Dancers Anonymous > Weird and/or Funny Dance Floor Stories

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Phil Owl, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

:shock: :eek: :lol: :roll: :oops: :p

What kind of funny or weird (or both) things have happened to you on the dance floor?

Here's a couple from my neck of the forest:

1) A couple Christmases ago, I went to a swing dance venue that has long been my favorite ( Swing City www.wannadance.com ). I danced with this one woman, who was fun as all get out and very sweet to boot. It happened that she had these battery powered X-mas lights in her hair. Every time she would spin or twirl, I had to snap my head back to avoid being hit by this strand of lights in her ponytail :lol . I still laugh about it to this day!

2) At another swing venue, I danced with this one woman that had LONG fingernails, almost like the talons on a Hawk or a Great Horned Owl. Not only was she a bit, well, over-energetic, but also was holding on with a near-death grip, with those "talons" digging into my hand :shock: . I kept my cool, but later I said to myself bemsuedly "Was I just dancing with a person or a bird-of-prey?" :lol: :?
    How about y'all?

2. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Haha, when I first started training to be an instructor I had fairly long acrylic nails and it was rather hard to keep the connection while dancing. Needless to say I keep them short and natural.

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

One time I was performing in front of about a hundred people and we were doing the lift from Dirty Dancing (you know the one they practiced in the lake). Just like in Dirty Dancing my partner had second thoughts about the lift. The only difference is that as she came running forward, she stopped, falling forward slightly. I outstretched my hands and grabbed both breasts!

4. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

lol. I watched DD last night. I luv that movie.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hey DanceMentor . . . did you get that on film???????

6. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

No, but I think my wife would have destroyed it long ago if I did (the breasts were not hers). :lol:

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I've accidently caught my "Pro" in the wrong places from time-to-time, albeit only in the studio - never in competition. She thinks nothing of it, but used to bother me!

It happens very infrequently nowadays . . . I must be getting better at dancing, leading, and placing my hands in the right places at the right time!

I can imagine that your mishap was indeed a sight to see. Did you blush? Did she?

8. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I was practicing a dancesport pattern with a fellow male instructor the other day in the training room at our studio. Everything was normal but we got stuck on how a step was supposed to look, my collegue to keep from getting more frustrated went over to the mirror and started to *ahem*..make pelvic thrusting motions at himself. I laughed, he laughed and needless to say we weren't frustrated anymore.

9. dancergal

dancergal New Member

LOL! I love all your stories. I have two stories that are similar. One happened to me, one happened to a dancer during a competion. Last year I went to a WCS dance convention in Arizona. While I was dancing, I felt the strap on my top break (it was a halter top, skinny strap). I managed to look down and grab my blouse before it fell off. The man I was dancing with didn't notice until I stopped and grabbed my top. He said, "I always hoped that would happen one day and I missed it." I turned red, he turned red! I tied it back on and kept dancing but after the dance I got a safety pin just to be sure it didn't happen again. I haven't wore that top again. Too bad because it's really cute!! LOL! The same thing happened to at a convention several months ago. Can't remember where it was. If you know any WCS pro dancers, it was Katie Boyle. She had on a very tiny top, completely backless. While she was dancing, the strap broke around her neck. She grabbed it before it fell off and completed their dance routine with one hand (pretty talented). ha ha! She still gets teased about it.

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

dancergal'

Sounds like we attend most of the same events. I too attend the UCWDC event (corect one???) in Arizona, and I was at the event, front center, when Katie lost her top. By the way, I took privates from Katie and Jason for nearly a year. Do you attend the Fresno event?

I've seen many tops go in the last few years, as it gets very hot at times, and you women are wearing less and less . . . you should see the smile on my face!

I don't miss too many halter tops . . . I would bet that we have danced together, but I would have missed it too (yeah right!), as . . . "I (always???) look into the eyes of person that I'm dancing with."

11. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Vince A, you never know we may have danced together. You couldn't miss my halter top. It was purple with a big butterfly on it. :) I'm glad you look your partner in the eyes when you dance. I danced with many that won't look at you. It's very unnerving. Yes, I went to the Fresno event. One of my favorites because they have so many fun things going on plus I love the country dancing, the pajama parties and jello shots! Did you see the contest in the atrium where Kim Levin had to eat worms? What a scream that was.

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

dancergal,
    No, I'm sure I would not have missed "the butterflies, er, sorry, you said butterfly."

My lead is so in-tune with a follower when I look into her eyes. It is also unnerving when they can't or won't look back . . .

Fresno is one of my favorites . . . although this year I didn't do Pro-Am there. My Pro wanted me to move up, and our 7 routines just were not jelled by then. Actually, at Fresno this year . . . it was one of my best events that I have attended. I could do no wrong in WCS or 2 Step . . . and was up dancing until 3 or 4 each night, which, if I had done Pro-Am, Jack and Jills, Just Dance, would have gone to bed early to get the rest. I had many compliments on my dancing that weekend, especially after I've just come off a few privates with Yvonne B (my fantasy and idol) who has been teaching me how to get "funky" and "playing" in WCS. It's working.

Funny, you mention Kim. Her boyfriend Robert Campos is my wife's Pro. Robert/Kim and we sometimes share rooms together. We see a lot of them, and sometimes assist in their WCS classes at the new SaddleRack in Fremont.

And yes, the worms were way too much. I assume they (UCWDC) will continue with their version of "Fear Factor." None of us would get near her, and Robert wouldn't kiss her very much, and when he did, he immediately downed a beer. Too funny. Best weekend I've ever had at an event!

13. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Vince A - Oh my, then this is a really small world. I wonder if we know each other! I used to be a dance helper at the new Saddle Rack where Robert and Kim teach. I only did Wednesday nights, not Thursdays when Robert teaches. I did that from when it first opened until the end of June. I recently took a leave of absence this last month because I was getting burned out of all the traveling since I live in Santa Cruz (it about an hour's drive). We are required to practice on Tuesday evenings, so that was two evenings I had to be there plus many Saturdays. I go to a WCS dance class on Mondays (in Campbell), so I was dancing almost everyday of the week. We still dance there most Wednesdays and some Saturdays. We also like to go on the Sundays whenever Robert has classes there if there is not another WCS Sunday dance going on. Is this too funny?

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'm sure we've met and danced.

We were there at his first class on Sundays for the 2 Step, although the DJ played a lot of WCS afterwards!!! I always ask a new person, which I dance with, where are they form? And I have met quite a few from SC.

This truly a small world. Did you happen to be at or near the large round table in Fresno where Robert/Kim were sitting during Pro-Am? There was about 15-20 of us?

15. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Vince A - No, we weren't at that table. Our table was more around the left side of the dance floor and we pretty much danced over there. I talked to Kim and Robert a few times that weekend, but I never did get a chance to dance with Robert. He was always so busy. They are both really nice people. I've seen Robert do some private lessons at the dance studio where we take our classes in Campbell with Richard Kerr and Helen Voss. They have a Monday night WCS class. We take a few privates with Richard. I'm not brave enough to do a Pro-Am just yet. I did compete for the first time in Arizona this year. It was fun.

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

dancergal,
    Robert would be a great person to do Pro-Am with, as he is rapidly becoming an up-and-comer Pro. However being from SC area, Richard/Helen would be my first choice - both together if you can afford it!

Can't place you yet . . . but I'm working on it! The last person I hugged goodbye to, out in the parking lot of the Hyatt, happened to be from SC.

Are you going to San Jose over Labor Day? I'm supposed to compete, but had an emergency family crisis last night, which may put an end to my competing for a while.

If you do go, we'll have to dance???

17. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Vince A - Yes! we are going to the Labor Day dance convention in San Jose. Maybe we'll have a dance there! If you go the Saddle Rack at all, I'm sure we've seen each other and maybe danced at least once. We hugged a lot of people goodbye in the parking lot in Fresno, but I can't remember who right now. :) If I knew how to make my photo fit here, I would put it up, but I don't know how to make it fit in the format that's required. I'm sorry to hear you had an family emergency. I hope things get better for your family and you'll be back competing again.

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

dancergal . . .

Hope to see you in San Jose . . . my Pro talked me into breaking away from all that's been happening to our family lately, and I went to the studio and practiced until I couldn't go anymore.

I am just getting back into dancing after taking such a beating at World's - it bummed me out for a while, so I gave up dancing.

My Pro moved me up a level and we started last week on 8 new routines. That means I have 6 weeks to get them down. I may drop the Triple 2 and the Triple Step, and just do the required 4 plus a NC2S and ECS. I may not have them in six weeks, but I'll put them on the floor. I'll probably do poorly and look like hell, but by SanDiego in October . . . LOOK OUT! It's called "My Dance Floor!"

You need to get into the competing part of dancing. You'll begin to excel in all your dancing . . . although I don't know you - you could be there already!

Can you divulge your first name only??? I dance with as many individuals as I can, and I always introduce myself . . . so if I hear your name, I can ask if "you are from SC, then "dancergal," etc.

Vince

19. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Hi Vince, I'm not really a competition dancer. I've only been dancing WCS 2 yrs. and only recently took some private lessons. I get too tense for competition, but maybe when I get more experience I'll be more confident doing it. I did a Jack & Jill in Arizona for the first time and it was fun, but I only did it for the experience of it. I knew there were going to be a lot of competitors on the floor and I wouldn't feel so much like dancing under a microscope for all the see. I get too nervous and end up dancing very tense. It's good that your back at your dancing. I know it's hard to stay away and it will actually be good for you to get a break from the family troubles even for a little while. My first name is Pam.

20. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

dancergal, Hi Pam. Actually some nervousness is good . . . it can be turned into energy, and energy is what you need to get through the competitions. But you know your limits better than anyone.

I look forward to meeting you in SJ.

IUt feels good to be back to dancing . . . it kinda keeps the problems in abeyance.

Keep in touch . . . keep practicing . . . let me know how your dancing is coming along???