Tango Argentino > What are you currently 'working on' in A.T.?-Vol.II

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Mario7, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Kinda hard to know where to start.

Well, then let it be just that.
    Unfortunately, I think you will find, as I did, that many people want tango to be serious. I found myself apologizing to women for both of us having fun. How sad is that? Maybe it was just me, but when I would watch other people dance, I wouldn't exactly think of the word "fun".
    Different people want different things from the dance. and it can be difficult to find people that want the same thing as you do.

I often wondered what other people thought of my tango. Many people watching smiled. Some women smiled. Some just ended up looking annoyed. (I usually "pick up speed", or "push the envelope" if things are going well in a tanda. It is often not appreciated.)
    Other than the judgements of my partners and maybe again partners, I haven't really subjected myself to the judgements of others since I stopped taking lessons. There it seemed finally that teachers just had different ways of doing things and you could go on and on taking lessons and not get better.... just recreated maybe.
    This until I took my West Coast Swing lessons with Blair.
    Where do you want to go with your dancing?
    Have you reached that point where you don't seem to be learning anything?
    If I had a regular partner, or took lessons again, I could learn new tricks and get "better". Maybe? What I've found over the years is that the vast majority of people come and go at pretty high rate. Teachers change what they teach.
    Only the basics last over the long term, it seems. (and even there there are problems) And if that isn't enough to sustain your interest...

2. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Colgadas. They still go against every tango instinct in my body. :D But they are starting to make sense. And even be fun.

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Butt out.

4. Subliminal

lol. I know! But... but... I've been working for a year now on keeping my butt in! And leaning forward!

5. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Personality 8)

6. ant

ant Member

Consideration for your partner and personally I would put that above the two you have listed

7. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

The teacher seems to be saying that you are not consistently serious enough, but it sounds like you don't wish to be serious all the time. Your teacher's opinion is just one. There is nothing wrong with just having fun, as long as your partner enjoys it, too. IMO, solicit opinions from some of your dance partners to see what they think. This also leads to the question, why are you going to the teacher (or what is it that you are trying to improve)?

8. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

If you want it to be playful, you have to figure out a way to play with it. I'm unsure why you would want it to be either sophisticated or not. Is sophisticated a bad quality?

For me, a craftsman is someone who can build already conceived ideas, perhaps beautifully. An artist is one who can come up with those ideas, that others can only duplicate. His mental properties are creativity. A writer uses language as his palette, and language requires symbols, or mental things. A dancer uses his body as his palette. It's an experiential thing, as opposed to a symbolic thing. After you have the tools of tango, then you have to become creative with them. For me, this meant loosing all the fanciness and becoming artistic with the most basic of movements. There is a tremendous amount of variation and expression you can bring to a simple side step.

My tango is playful at times, even humorous. But to me, those are things that exist in the mind. I try to go into my body, and into the music.

Technique can support your dancing, but it can't make your dance.
    "Technique is what you fall back on when you run out of inspiration". — Rudolf Nureyev

Rely on your technique to carry you through, but don't rely on it to be your dance. I suggest you loose yourself in your body, your partners body, the interaction between them, and in the music. Sometimes I like to think about playing the music with my partners body, just as I might with a violin (if I could play one).

9. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Re: next step

Many many thanks to you all! You comments were so helpful, constructive, and empathizing. Think (hope) everyone of you got these foggy periods of uncertainty. Think, developement takes place in batches, and the personality thing is next.

wr OD

10. AndaBien

I've been working on a clockwise giro in apilado embrace for a couple of months. I'm starting to get it.

11. Mario7

Mario7 Member

This movement also facinates me. What are you 'starting to get' at this point?:!:

12. AndaBien

It's hard to say; maybe my own balance, axis, foot placement, timing, energy.

One thing I know is that my partner has to know to crank the molinete, because I can't energize it in this movement. I only try this step with partners who are capable dancers.

13. Subliminal

Interestingly enough, the clockwise turn in CE came up in my last lesson. For me, the main problem seems to be leading it with enough force. I know, force is usually a bad word to use in tango. But according to my teacher, I need to keep connection in the left hand, going slack kills the impulse to turn. Even in apilado, where you can theoretically lead the entire turn with just your chest, she told me that keeping the left hand steady and making micro-adjustments with the right arm improves the connection and comfort of the follower.

That's what I learned... now to put it into practice. Heh.

14. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Interesting, I was advised (by experienced follow) to keep my right shoulder moving that that was what she was following, but I can see how my left hand would give her something to steady herself and push against..I must remember to try this! thks

15. Mladenac

Just lead her with your right shoulder i.e. opening space for her. If you use your left you would push her and she might lose balance.

16. AndaBien

I prefer to adhere to the theory. If I can't manage to maintain the connection and lead in my chest, then I won't do the step. Once I get into the embrace, I don't want to let it go until the music ends.

It's a challenging move for me, but I'm getting better at it.

17. Mario7

Mario7 Member

FWIW, I feel the same way and am approaching completion of my third year at AT....very important for me was once during a milonga in my first year, I executed an ocho cortado, one of my first, and the woman said 'but you didn't have to break the embrace'...she was disappointed and it started me thinking..now, I never want to break the embrace and if I am, then I know that there's a better way to do it and that I should find it.
    Recently, I've gotten dances with very advanced 'modern' tangueras. I didn't wait for just the 'right' music and so there were songs that required a lot of turning and reverse turns...the women tended towards pulling away as they turned and used leg adornments..it was really exhilerating the battle of the embrace..I went with them and the music but was still able to mantain at least some contact of the close embrace thruout...feeling the spring-like torsion of their bodies was an amazing experience as they turned and turned...hmmm, I wonder if maybe those who dance 'Nuevo' in open hold, aren't missing something?;)

18. AndaBien

For me, there's nothing better than feeling the two bodies dancing as one.

19. Mladenac

Why would they? I adore Golder era tango. But when I hear some Neo tango it screams for boleo, volcada, colgada. It is unsuitable to dance CE on those songs for me.

20. Mladenac

I like when people are dancing to the song, no matter what kind of embrace. :peace: