville dance scene. Would love to go out dancing sometime if you're up for it--and I can introduce you to some really nice people and fun dancers while we do it.

Hey twodance--were you at the Dance Camp in March? It was organized by the studio I dance at! I heard it was a blast--but I had to miss the whole thing because I was doing Chekhov! :x

Cheers,

Genesius

11. twodance

twodance New Member

Yeh we where there. Great camp !! Our students loved it and want to go back next year. David Hamilton, Sam Sodano. Glenis Dee, Eddie Ares and Buddy Schwimmer ( boy can he move ) all great classes. Of course David Mederios was a wonderful host.

12. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Yeah--I so wish I could have even made it to the parties! Another time, I guess! :)

13. twodance

twodance New Member

We didn't make it to the parties either. We spent the night in the hot tub soaking our feet !! :lol:

14. virginiadancegirl

virginiadancegirl New Member

I love WCS...but still consider myself low on the intermediate totem pole (if that makes sense). My partner and I are, however, doing a WCS exhibition at a mall this coming weekend.....

Wish me luck!!!

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

We've been to the last two UCWDC World's Dance 6-day events in Nashville that are held over the New Year's holidays . . . we went downtown several times . . . don't remember any of the places . . . but we always found places to WCS . . .

16. fashionlady

fashionlady New Member

I consider myself to be in the middle of the intermediate level...is there anyway to really tell how good(or bad! :oops: ) you are??? Since I have only had one WCS teacher, I have no idea how I would hold up in a different studio with a different teacher.
    Vince, what are these events you are talking about that you went to over New Year's? Sounds like fun.

17. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

UCWDC Worlds

UCWDC is the United Country Western Dance Council. Each year in January they hold the World Championships of Country Western Dance. Lots of competition, lots of workshops, lots of social dance.

For more information do a search for UCWDC Worlds on yahoo or another search engine.

I am hoping to be there next year. It will be my first one.

Ann

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yep, the acronym is correct, and just because it has Country and Western in the title, don't be mislead that there is no WCS, ECS, Jive, NC2S, Hustle, Cha Cha, etc. It has all the dances . . . just not ballroom!

Many of the UCWDC events have the World Swing Dance Council attached to it, and that organization is strictly "swing."

The World Championships that are held in Nashville, and it is 6 (maybe 7) days long, over the New Year's holidays. Except this coming year's event, for some reason, it starts January 7th. It is held in the Opryland Hotel - the new one - not the one downtown. There are about 8,000 in attendance, with competitors from just about every State and every country.

It begins just like the Olympics . . . alphabetically by State, with flags and banners, the competitors from that state all file in, waving and dancing, and then they enter alphabetically, country by country. There are so many competitors, that this may take hours to get through!

I believe it is in Nashville for a few more years, then it switches to LA for a few years, then to Europe for one year.

You ought to plan on attending and getting qualified to compete . . . it's nightmare, but it's a blast!

Check out the UCWDC website for more info . . .

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That sounds like so much fun! 8)

20. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You should try it Jenn . . . there's swing and country dancing . . . lot's of parties, but lot's of rehearsals, stress if you compete!

I'm not prejudiced ... I'd dance with you even though you are a "ballroomer!!!" :wink: If...you'd let me :?: