Tango Argentino > What are you working on? v3

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by AndaBien, Dec 5, 2011.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Indeed. My tango universe may be kind of coarse. But some sort of music was popular, when tango only was danced at confiterias, small cafes, or night clubs -> Apilado.

There is music, especially written or played for dance floors in ball rooms -> V-hold, Salón style.

A special type of music emerged when tango took place in sport halls and gyms -> club style.

There is also a type of tango music for the stage -> escenario, fantasia, nuevo.

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

last night i danced apilado, CE and open, bt only one lady in the room does apilado but i dont agree in full about the music dictating the style. more nuevo things are happening to trad music (watch Homer, for example)

3. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Cleaning up my ochos. Seems that they were getting a little smooshy. Not bad, but not enough cleanness on the pivot. Then experimented with exiting cadena on a single axis turn. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!

4. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Nor do I. If I can dance tango to Blues music, I can certainly dance it to any era of tango music, as long as I find it danceable.

I don't suppose that tango composers thought about the type of venue their music would be played in when they began to compose.

5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

But musicality and education is one thing. The other one is income and getting along with your buisiness. Homer cuts his coat to his cloth. Once he started with Neotango for a limited crowd. Now he earns his money teaching everybody.

@ Anda: I dont think so. And dancing to historic music means to meet the vintage style too, for me anyway. When canyengue is played, I dance canyengue, when tangomilonga is played, I dance apilado. I also dance to neo and non and nu tango: but not in apilado style. I dont like Chicho doing his neo moves to traditional music. It fits absolutely (for me) when he dances to any fusion style music, but please, not to tangomilonga and salón from the 30s.

That´s right, but nevertheless their music is linked to the venues of that days. Speaking frankly: I dont wear those suits, and hats, and kinky shoes. But I try to keep my dancing clean. Thats my way, and my way isnt the true and best way. As many dancers there are, as many styles and attituds are possible. So dont let us quarrel over this really peripheral question.

Going on vacation for two weeks. Islas Canarias. think they have a lively tango scene. Cheers

6. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I don't think I'm quarreling with you, just trying to understand what you are saying. As I understand you, you are saying that certain music is more suited to small venues and other music is more suited to large venues. Also, that this distinction was applied in BA.

Cayengue music would inspire me to dance cayengue, but I would dance it that way regardless of the amount of space available. Of course, if I have more space I will tend to use it, to some extent, but the amount of space doesn't, IMO, dictate style. I suppose that the dancers of yore danced their own style, using more or less space as available, but not changing their style due to space.

I hope you have a great vacation.

7. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

And there are people obsessed with categorising an pigeon-holing everything they encounter, instead of letting a dialect continuum be just that, i.e. a continuum.

I *like* Chicho doing his stuff to traditional music. Because it matches the spirit of the music a lot better than what other uninspired dancers produce, even though it may not have been what the original writers of the music could have anticipated.

I rarely see the pigeon-hole mentality in true maestros, by the way. More often in people who develop systems of beliefs as crutches to convince them that what they're doing is "right". A true maestro doesn't need that: he knows what's "right" because it feels or looks right to him, and doesn't need external stamps of approval or definitions to tell him what is right.

Of course, you're free to think whatever you like, but please don't write "There is" as if you're somehow chiseling some universal truths onto tablets of stone. I realise that you do know that, but please be a bit more careful when you word things.

8. bordertangoman

I find the music of Derrotado and Indio Manso (Di Sarli) can be danced with nice fluid colgadas, so why not?

9. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

You'd have to have written permission from Carlos Di Sarli and it's hard to obtain ;).

Even if you had written permission, some people would still think it's wrong. You'd have to have one authenticated by a register of deeds to have been signed in 1958. It would give you permission to do colgadas on Indio Manso but not on, say, El Cabure.

And then there are the people who consider it a trick question. Indio Manso was recorded in 1958, which is outside of the nominal period for the Golden Age, which means that you are supposed to sit it out.

10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

*snort* LOL. :)

11. bordertangoman

as Peaches said *SNORT* :D

could I obtain permission from one of Di Sarli's heirs? or do I have to find a contemporary cover of it?

12. chanchan

chanchan Member

Are you really sure?
    I think tango was also danced in large spaces in the outskirts of BsAs. Cortes, quebradas, fancy moves was popular since before 1900.
    The most important and known milongas in Villa Urquiza is in the Sunderland Club: since the 40s the gym of this sport club is used for tango. But it doesn't mean that people does gymnastics while dancing, or that a special type of music emerged for it.
    This is partly true. Some kind of music is not intended for the dance: it doesn't mean that dancing it is forbidden. It means that, without a choreography, dancing it is technically difficult or impossible. In a show you can use a choreography, so there is no problem.

13. bordertangoman

that's great its going on my sig...:D

14. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I think it would depend on whether the heir had legal control of the music estate (ie: copyrights) or just inherited some assets. You might have to get permission from different heirs for different tunes, and it could get really complicated if the copyrights are held/shared by the original composers rather than by the bandleaders.

Or you could just colgada away and risk the penalties.

15. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

I've heard about the tango inquisition. I hear their soft pillows are very pointy and that it's impossible to cabeceo from the low height of the comfy chair.

16. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

:uplaugh:

Those nice red robes solve the other thread's suit question though.

17. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Tango inquisition robes are black, you silly.

18. bordertangoman

I think Di Sarli would approve.....

19. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

An unfalsifiable statement, so it's perfectly fine to make it.

I dance colgadas to di Sarli too, without worrying about whether di Sarli or the tango police approves. Subtle and short ones, because it's all it takes to get That Feeling.

20. bordertangoman

quebradas y cortes next...