Dancers Anonymous > Weird and/or Funny Dance Floor Stories

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Phil Owl, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Last night was CLASSIC!! :lol:

I did a particularly ferocious and fun cha-cha with this one woman, and at one point, we broke apart for some "shines" as it were, well wouldn't you know it, this woman breaks out into a HILARIOUS Elaine Benes dancing impersonation while keeping rhythm and yours truly is just HOWLING with laughter I nearly lost my place!

NOTE: For non-Seinfeld watchers, Elaine Benes (played by Julia Louise Dreyfuss) had this, shall we say "UNIQUE" style of dancing that didn't exactly endear her to her cohorts.

But in any case, that is ome cha-cha I will NEVER forget as long as I live! This woman had personality and spunk and then some, great dancer and VERY funny! If ONLY she wasn't married.

2. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Gosh, I would have loved to have seen that! Definitey sounds hilarious! An "Elaine" shine.....too funny! :lol:

3. Phil Owl

I'm STILL howling just thinking about it!!!

4. angelbaby

angelbaby New Member

Now you've got me cracking up - and it is after midnight here in ahouse full of sleeping ppl. :roll:

Can't type cos laughing too much. When we first started salsa we would go over moves individually in a group and do some salsa line dance and i swear this one woman looked JUST like Elaine. I couldnt dance cos i kept cracking up and we were newbies there and these ppl just keep staring at me. I had to keep walking off the dance floor and right out of the room. My partner was sooo embarrassed cos of me. But i swear that dancer had the thumbs, the moves, heck she even dressed like Elaine!!!! And she was so serious about her dancing and (luckily) had no idea I was being so mean (well i couldnt help it - she was the one doing the Elaine impersonations!!). I could only dance as long as I couldnt see her. As soon as I did I just cracked up again :lol:

Thank you so much for reminding me so i can get more chuckles out of it.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: Elaine impersonations? You are pretty mean. Funny, but mean.

6. angelbaby

angelbaby New Member

She was the one doing the impersonations. I was just umm appreciating it lol. And i am sure she had no idea i was rolling around the floor in hysterics because of her. In fact i think Elaine was doing impersonations of HER!

7. pygmalion

:lol: :lol:

8. angelbaby

angelbaby New Member

Then there was this time in class and i was trying to tell the instructor that my partner and i obviously didnt have the move right (salsa) cos each time he spun me back around i was so close i almost hit him. Well instructor said i just had to be more careful and i tried (i really really did) to explain that it really really wasnt right but he couldnt see what i mean (as i showed it in slow-mo with partner) (and partner couldnt see the problem either :? ) So..... I said fine i'll just dance it like this then and when they put the music back on i just did the turn - spin me out, spin me in and whammo :raisebro: , as partner spun me back in, my elbow ummm :oops: sort of wacked him in the face. He and the instructor looked sooo shocked (see i am really mean; my kids call me "queen of mean"). But then they could see what i meant and that there was a problem. which was..... dada....partner was not stepping back as he spun me back in and i had no room to be except literally in his face. If only they had listened......

Yes partner is still dancing with (and married to) me lol. I was just trying to (ahem) better our dancing.

(it was mean & i feel really bad now...but i cant stop laughing again)

9. pygmalion

ROTFL! I have to log off now, or I'm going to get fired. I'm laughing too loud. :lol: :lol:

10. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Me too, or I'll need to fire myself! :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

This is a great thread! :lol: :lol:

Ooooh, where do i start....

There was that one time when a good friend of mine dipped me really low, and then brought me up very quickly so that my head snapped. Unfortunately, he was leaning over me while bringing me up...oh, and I forgot the cardinal rule of always keeping my mouth closed while being dipped, so I ended up smacking him in the face with my teeth! :oops: I got teased about it forever.

Then I was dancing with my partner at a friend's party. Everyone had a drink or two, and my partner and I were experimenting, and just having fun. He decided to do a "toss your partner between your legs" move, and as he did so, I lost my balance, plopped on my butt and ended up sliding across the floor, flailing my arms trying to stop. To my horror, the flailing found an unsuspecting target, namely, another girl's butt. She was a good friend and just laughed it off, but I was sooooo embarrassed! :oops: At least everyone else got a good laugh out of it. :)

12. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Oh, here's another....

We were at a club in San Francisco that played *really* fast techno music. We tried to hustle to it for a while, and when we left the club a guy walked up to us and said, "that was a great salsa!" I don't know what inspired him to see our frenzied hustle as salsa, but it was hilarious! :)

13. pygmalion

RandomMysh,

I think I'm going to explode. I'm getting a visual of you sliding across the floor and flailing. :lol: :lol:

14. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Hehe...like many things in life, this makes for a great story...especially because it was so awful at the time! :shock:

Glad you enjoyed it. :)

15. angelbaby

angelbaby New Member

Hubby has reminded me of the time we had been awake for over 24 hrs with one of our teenagers at the hospital but thought well we've been up for so long now we might as well stay up and go dancing anyway.

Got to salsa about 10pm and i had a glass of bubbly and he had a beer ( i should have been worried then cos he only has to sniff alcohol and it goes to his head so easily). Got up to dance and he was sort of wobbling all over the place and i didnt really know why cos i felt fine and just told him to get it together and he was sort of clumping his feet forward and backward and i said "hey maybe you could put a tap in it somewhere" ( he said later he was so tired that he didnt even remember how to do a tap lol or what i meant :lol: ) Then he was all over the place and telling me not to stare at him!!! Eventually i worked out that he was totally past functioning and we sat down but at first i just couldnt work out what on earth he was doing and why he didnt just dance properly.

Just as well everyone knows us there and was not even concerned - they just thought we were mucking around together! After a coffee we managed a reasonable cha cha or something before calling it a night and going home for some obviously much needed sleep.

We still chuckle about it :)

16. pygmalion

All that? On one beer? He must've been really tired... All the more reason to go dancing. :lol: :lol:

17. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

How about the story of the girl dancing a jive when her partner launched her into a series of spins, which happened to co-incide with a near-by couples spins, and she somehow ended up in the arms of the near-by couples shocked lead.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

This past weekend I showed up for a social dance just a little early while the beginner lesson was still in session. Sometimes the instructor will ask me be a lead when there are more followers then leads. This time the distribution was off by one, and they were learning basic foxtrot.

The woman I got paired with started telling me what I should be doing as soon as we started, as if I was a brand new person. I just said simply that I had done this before, but she immediately continued telling what I should be doing. She had a typical newcomers frame that was collapsing with every step, and I was about ready to say something when she told me what she thought I was doing wrong again. At that point I just looked at her and said I been dancing for a year and a half, and I compete. She said, "Yes, but we're not doing exactly what they are doing", in reference to a couple that was obviously struggling with what was likely their first foxtrot lesson, too. Luckily I was saved by the music stopping and the lesson coming to an end.

During the social dance this woman stayed and had an opportunity to see what I could really do, and when I asked her to dance there was no more critizism. She even asked me to show her the basic Cha-Cha. ;)

19. Phil Owl

Beeewwwaaaaaarrrreeeee of zombie threads!!!! :shock::mrgreen::twisted:

Very recently, I had the very odd experience of dancing with a woman who was a near EXACT replica of Sarah Palin, I kid you not! :twisted:

Strange and surreal doesn't even begin to describe it.

20. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

lol, I went to a Halloween ballroom dance last year, and one lady dressed up as Sarah Palin, as a costume. She wore a red suit, glasses, her hair the same as Sarah's. But it sounds like your recent dance partner's similarity was unintentional. :p