Dancers Anonymous > Weight

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by _malakawa_, Aug 21, 2008.

1. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

ok, now.

i am 5'4 feet tall and i have 121 Ibs.

Am i fat, athletic................... what?? :confused:

i was never skinny, i always had meat on my bones.

Sometimes people are asking me if i am a soccer player :oops: because of the legs.

I am very confident and i feel god in my skin. :cool:

just give me an example what is fat, athletic, normal, thin, skinny .......

I think it's most important to feel good in your skin and be healthy.

Attached Files:

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Remember, muscle is denser than fat. A very fit person of a given height and build will actually weight more than a sendetary person of the same height and build. When it comes to athletic people, body mass index tells a very misleading story.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you have an average build, malakawa... you are hardly fat, and you don't even have a heavy frame for your height.

you are probably of a body type that is naturally more muscular, and that is what people are seeing (as opposed to the delicate type of frame that never seems to develop muscle definition...).

and don't forget... you're a biker chic. that make you seem tougher than you might actually be.:cool::cool::tongue:

4. Laura

Laura New Member

I'd say you're perfect!

And I'd say you're "athletic," but I don't want anyone to think that I'm trying to say you're big, because you're not.

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Well, hell. If you're entertaining the idea that 121 lbs on 5'4" is fat, then I'm downright obese...and I don't like entertaining that thought.

I'd say you're pretty freakin' thin.

It also looks like you're built sorta similar to me (except thinner and in shape). It looks like you've got a medium/average sized frame, so no matter what you're not going to have that super-slender look. Even when I was your size and smaller (I'm the same height as you, btw.), I still looked athletic, never willowy (*sigh*). It's just the way we're built.

If you're comfortable with your body and healthy, that's the most important thing.

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

You're definitely not fat malakawa. Look good to me. :raisebro:

7. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

You didn't say what you body fat % is?

from a conversational point of view, assuming that you are being viewed critically by a very vain man :D, ...

• you are NOT skinny.
    • you are NOT thin.
    • you ARE normal.
    • you ARE HWP (height-weight proportionate)
    • you are NOT fat.
    • you have a healthy BMI of close to 21, which is on the healthy/lower side of the spectrum.
    • You can be described reasonably as curvy.
      • in modern parlance, 'curvy' is often a politically correct/sensitive code for 'fat'. I'm using this word literally and NOT as this 'code' - from what I can see, you fit the description of being curvaceous with a very proportionate body.
    • You can also be described as somewhat muscular and/or athletic.
      • there is often a pejorative connotation with 'muscular' as applied to women - where the real intention is to say 'androgynous' or 'masculine'. which, sadly, puts all women who have well defined muscles at a huge cultural disadvantage. I personally don't see any reason to think why the 'muscular' or 'athletic' adjectives, in your case, should be confused with any hint of 'masculine' etc.
    Umm... leaving aside all those clinical description, you are effing HOT!

8. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

far from that. ;)

thanks for the opinion.

i just want to know what is today with those people and with size 0, double 0 .....

that is not healthy.

i have body fat. i don't have flat belly, but when i see those models and girls who want to be like them it just makes me sick.

they are so thin that i think they are going to break. :(

9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yeah, here's a clinical description: "gorgeous". :cool:

10. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

it is just horrible that the perception of beauty now is women who are not healthy but skinny. I mean back in the day ... look at art ... women were beautiful and they had meat on them. I like me for me. I want to be healthy but not a rail. I am a proud mom and don't want to look like a teenager. But the media I believe has perpetuated what the "ideal" woman or look is. What is scary is all the women and girls buying into this nonsense. (I have 2 teenage daughters that I see how this is effecting them now and have always tried to never say I am fat in front of and show them confidence and beauty even being bigger, as I am of the volupteous kind) Show real women, and how to maintaine a active healthy life style and still be able to enjoy some of the pleasures in life ... (like choc)!

BTW malakawa ... you are beautiful ... and honestly would die to look like you right now. (on my way though!)

11. Peaches

I know what you mean. Although, admittedly, I like that super-thin look, and would love to be that way. Others here know that I've been having a bit of a personal "crisis" lately b/c I'm in my brother's wedding, and the bride and most of the other bridesmaids are size zero's...and then there's me. So not a size zero. *sigh* The thing is, they're actually naturally thin, and healthy.

But, yeah, I'm with you on the breaking part. Whenever I hug my sis-in-law-to-be it feels like I could snap her like a twig. (She, by the way, is probably a double zero. When going dress shopping, she tried on the smallest size wedding dress--size two--and there was probably 6 inches of loose fabric around her ribcage. I know, because I was the one holding it together in back...for a freakin' long time.:rolleyes:)

12. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Malakawa, I agree with samina, you are medium built, not super thin/slendar, but definitely far away from "fat"; people asking if you are soccer player just probably because you have strong leg muscles from your Latin training. From your previous avatar with that black leather skirt, you look quite hot;) don't worry:)

13. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I think we standard/latin girls suffer much less than Ballerinas or thin super models; I've seen girls from Ballet school with only skin & bones and still being criticized by their teachers as "fat""heavy" and they are trying hard to lose weight; absolutely unhealthy!!!

In ballroom world, much less of this problem as super model or ballerina, actually a lot of medium built, not so skinny ladies moving very well on the floor. Much less stories of ladies going crazy like stop eating to try to lose weight.

14. Peaches

Truly disgusting...

15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

You are 1/4 of an inch taller than me and about 20 pounds lighter. (I'm 5'3.75", 138 lbs.) In my rational moments I'll admit that I am not that big, so you are doing VERY well. And going on those pictures, if you are fat, the rest of us are doomed. You just don't have a stick figure, which is all well and good because that way you HAVE a shape.

16. Laura

Laura New Member

This is very true. Based on seeing what size used costumes have been on sale over the years, being a 4 is still normal for pros, with some 6's mixed in. For Pro/Ams and Senior amateurs, the sizes range even a bit larger to include 8's. And of course there are people both larger (14, 16) and smaller (00, 0). That's not to say there isn't quite a lot of lookism/sizeism in competitive dancing, though. Just that the pressure isn't quite as extreme as it can be in other areas.

17. Peaches

Yep, about the same here. I'm either 5'3" or 5'4" or somewhere in that range (I've been thinking I was 5'3" for years...recent doctor visit put me an inch higher...wha..???). Same weight as you. And if malakawa is fat, you and me are screwed.

18. Laura

Laura New Member

Ladies, your stats put you right in the healthy range for your height. Which is my height by the way. So none of you are big by any stretch of the imagination other than by the aesthetic put on dancers and the current trend toward obsessing over skinny actresses/models in our society.

19. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Rationally? I know this. IRRATIONALLY I'd be happy if I were about two inches shorter and thirty-five pounds lighter. Fortunately, nine times out of ten I am rational enough to realize I could starve myself to death and still not hit 103. Even if I WERE 5'1" or thereabouts.

Would be nice, though....

20. Laura

Laura New Member

I'd rather be a bit taller. 5'5" sounds good to me.

But what I really want is to be in the healthy range for my height and not have people (parents, boyfriends, coaches) pressure me to be thinner. That was a big problem for me when I was younger, like from when I hit puberty until my late 20's. I put on a lot of weight for many reasons, ranging from a significant bout with ill health to saying a big "screw you" to them all...about half of it is gone again now, but my biggest fear is that when I get it all off people will still give me short shrift based on how I look.