Salsa > Weight Shift during Basic

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by danceguy, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Josh

Josh Active Member

*Keep in mind this is only what I do, and is not necessarily accurate!*

1) The body may not go entirely over the foot, but to really shift weight, the body has to move over the foot (else, there is no weight to shift!). It is much easier to do this when you take small steps, so you're not traveling very far, because your steps are short. If the lady is turning on 5, the man MUST actually step back some or the lady will run into him when she steps forward to turn! (and vice versa for a man turning on 1).

2) The heel touches the floor. The toe comes down first, then the heel. When the heel comes down, the leg will straighten, and the hip will settle.

3) I think boriken is referring to breaking each count down in half (1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and -- like going from 4th notes to 8th notes, or from 4th to 16th would be: 1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a ... etc). So the AND is the 2nd half of the 4th count (logically, every slice of time in music or anything can be split in half infinitely right?). I'm not sure if he's talking about dancing on 1 or on 2. Some other posts have indicated that others step on the 4, or combine the step to make it on the 3/4 so it "oozes", but I'm not sure exactly. I step on 3, HOLD on 4 (shift weight, but no step), so I'd need some clarification about what he means when stepping on the first half of 4 and then shifting on the second half.

2. Medira

Medira New Member

I believe that Boriken is dancing On1 and the weight shift on the "and" comes after the 4 count. The weight needs to be shifted on the "and" so you can step forward on the 5. (or backward if you're following)

3. Josh

Josh Active Member

I see--so, the weight shift comes at the latter half of the 4 count, and immediately precedes the weight shift that happens on 5.

So, for me, weight shifts happen on:

1 (left hip settles, left leg straightens)
    2 (right hip settles, right leg straightens)
    4 (left hip settles, left leg straightens)
    5 (right hip settles, right leg straightens)
    6 (left hip settles, left leg straightens)
    8 (right hip settles, right leg straightens)

(the left foot moves back to close on 3, the right foot moves back to close on 7, but no weight shift happens)

yeah?

4. Medira

Medira New Member

Not quite. I'm seeing it as the weight shift on the latter half of the 4 happens in place of the weight shift happening on 5. If the weight shift is already in progress, then the foot is ready to be placed when the 5 hits. (I hope I'm making sense... :?)

I believe that sounds about right...it took me a few minutes (and a bit of testing it out in the bathroom at the office) to translate the words into movement. :p

5. tacad

tacad New Member

Medira, does your upper body move forward and backward during the basic or is it mainly in the same place? Do you put your heel down when going backward? Thanks. :)

6. Medira

Medira New Member

My upper body remains in the same place - aligned over top of my hips - while I dance. It allows me to keep my balance centered and my core strong so that I can respond to the leads I'm given. When I step backward, I do put my heel down. It's more rolling through the foot, actually. I step back on the ball of the foot and push down into the floor until my foot is flat (or as flat as it can be if I'm in heels)...combined with the bending and flexing of the knee, that gives me the cuban motion. :)

7. revolution

revolution New Member

I guess it is then safe to assume that the weight change is always shifted onto the bend leg?

8. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Need! Thank you!

9. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Who knew something called a BASIC could be so complicated!
    Oh and I like you :ladiesma: