Swing Discussion Boards > WCS Wrist twisting!

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Phil, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

Many moons ago, a follower of my acquaintance hurt her wrist badly enough to require a brace. Six months later, she was still wearing it when dancing, because the leads were so much gentler when she was wearing it.

2. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

There are ways around rough leads, at least in WCS, that advanced followers routinesly employ when following said leaders. Just let your arm go totally slack, aka "spaghetti arms", so that the man cannot properly connect to you and will thus be unable to pull your arm out of its socket:) Because WCS is so social and it behooves you not to reject leads over and over, that's one good way to still get in dances with them and not get hurt in the process. I do this with a couple of local guys...;)

3. Me

Me New Member

I maintain that whoever invented this style of leading deserves the firing squad! :tongue:

4. kayak

kayak Active Member

Although it is not really different from Salsa. We would learn to dance keeping our arms nice and still. Then, we get out in the real world and most Salsa dancers carry the rhythm in their arm movements.

5. plugger

plugger Member

Not sure this is what you're asking about, but a gentle quarter rotation (never a harsh twist) of the follower's hand at the start of the anchor is asking her to turn her body to face side slot instead of facing the leader. Often he will do the same. Gotta smile at those judges.

6. mop6686

mop6686 Member

I prefer to describe it as "turning over the hand". I lead will have his hand palm up. When he wants the lady to turn out or away to her left he just rolls his hand right and turns it over. This is used to lead a switchback.

7. Br0nze

Br0nze Active Member

In my experience from International Latin, the rotation of the man's wrist is the call to the partner to over-rotate (as per certain step/s). It is supposed to create drama and differentiate in speeds -- body, foot -- as well as have a visual effect of contrast and impact.

In regards to WCS, in which I am a novice, I believe that the twisting of the wrist may have begun for a similar purpose and eventually found its way as a habitual action for the dancers. At the same time, if the connection is solid between the partners, then any change in the hand/wrist position must be for a leading purpose, and so I can only infer that it is a specific lead for a specific action.

When I learned WCS, I was told not to twist the wrist lest I want the follower to over-turn her anchor step or something of that nature, hence my understanding of the motion. I continue to obey it and try very very hard not to twist my wrist while dancing unless I want the follower I am dancing with to perform an over-turned anchor step (resulting in what plugger talks about a post above me).

8. MrPlow

MrPlow New Member

If I'm thinking of the same move, I led this with my hand crossing her center and descending before turning the wrist. Those who knew the move and lead lowered their hand and turned their wrist with me, almost back leading it. Those who didn't looked like deer in the headlights and I'd abort the move before the wrist rotation. Not a move for beginners or poor leaders.

9. mop6686

mop6686 Member

Agreed. Or poor followers. One of the follower's jobs is to know exactly how to respond when she feels a lead of any kind. It is not enough to say "if I have a good leader then I can follow".

It could also be an issue of frame. I find that many of my W/C students (lead and follow) will struggle with this move if they have no frame, which is common in W/C because a frame isn't required, or at least focused on, at the beginning. If the follow doesn't keep a a good connection and frame with her right arm then the wrist turn will feel like a surprise or uncomfortable. Same for the leader - It will feel uncomfortable and like you surprised her.