Swing Discussion Boards > Westies: Going to San Francisco Dance Sensation?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by twnkltoz, Mar 18, 2013.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yeah. No idea why it would be classified as blues, but it is. I've read a little bit about the music of that period and even have a couple CD collections. But the whole rhythm and blues thingie from the late 40s doesn't make sense to me, yet. That whole category of Black music between the big band era and ... the Motown era is one big smush, to me. If I had to categorize it, I'd call this song rhythm and blues, not blues. (Rhythm and Blues -- not today's R&B -- included a bunch of different genres, like gospel, country and blues.)

Spo dee o dee (I looked up the spelling lol) sounds upbeat, to me. *shrug*

Still would love to see the blues dance clips, though. :cool:

2. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not so good at categorizing, either, especially when the lines are blurred.

3. pygmalion

Off to start threads for WCS and blues. I SO LOVE having somebody to talk with about this stuff. :) Thanks, ladies.

Siggav likes this.
  4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Recommended reading:

Tamlyn, Garry. 1998. The Big Beat: Origins and Development of Snare Drum Backbeat and Other Accompanimental Rhythms in Rock 'n' Roll.

The New Blue Music : Changes in Rhythm & Blues, 1950-1999 Ripani, Richard J.

Much of what we think we know about r&b and it's relationship to rock n roll, etc. is based on the work of non musicians who knew nothing about Western Swing, apparently. Tamlyn and Ripani know music:
    Tamlyn M. Mus. B.Mus.,
    Ripani undergrad degree in music education
    M.M instrumental conducting PhD Musicology, Ethnomusicology,Southern Regional Studies

Ripani doesn't delve into the 40s, as I remember it.
    Tamyln can downloaded as a pdf file.

I resist categorizing music, even more so as I learn more about it, especially in casual conversation. I will say, though, that something is bluesy, or, we can do a West Coast Swing to it, etc. Everything is just so mixed up, and has been almost as long as there have been non Native people in the Americas.

5. twnkltoz

Let's see if I can do this right...my partner and I are on the right (heavy blonde).

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  6. pygmalion

You get it girl! You put that other couple to shame, if I must say so. :)

7. twnkltoz

Awww thank you!

8. pygmalion

I'll see if I can find a copy of that book.

I think a lot of things were complicated by the fact that American music, back then, was so strongly divided along racial lines. According to record companies, there was music, then there was "Negro" music. So Louis Jordan, Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, and John Lee Hooker, (and some country and gospel artists whose names I don't know) all of whom my parents and grandparents listened to, were in one giant category -- "Black." Never mind that every one of those musicians is in a separate category, IMO.

I think that changed a lot with the Motown era and the British invasion. People crossed color lines and now, you could categorize music based on what it was, rather than the skin color of the person making it.

9. pygmalion

And back to the actual topic: Holy cow! Look at the line-up of instructors and judges! People even I have heard of. lol. This looks like a can't miss event.

Ben Morris & Melissa Rutz
    Benji Schwimmer & Torri Smith
    Myles & Tessa Cunningham-Munroe
    Sean McKeever & Courtney Adair
    Arjay Centeno & Deborah Szekely
    Michael Kielbasa & Tara Trafzer
    Chuck Brown & Sharon Her
    John Kirkconnell & Alyssa Glanville
    Brandon Gautreaux & Malia San Nicolas
    Nicholas King & Yenni Setiawan
    Joshua Sturgeon & Lindsey Nastos
    Ben McHenry
    Demetre Souliotes
    Doug & Nicki Silton
    Jay Byam

10. twnkltoz

Yes, I'm super excited, particularly about the solo dance workshops...I've been wanting to learn some jazz and hip hop to spice up my dance a little and some ballet for control and balance.

11. twnkltoz

Here's the final round of our competition.

pygmalion and Terpsichorean Clod like this.
  12. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Westies waltzing. Now I've seen it all. o_O

pygmalion likes this.
  13. twnkltoz

I was a waltzer before I was a westie!

14. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Once a waltzer, always a waltzer. :D