General Dance Discussion > Wedding first dance to "Thousand Years" by Christina perri?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Sagitta, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Any suggestions as to best dance style for this? What different dance styles can be done to this? The youtube song is attached

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

It is a viennese waltz. 6/8 time.

For non-dancers that pick this song I suggest a "rumba" box step.... canter, hesitate, canter, hesitate.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Lioness and Sagitta like this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Yep have danced vw to it in comps

Sagitta likes this.
  4. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

AUS/NZ do a Swing Waltz to it see 6:28. The dance is quite simple, I taught it to a couple of non dancing friends for their wedding. It is also really good as it works on a narrow floor, and is also easy to cut off the last part if the space is small.

Sagitta likes this.
  5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

That swing waltz is interesting! There are so many types of waltz. I often will do waltz movement but not an actual known dance style in social settings and it goes over fine. But this is my cousin's wedding and the dance with her beloved so want to explore and see what are all the options are. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  6. SwingingAlong

Here is another clip of the same dance, showing less ornate expression, and clear footwork, in case they like the idea and you need more info. The script is also available online, if you search "Swing Waltz dance script".

Sagitta and Larinda McRaven like this.
  7. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I teach a lot of wedding couples, and several have used this song. None had danced before. We did a lot of balance steps (step on one, hold two three), combined with a few boxes. The balance steps help slow it down so they're not scurrying through the whole thing.

The video above is lovely, but I think it's a bit much for a wedding, especially (I'm assuming) non-dancers. Although, it does depend on the couple. Maybe they have time to practice and want to be that showy.

8. SwingingAlong

This. In my friends' case, the music was not negotiable (a favorite of their grandparents I think), however they were prepared to practice at home, so armed with a lesson and the video each week they learnt one new section (cut off the last rotary part due to space issues). They had it sorted within 3 hours of lessons, the individual sections being short enough to practice in their lounge!! I agree though, that it could be a bit much, there is the huge range between non-dancers and non-dancers:)

RiseNFall likes this.