Swing Discussion Boards > Westies: Going to San Francisco Dance Sensation?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by twnkltoz, Mar 18, 2013.

1. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

It's been years since I've really "done" a convention, but I won a ticket last night last night (second in the J&J--woot!) to SFDS so I'm going. Any other DFers going? Have you been to Chuck's events before? I'm really looking forward to all the workshops.

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

when is it??

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

4. Mr 4 styles

thanks pyg alas im on call so not this year:(

5. pygmalion

Bummer.

Aside: Still amazes me how relatively inexpensive these swing events can be. $125 for the four day weekend (plus travel and accommodations, of course.) There's no way you'd get that much ballroom ANYTHING for only $125.

6. twnkltoz

Mr. 4 Styles...too bad! You still owe me a dance.

Jenn: They are definitely cheaper. And the dance competitions are about $16-$30 and might go two or three rounds. And you only enter a couple of them during the weekend, not 50 or 100. AND that $125 includes workshops and tons of social dancing.

7. pygmalion

Yep. It's seriously tempting me to dabble more deeply into the swing scene, here in DFW. Lots of dance. Lots less cash out of pocket. I was googling *I think* one of dnice's upcoming workshops and found a couple that teach here more-or-less locally (DFW is big. Something on the other side of the metroplex could be a two-hour drive.) I am really, really tempted to delve into some of the niche swing dances and/or blues dance.

8. twnkltoz

AND you can compete without having a partner.

9. pygmalion

A gigantic plus.

10. Mr 4 styles

yes i know!! well next year or phoenix in july!!!

but you might melto_O

11. twnkltoz

If I'd won the contest instead of placing second, I would have had my first pick and I was going to take Phoenix. I don't know if I can afford it without winning a ticket. We'll get together eventually. :)

12. Mr 4 styles

WOOHOO:D

13. pygmalion

I was watching some J&J finals from Phoenix from last year and the year before. I'd LOVE to go, even if only to spectate.

This guy, for example, knows how to show off his partner and doesn't seem to feel obligated to fill every second with flash. Liked it. :) And btw, what gives with the two song tradition?

14. twnkltoz

Oh...I LOVE Robert.

The two songs allows them to have a variety to show what they can do to different styles of music.

15. pygmalion

He is something else, isn't he? The two song thing makes sense. Thanks. There's another video of him that I absolutely love, which really shows what you're talking about. First song -- down and dirty rap. Second song, upbeat and practically C&W. And his dancing style is completely different with the two songs. Nice.

16. twnkltoz

That's blues. :)

It's just mind blowing what they do in J&J at that level. You could swear it's choreographed.

17. pygmalion

Yeah. Mind blowing. :)

And what's blues? The dance or the song? (No challenge intended. I'm here to learn.) When the dancing is so high level, it's hard to see the slots. *shrug* But yeah, Drinkin Wine Spodie Odie (or however you spell that )is an old blues tune that my grandmom, who'd be 101 if she were living, used to love.)

18. pygmalion

I have completely hijacked your thread. Tell you what? I'll start another one or awesome WCS videos, etc. I am having
    SO MUCH FUN with youtube. I'm sure there's more to come. :)

This way, people can actually talk about SF Dance Sensation. :)

19. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Really enjoyed the clips!

I wouldn't say it's blues though, I can post some blues dancing clips when I get home from work.

Edit: Ooops sorry for contributing to the thread drift, cut out bits about social dancing vs choreography comments. Will repost later in a more appropriate thread

20. twnkltoz

No...I meant the second song was a blues song. Jenn said it was upbeat, almost country. I was clarifying that that song is classified as blues. They were still dancing WCS.