Funstuff and Inspiration > What Are You OCD About ???

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Ray Sison, May 2, 2010.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

What Is Something That You Are OCD About ???

I am convinced that everyone can be diagnosed as having OCD about something! Here you can come clean, any time that you want, about something you are and/or have been OCD about!

For me, off the top of my head, I have some OCD about leaving the house each day before checking (many times):
    1. That the stove is off.
    2. That the thermostat is set to about 74 degrees.
    3. That the water faucets are off.
    4. That the lights are off.
    5. That the front door is locked after I close it.

One of the ultra-OCD cases that I heard about lately concerns someone who buys a lot of DVDs--and before even opening each one up and watching it, adds it to a spreadsheet that organizes the data for the DVD collection by title, category, etc. That person also keeps the DVD in racks that are themselves organized alphabetically and by category. (Definitely NOT me!)

:)

2. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I can't say I'm OCD about anything. My room is a mess, my books used to be organised, but aren't anymore, I don't write things in diaries...nope.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lolz...I am not ocd...but I am surrounded by it...big time...I find it cute

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I am also not OCD.

Found it very interesting when all my sisters came to visit recently and we got to talking. Turns out that they all count things. Lots of things. Every thing.

The number of steps from one location to another. The number of eggs left in the carton. The number of key strokes in a sentence. The number of stoplights on the way to the grocery store. Everything. And to make it worse, there are right and wrong numbers.

Meaning, some things, such as things in stacks, have to be odd. But other things, like decorative pieces in a room must be even.

I was left shaking my head.

I don't get the OCD thing. I understand that it's real and important to many people that every detail be just so, but I truly don't care about the details.

5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Lioness, There are different forms of "OCD". It can be like having to divide your M&M's into color groups, and then eating one color at a time...

Or, like one person that I've heard of, who cannot pump gas without rounding up to the nearest round number for the price...

Or, not being able to eat anything that is yellow...

Or, having to click a pen three times before putting it in your pocket...

6. fascination

dh cannot leave the house without many obsessions about the toilet running or the thermastat...or whatever...and pro?...well, let's just say yes.....lolz...my observation however is that it is the flip-side of a certain affinity for precision that makes for greatness...so I am glad I get to borrow from it :)

7. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Some people freak out when any cupboard door is left open at the end of the evening...

Some people cannot sleep if a closet door is not closed...

Some people hate folds in the pages of their books...

Some people don't like their food to touch or mix...

8. fascination

lolz...nope...not a problem.... :)...but, as a counselor, I have seen plenty of it....I knew a lady who had to have all of the screws in the switch plates for her lights and electric outlets all exactly horizontal....I told my pro about this and he did not bat an eyelash :)

9. Lioness

I think you may have got me. Borrow my books, read them, but if you crease them on purpose, you're never getting them again.

...I like my books

10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yeah, that one bugs me so much--that when I've sold books to used book stores, they are amazed by the nearly pristine condition of my books. Same with CDs and DVDs...

11. Lioness

It also bugs me when people other than the authors write in them, also, used book shops putting stamps in them. Several of my books have "Book exchange" in them, and it annoys me.

12. fascination

interesting...I find much loved books with all sorts of notes written in them to be very wonderful

13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Me too!

14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I'm with Lioness on this one--but I do have one used book (completely in Spanish) that is something like 100 (or even more) years old with some notes (en espanol) that I find intriguing...

15. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

If I park on a street I have to be right up against the curb or I'll keep working on getting closer to it before I get out.

My scrubs being ironed and clean smelling.

DesireeDC likes this.
  16. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

To WW...

Wonder Woman, regarding the parking, pretty same for me...

Another person I've seen, she has to have the car perfectly straight when she parks--and she can't let that go until she has straightened it...

17. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

A friend in college was had OCD. As in, diagnosed and was on heavy medication to deal with it. Her room was an absolute disaster. I asked her about it one time, and her explanation was that in her mind there was a CORRECT WAY to organize things and a RIGHT PLACE to start cleaning. Problem was, she could never figure out or decide what was the correct way or right place. The indecision would paralyze her, and nothing would happen and so her room remained a mess. Very strange.

It extended to other things as well. She described one time walking from one part of the house to the other, and having a choice as to which way to go. She couldn't figure out which way was better...and got "stuck." As in, she couldn't move from the room. I guess she ended up throwing things within reach until she got a family member's attention who could could come and help her.

I'm "OCD" about lots of things, although much less now than I used to be. (There is an upside to multiple burn-outs!) But I certainly don't consider myself really OCD. Having seen what it's like for someone who really and truly has it, I can't say that I do.

Now, neurotic, OTOH... I've been called that by several people. I'll concede to neroticism on some level.

18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yeah, I think we are all neurotic in one way or the other!

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Moi aussi. Anybody who can't cop to some level of neurotic ... is probably psychotic. :shock: Just kidding!!!!!

20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Usually it bothers me. But I lent my copy of The Prophet to my brother when he went to Iraq (both as a source of comfort or something, and as something I expected him to be alive to bring home and return to me personally), and it came back with writing all through it. At first it annoyed me, but now I look at it and it's like I can see what he was worried about and what was important to him at the time, and it means a lot to me.