Swing Discussion Boards > West Coast Swing No-Nos

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by pygmalion, Dec 13, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Another classic from westcoastswingamerica.com

2. pygmalion

And from a Minneapolis Swing user group, some strictly tongue-in-cheek no no's. :lol:

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I see that Mark Van Schuyver and I agree on #12 . . . this is what I wanted 'oldancer' to read . . .

4. pygmalion

The pointer that still gets me is #8 -- anchor at the end of each set of steps. Argh! Still breaking bad habits I was allowed to learn.

5. msc

msc New Member

Can't say I agree with #1, #8, or #10.

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hi Mary,
    I really had questions with most of them . . . but there are exceptions to everything in dance, yet most of the time, these are pretty general guidelines to follow. As we get better, we tend to break those rules because now we can . . . and we get away with it.

So Jenn, the old habit to break sounds as though you don't always anchor and a lot of times do coaster steps???

7. d nice

d nice New Member

I disagree with 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, or at least with the way he wrote them. Then again I know tons of people who "dance" West Coast this way. I put it in quotation marks because their dancing tends be as if they are constantly trying to follow rules rather than converse with their partner and interact with the music.

Now if you want to really limit someones dancing early on so they are unlikely to develop bad habits this is one way to do it... I prefer to tell students what they can and should do to dance West Coast. A positive approach tends to resonate better with people.

8. pygmalion

Nope. No more coaster steps for me. It's just a matter of feeling really settled into the left hip. If I'm consciously thinking about it, no problem. If not, well, then old habits come back into play. I'll get there.

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

"That's" what I hoped you'd say . . . you no longer do them!

10. pygmalion

Okay. I've waited two day now for some greater wisdom. Is anybody going to enlighten us WCS neophytes on why you disagree witth Mr. Van Schuyver?

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Jenn,
    If you did everyone of these everytime you did a WCS, you'd look pretty bored and you would be very bored while you danced. All you need to know is "when you are being pulled off on count-1 and when you need to anchor your weight at the end of a move, pattern, playtime, etc., which could be count 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, and so on. You can almost eliminate counts 2 through 5 - I say almost, if you know what to do with your feet and body if those counts are left out.

Refer back to Mark's points . . .

1. There are lots of times that I use large steps . . .
    2. Yep . .
    3. There are certain moves where I do "push" and some moves cannot be done without a push to get them going in the opposite direction of where they were going and where I am going . .
    4. Break frame if you need to . . . it doesn't always look good, but are you in a beauty contest? There are many patterns and some basics easy patterns that look better when the frame IS broken . . .
    5. The only place my elbows shouldn't be is in my ear or in your face!
    6. The "new" style of WCS being taught is to use your arms, not to lead, but to emphasize the "stretch."
    7. Why not? What if I needed to get you into a sailor's shuffle out of a push? My arms certainly need to come up. What if I wanted you to do phantom turns out of a push? Or a figure 8 out of push?
    8. Yep . . .
    9. There are certain movements, especially in certain "Sweetheart Position" with multiple outside, that require a thumb to halt the movement, where just bringing down our arm is sometimes not enough signal to the followers . . .
    10.There are moves when I do want to halt the followers movements, therefore I DO step forward . . . and there are straight 8-count walkouts where my first move is count-1 forward and to the followers left.
    11.Yep . . .
    12. Some patterns can be started anywhere . . . many times I start a pattern on count 5 . . . no big deal . . .
    . . . and the &1 count??? It works for me . . . although most will disagree . . .I have learned to use the &1 count to my advantage . . . it's a styling thing for the footwork, knees, and body for a funky look in WCS for that kind of music when it's played.
    13.I love being hijacked . . . that's being led back!
    14.Again, getting a good stretch is now the in thing, although with strictly "swing" music, I do stay somewhat closer . . .
    15.There are times when I want the follow to stop or do something different in the middle of a turn . . . how do you suppose I signal her to say . . . "hey, get ready, we're going to do something different." Some turns are not done right over her head (small halo). . . atitude turns are done out around the followers shoulder area . . . or a large halo!