Swing Discussion Boards > Weird or Regional Swing Dances

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by pygmalion, Nov 22, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I found this link, which lists some swing dances I've never heard of before, such as the push, the whip, and, to make it worse, 50's jitterbug (from my home town) and Beach Bop (from Jacksonville -- a 2 hour drive from me! :shock: ) Can anyone give any infromation on these dances or other weird/regional swing dances near them? (Click to links -- Kurt's Swing Dances and History)

{non working link removed}

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Jenn:

When I click through on the url you provide I don't get a listing of swing dances, and so I'm not quite sure what you are referring to.

I live in Ithaca by the way :)

3. pygmalion

Yeah. The ithaca swing page is set up so that you don't get direct links. You have to go to the links button on the left of the page, then click to Kurt's dance styles and history link, which is in the list of web pages. Sorry about that. I prefer to give a direct link when I can.

It looks like you're in a great place for swing, by the way. :D

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

We have had hanger dances held at the local air museum in one of the hangers which I enjoyed since I do have an interest in vintage aircraft, but there hasn't been one in awhile.

5. Sagitta

While Kurt has done a great job for the swing styles that he covers, but he still misses out a lot of swing regional variations. But then there are so many that it's hard not to.

Yup. It's great being in Ithaca for swing dancing. I guess that's one of the reasons I started out learning swing first. Kind of ironic that I am focussing on ballroom and latin now, isn't it? :) But I wanted a break from swing, primarily as it is slipping into my ballroom and latin as I learn to get better at them. Also, the Tuesday night lindy hops at the local internet cafe are held on Tuesday, and ballroom and latin also are on Tuesday, so what is a person supposed to do?!?

6. HepcatBob

HepcatBob New Member

You can probably get some info on Beach Bop from the Jacksonville Beach Bop Association at {non working link removed} and The Florida Boppers, Inc. at http://www.floridaboppers.com/

7. jon

jon Member

Push/Whip are regional variants of WCS from Texas, ala Imperial Swing from KC and a bunch of others. The distinctiveness of the variants has really died down over the years due to travel and conventions and videos.

Beach bop is in the same family as Carolina Shag but I don't know much more - danced with some folks in Birmingham once who did it. They were an extremely friendly and fun crowd even if our dancing wasn't very compatible.

8. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

SWING IT!!
    OF COURSE!!!

9. Sagitta

NO! Fine other swing events on other nights!!!

Unfortunately I'm simply a newbie generalist. Cannot do all, and cannot sacrifice all for one. :( :) There actually is WCS swing dancing every other Monday at a bar/restaurant and another mixed swing record hop on Wednesdays at a studio in a gym, both with a predominantly older crowd. I do go for the Wednesday's occassionally -- wouldn't lose my swing completely, then wouldn't be able to ever swing with the likes of you swing kitty :) WCS is on my 2004 New Years resolution list...I think it is, so Monday nights will then be in too. Then I go to one of the swing club's practices some Fridays at Cornell University. Just don't want to do swing on same night as ballroom and latin.

[I actually did all first!!! Latin class from 7-8, ballroom 8:15-9:15, swing at the internet cafe 9:30-11:00, then latin dancing 11:15-2:00a.m.

This impeded my learning, :? so now Latin 7-8, ballroom 8:15-9:15, followed by social ballroom dancing for reinforcing what I learnt 9:15-9:45, followed by latin dancing from 10:00 to 1:00/2:00a.m. to have fun and see how well I can put into practice what I learnt earlier on.]

10. Sagitta

Speaking of swing dances I remember when surfing the web finding a place a place in New York city where you can learn Ceroc.

The link is {non working link removed} Scroll down to Ceroc on the longlist for info on how to learn and dancing opportunities.

Perhaps Ceroc will become a swing fad in certain areas too, so let's just add it to the list. :)

11. d nice

d nice New Member

With Dan Amores, Caitlin George, Andy Reid, Sky Humphries, Lucy Dunn, and Bill Borgida, all world class instructors and dancers, Ithaca is a great place to learn swing dancing.

12. Sagitta

Dan Amores, Caitlin George, Andy Reid aren't around now. I actually have taken lindy workshops from Sky Humphries, Lucy Dunn, and Bill Borgida. While all three are great I think that Bill Borgida is the best!! Here I think that his greater experience makes all the difference. :)

13. d nice

d nice New Member

I had forgotten that Andy had moved and just heard about Dan and Caitlin.

14. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: Hey d nice! Love that new signature line. Resistance is futile! I wonder what the salsa people in the house have to say about that? :lol: :lol:

15. Sagitta

I swing with the swing crowd, salsa with the sals'ing hustlers, and waltz with the ballroomers. D nice's line fits just fine. I don't resist. I just do it all. Now if we are talking about doing swing to other dance music that's a challenge that I don't concede!!

16. d nice

d nice New Member

No, the signature is in refernce to swing dancers stealing shamelessly from anyone and everyone, and adapting it to our purposes.

It was a choice between my current one and "Theives in the Temple of Ballroom"... I'm going to use that one on another one of the boards I post on.

17. pygmalion

Your signature sounds ominous, in a hilarious sort of way. I can just see Ralph Kramden in his space man get up, saying "take me to your leader."

18. pygmalion

It just occurred to me that the bop is probably a weird (and/or regional?) swing dance that I know how to do. :D Yes? Swing-related? The music sure sounds and feels swingy to me. And is that the same as the beach bop? I'll have to check into what the folks from Jacksonville do. Actually, I believe there'a a swing event in Orlando called beach boppers. Probably easy enough to find out if beach bop is the same as bop.

19. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I smell a google search! :lol:

20. HepcatBob

HepcatBob New Member

I left you a couple of links to Beach Bop groups on page 1 of this thread.
    :cheers: