Dance Ads > Well begun is half done - chat thread

Discussion in 'Dance Ads' started by Anonymous, Sep 28, 2005.

1. lynn

lynn New Member

yeah, having a chat room would be nice..... but i doubt that's going to happen...

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Well we have a chat thread instead :)

Don't know much about computers, but chat room would require a better server..

3. lynn

lynn New Member

really? maybe to handle the traffic volume....

i was talking to a girl in my dance class yesterday and she says the only reason she doesn't go to practice parties is b/c the ppl there do not inspire her! I was like :shock: ???!!! This was the same person who told me she absolutely loves dancing, i assumed she'd be able to dance with anyone....guess not.....

4. Katarzyna

yes, volume I think..

really.. well I don't go to practice parties etc. I don't dance with anyone besides my partner now. Got so used to it.. other people just don't feel very comfortable...

5. lynn

lynn New Member

of course, when you train specifically with a person, you adjust to their body types. I used to dance with one person in particular - now he's decided to quit dancing, i'm partnerless and for the first couple of classes with other people, something just doesn't feel "right".....

6. Katarzyna

but in ballroom at least, the higher up you get as a girl, the less people will feel comfortable to dance with.. My opinion..

7. lynn

lynn New Member

why?? i would think a good frame is a good frame, despite the difference in height/weight/body shape...etc, isn't it?

8. Katarzyna

Well, on a certain level, you just don't see a good frame on leaders... not at the socials or practice parties at least....

9. lynn

lynn New Member

i guess the standard for "good frame" changes as you go further up.... what about dancing with other competitors??

10. Katarzyna

Most competitors that I compete against don't dance at socials...

11. lynn

lynn New Member

what about socials that are held by mainly competitors? i don't know, maybe something like right after the comp?

12. Katarzyna

Most competitors would not feel too good to dance with ... and people at a certain level don't dance at socials. You might have some bronze, silver, maybe a gold guy... but even that is rare..

13. lynn

lynn New Member

it's tough to train as a competitor....

14. Katarzyna

It takes big time commitment to do it seriously.. And then it becomes something you love, but not something you do for fun...

15. lynn

lynn New Member

most people start out just for fun (@ least my friend did) but sometimes the passion (or maybe cash??) burns pretty fast....

16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

And things and people change over time. Who knows? *shrug*

17. Katarzyna

I started because I wanted to compete... but people who start for fun become good dancers, some social dancers some competitors...

18. lynn

lynn New Member

yeah, that's true, i'm still waiting for the day that i "fall in love" with dancing...

19. Katarzyna

Why do you do it if you don't love it?

20. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Good question. I mean, learning enough to be a decent social dancer is a good thing. It's a nice skill to have. But, chances are, you're already at that point, lynn. So why do you keep going? (No offense, of course. You can certainly spend your time and money on anything you want. But maybe there's a great avocational love-of-your-life waiting right around the corner, being obscured by your dancing. :? )