Swing Discussion Boards > WCSrs - Is Your Lead/Connection Light or Heavy?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I've been told that I have an extremely "light" lead, and that sometimes it is very hard to feel the connection with me.

In the past, I heard so many followers say . . ."wow, so and so has such an extremely light lead . . . it was wonderful."

So, I started searching for exercises to remedy this.

The one that I did was to practice my lead connection with a nickel between my index finger and second finger . . . trying not to let the nickel fall out!

Although it may be light, I find that followers really respond well to this, as it lets them concentrate more on my center, which is where my lead comes from in the first place.

Thoughts???

2. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

That's interesting... of course it's a balance... what isn't?

I aim to strike a happy medium but I think I tend to err a bit on the heavy side while trying to not anticipate the lead, waiting to be moved. I find that when I work on that I am less likely to move on the first inclination and so when I do move... BAMM... I'm heavy! :? I least it seems this way... I do not know how I compare to other follows and where I fall in the heavy/light continueum.

I also find that it also depends on who I'm dancing with. Chances are if he's leading heavy I'll follow suit likewise if he seems to have a light lead I am much more responsive to the subtle things.

eh, I try to follow what I'm given for the most part.

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Now see . . I find that very interesting. So, if the lead is a "very much an arm lead," you'll add more arm to it??? I'm not saying that is right or wrong for you to do . . . just curious!

I think I would do the opposite . . . I would lighten up even more in hopes that the follow would do the same same to try to feel more of my lead. Maybe, sorta?

Try it sometime and let me know???

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I attempt to keep my connection firm, but as light as I possibly can.

And as far as matching the heavy lead, I would try the opposite, too, and see if you can get him to lighten up. This does often work, if you can consciously make yourself lighten up, even when you feel him getting heavy. He'll feel the mismatch and unconsciously try to match you. At least, that's what I've experienced.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Couldn't have said any better if I had tried to!

At least it works on followers . . . 99% of the time!

6. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

sounds good

7. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I think it depends on what kind of music you use, I don't want to be yanked around (strong lead hehe) if we are dancing to a smooth and sultry song because it gets in the way of me moving smoothly. I also can't deny that if a man has too light of a lead I can't follow too well.. :?

8. d nice

d nice New Member

The lead is intended to transfer momentum from the leaders center, through his arm, through the follower's arm, into her center.

Too light a lead does not create the weight transfer needed for the follower to be given a clear lead. As long as the leader uses his frame correctly it is difficult to be "too heavy". Now he can be "too restrictive" where the lead gives no space for the follower to use the momentum that the leader has given her. Think Wiley E. Coyote with a rocket strapped on his back.

By using enough momentum to move the follower and then allowing the lead to naturally transition to a more neutral "setting" he allows the follower to develop the momentum, shape it and use it, and at the same time always aware of where the leader is sending her and when he expects her to arrive.