Tango Argentino > What are you working on? v3

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by AndaBien, Dec 5, 2011.

1. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I'm surprised to know that. I thought you were enamored with neo.

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

psssssst [​IMG] dont tell my first tango love

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

vanilla tango. what is that..suspension isnt neo..its just a hanging pause....

very nice in vals....

4. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

You can have more than one infatuation, at least when talking about styles or even dance partners.

Romantic infatuation (or 'worse', love) is, of course, best strictly mono<N>ous.

5. opendoor

simply open your eyes and see what Ive seen looking up those special treasures of your tango vocaculary....

6. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Musicality! Dancing on one rhythm while leading the follower on another. I found this really hard to do in CE. Too much information to the follower I think, harder to disguise your own movements. Found this exercise to be really fun on some of the modern tango. My teacher had me lead her to dance on the melody of a Gotan song while I danced the rhythm. My leader brain hurts right now from the strain. :D

7. bordertangoman

it is difficult.

8. bordertangoman

the things between:

between a sacada and a colgada is a whole range of foot placement which alters the next step. there is sub-colgada...and much else beside. it is the dynamic consequence that is interesting..

9. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Working on clean stable weight transfers... again. (or maybe, still)

10. AndaBien

I'm working on finding or developing a few more apilado partners.

They seem to be a disappearing breed.

11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I'm thinking this is our American (North American) sensibilitites winning out in the long run.

What do you (and anyone else who cares to comment?) think?

12. AndaBien

• Styles tend to come and go, depending on the next new style
    • Apilado is difficult to learn, because it is so subtle
    • Leaders are often seduced by the fancy stuff
    • The fewer leaders there are who dance apilado, the less opportunity there is for followers to become skilled with it

13. Zoopsia59

I'll be right down!

14. Zoopsia59

Agree with all of this except the idea that it is more difficult than any other style.

Another factor is that it isn't what is getting taught. Almost no one around here has been taught how to do ochos or molinetes without opening the embrace. Followers only learn to do these moves pivoting. Leaders open even for me and I don't need them to give me room to pivot because I would simply cross my ochos or molinete if they maintained the apilado embrace.

When CE styles do get taught, it is more often V-embrace or VU style, not milonguero or apilado. I've even heard a teacher refer to the way of executing certain things in milonguero style as "not the way it's done anymore" as though it is actually now incorrect, as he then went on to demonstrate the move in an open embrace with nuevo style and method.

15. AndaBien

Yes, sadly, I think there are fewer classes where a leader or follower could learn this style.

16. opendoor

We´ve got such an annoying retro phase actually: every milonga plays music from the 30s all the time with cortinas in between. Why cortinas, every tune sounds much of a muchness, anyway. And the majority dances this way, too.

:(

17. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

I honestly think music has something to do with it. People associate "traditional" dancing with traditional music. Getting people to try dancing apilado to more modern orchestras could revitalize it, potentially.

18. opendoor

Interesting. Till now (and I´m not that convinced, yet) I would think that

the dancing style should be linked to the music style, when you try to do it well, anyway?!

19. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

apilada music? nueva music?

20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

You and me, both.