Dancers Anonymous > Weight

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by _malakawa_, Aug 21, 2008.

1. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

you look fine young lady - I call my little love handles tango handles :D

Anyway well done everyone if you're managing to lose weight. I seem to be pretty much keeping normal these days. I'm surprised I haven't turned into a skeleton yet.

2. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

thanks, but this still drives me crazy. any tips how to lose them.

3. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Sorry Malakawa...you can't "spot reduce" unfortunately. Some people, no matter how thin, still have love handles...

4. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

so, liposuction is the only option. :confused:

5. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Easiest way I'd have thought. Probably better to speak to a personal trainer and see what forms of exercise may help... as nj said though you can't spot reduce - so nothing guaranteed:(

I might get mine liposuctioned but to be honest they don't bother me that much - after my abdominoplasty I'm giving it a break for a while (still healing up!)...

6. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Clean diet, exercise, drink lots of water, and having proper genetics are my best recommendations. You can't spot reduce, you have to get your body fat low enough. Whether or not that is in a safe range with your genetics is a question better left up to a personal trainer. I know on my body there are certain areas that are the last to give up fat and the first to put it back on, that's just how my body stores its fat (if only that place was my biceps...)

7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

stupid genetics

8. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

no way to spot reduce - you have to lose overall weight to lose those love handles. and often, they only go away last.

look at your Body Fat %. If it is close to 15%, you might be very close to losing those love handles (and gaining a 6-pack).

to get to those low fat levels (and sustain them safely), you've got to lose weight, and/or gain muscle, and potentially put on weight if you are the skinny type (otherwise, you'll be too lightweight to sustain such low fat %).

9. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Your love handles are my saddle bags - they just will NOT go away. I have body fat in the low 20s and I swear, 15% of that is in my saddle bags:(. So frustrating! Liposuction or lipodissolve is one way to get rid of those. Another is to stop eating the bread products and desserts I so love! Neither option is particularly pleasant:(

When I exercise, I lose everywhere else (and there isn't much there anymore) but the darn saddlebags seem to just stay there. Granted, they've diminished overall, but when the rest of you shrinks too it doesn't look like the saddlebags are any smaller...

10. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

the same is in my case. :mad:

11. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

I am with you. All my family has it. Tonight I am going to gym and I'll speak with a personal trainer.

12. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Great! Let us know how things go.

13. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

every muscle is hurting me. those muscles in my stomach.:-?

14. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

oh dear! your personal trainer is tough! how does this affect your dancing training? you must feel pain in practice?

15. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

it is not him. I just spoke with him and he gave me some tips and he showed me how to practice. It is my BF. He is practicing with me. :cool:

16. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Hope it is the good kind of pain and not the bad kind... :-|

17. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

Now it is ok. I got used to it. I just hate gym. It is so boring. :???:

18. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Stick at it, just think of how good you'll look :) Take some music with you to pass the time?? although that depends on what exercises you do I guess... or you could do some 'exercises' in the style of 'Gladiators*' (TV) type stuff with your boyfriend :mrgreen:

*Imagine the person (your boyfriend in this instance) you are contending has stolen all your dance shoes and has set fire to them. You'll burn 1000 calories in 60 mins :D

19. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

LOL. Your cute.

Well each time I got to gym, when I see all those mirrors, I am watching my posture, and even then I am thinking about dancing and steps and technique.

When I am stretching my muscles I am thinking how can I use them in dancing.