Tango Argentino > Weirdest, most off-beat tango tunes

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Mar 24, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

As much as I adore traditional tango music (ballroom and Argentine tango), I was thinking how fun it would be to throw one of those "weird" non-tango tangos into the mix, but couldn't think of a few funky tunes you could AT to.

The beat is much rarer than, say, a cha cha or rumba, which you could do to many Top 40 tunes, but does anyone have any suggestions of off-beat or non-traditional tunes one could tango to?

2. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

No suggestion, but a story. A few years ago I was dancing at a studio that featured live bands every week for dancing. One band that played often used to do "Black Orpheus" as a tango, and it was the most godawful thing you've ever heard. If you know the tune, you'll know it's really a rumba. The melody line is legato and it moves continuously over sets of eight (or two 4/4 measures for musicians). The horns would play the melody, while the drummer beat out a tango basic on the snare. I simply refused to dance to such an abomination--I'm all for musical innovation, when it's smart and stylish, but this one definitely had me going to the bar!

3. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

also not a suggestion, but a comment that i once did a waltz followed by a schottsiche to the beatles' "lucy in the sky with diamonds".

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

there is a cd called Liverppol tangos which is Beatles songs done to tango beat. I've only heard Eleanor Rigby, but I preferred Stanley Jordan's version.

5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

see earlier link http://www.dance-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2199
    have you come across Blue Tango by Xavier Delisle? or Tom Waits' Tango til they're Sore; Gotan Project; BajoFondo Tango Club

6. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

BTM, that thread addressed re-tellings of classic tango tunes and classic tunes. I'm fascinated by dancing AT to modern songs, songs in a language other than spanish, top 40 tunes, tunes using something other than bandeneon, guitar and piano, for example.

Despite loving AT music, I wanted to have a least a couple of shots trying to dance AT to something a little, dare I say it, funkier.