Funstuff and Inspiration > What Are You OCD About ???

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Ray Sison, May 2, 2010.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I feel something of a similar view towards an old book (all in Spanish) from the dying days of the Spanish Empire (late 19th century). It had handwriting in it, with some fading, all in Spanish--with dates from that time. So it intrigues me to this day...

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm borderline on the topic. When I was in college, there was some Asian guy I have no idea how many years ahead of me, who took all my psych courses and marked up the library books. I got to "know" him after a while. I thought he was an idiot, btw, (meaning he disagreed with me) but he was an endearing idiot. :cool:

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

To Peaches...

Peaches, you make an important distinction here! And we can cover both here: this thread is about "OCD" (in the fun spirit of DF), as well as real OCD (the serious, clinical kind).

It includes being bugged by stuff like crumbs in your PC's keyboard. Or the dog-eared and/or written pages in a favorite copy of a book...

:)

4. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

although you mentioned checking appliances and locks repeatedly and that is something people with real ocd do. counting things, doing things a certain number of times.

after i backread i thought, well i am not really ocd about my scrubs lol

5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yikes--then I have real OCD in that regard! *cupping my face like the kid in Home Alone!*

6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yeah, so we can cover both "OCD" and OCD here!

:banana:

7. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

I'm so OCD people at work are worried!

Check my car doors are locked 5 times for each door
    Constantly lock the doors in the house and keep checking them much to my parent's annoyance
    All my CD's/DVD's are in alphabetical order
    Everything I download is organised into genre folders
    Everything is arranged perfectly in my desk drawers
    All books on my shelf are arranged by size working their way down i.e. big ~ small
    If I'm doing any cabling work I ensure all cables are same colours and arranged neatly in correct lengths
    All my shoes are lined up neatly
    If I spot anything in a supermarket not lined up I will rearrange the shelves!
    If I turn the volume up or down I use odd numbering schema!
    I eat everything one by one on dinner plate starting with least important e.g. peas, chips then the fish!

If I'm out at a job and I spot anything unclean/tidy I will make an issue out of it and clean up for them. I cleaned a fridge once at a school and the teachers thought I was nuts! :lol:

I've even been known when visiting friend's houses that I clean their rooms up!

When serving cakes I also stack them up like a pyramid - not started using a spirit level yet... give it a few more years.

Hate untidiness. It drives me crackers...

8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

To Flash...

Flash, yikes! Are you one to separate your M&M's into different colors--and make them fight for your favor, too? :)

9. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

I've not had those for years but I would do something like that :lol:

Do panic if I *think* I've forgot to do something... and if I can't remember then I'll go and check again... that can be after 5 - 10 minutes of maybe checking my car doors.... can be annoying at times... :(

10. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

My work requires repeatable pattern recognition--global through individual, behavioural, political, organizational etc--so some inevitably seeps into my life (though I try not to).

I've been known to look for (and sometimes create) Fibonacci series in my M&Ms (by color)--of course ONLY for aesthetic reasons.

And tend to align things like dining utensils--my plate only not others-- (again for aesthetics not OCD :) ).

m

11. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

To madmaximus...

madmaximus, right! Definitely NOT because of OCD! ;)

:cheers:

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

ah the Fibonacci series...books on this make my husband tear up...:)

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hah... i resemble that remark...:rolleyes:

14. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

this may amuse you

15. Joyful Dancer

Joyful Dancer New Member

Not sure if it is OCD or just my long career in the insurance industry.....

I make sure that my home is locked tight several times before leaving for work.

If I see a "trip/fall" item in the floor of retail outlet I "must" pick it up and put it back on the display rack.

I check that my car lights are off numerous times before I can relax and walk on across the parking lot.

16. Nybz

Nybz New Member

Love it :)

17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

To Lioness

Lioness, that's cute!

:cool:

18. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Nice to see others interested in AESTHETICS. LOL.

:)

m

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

the golden ratio is a common topic in my house, max. my father was born in the town of pythagoras' alleged birth, and the thread of all things pythagoreon has woven thru every aspect of my life.

the town of pythagoreon on samos is sort of a... soul residence... for me on a level. ergo... "samina". sometimes i wonder if there's a kind of tribal influence with him. my father is a physicist... i am a metaphysicist... there is a connection on a number of levels, including my affinity for the health subjects that mr. P apparently loved so much, lolz.

20. Eliska

Eliska New Member

This thread is great.. especially having been a psych major. I remember my prof telling everyone in the class not to worry and diagnose ourselves just because we may have similar qualities.

I can definitely be OCD about things though..
    1.) Always have to make sure my car is locked and keys are in hand or purse. Always.
    2.) No one can touch my bed.. not even lay a finger on it unless i give you permission. But I have this weird thing about ppl on my bed, especially if the person is dirty or has been running around or something.
    3.) I recently started a side cake business, and the cakes i make have to be PERFECT. My little brother and sister always want to help, but i'm too afraid they will mess up. I'm more of just an independent worker when it comes to projects in general... i like to get things done a certain way lol.