What are Your Favorite Words???

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Ray Sison, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

What are some words that interest, intrigue, or inspire you???

Once on NPR, I heard someone express their interest for the rarely used word apricity. It means "the warmness of sun in winter". (They actually have a word for this beautiful thing!)

I use wistful a lot, which means "characterized by melancholy, longing, or yearning"...

I also like encomium and panegyric, which are synonyms meaning "a lofty oration or writing in praise of a person or thing"--a eulogy...

And there is sylph, "a slender, graceful woman or girl". I noticed that someone in Dance Forums uses Sylph as a handle...

I have studied several foreign languages. One of my favorite words in Spanish is madrugada ("dawn"), as in "por la madrugada"...

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hey, nice... lovely word

always enjoyed that word as well... used so commonly in spanish love songs, which i'm partial to.

two of my favorite words i like because of the way they are pronounced... both greek...one i find humorous, the other just rolls challengingly off the tongue.

verikoko (verrr-EE-kaw-kaw): apricot
    rothakino (rrraw-THA-kee-naw): peach

also, another greek word, erota (EH-rrraw-tah), because it's loaded with meaning that doesn't really translate well in english but is rich in meaning to greeks... and there's probly not a single greek love song that doesn't use it, lolz. means, love, love-making, affection. could be general, could be specific, could be romantic, could be sexual but it's not "dirty". what a great word...

3. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Ooo... lovely! I will try to remember this come November/December.

4. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Another word that I love is halcyon. From the dictionary you see:

1. calm; peaceful; tranquil: halcyon weather.
    2. rich; wealthy; prosperous: halcyon times of peace.
    3. happy; joyful; carefree: halcyon days of youth.
    4. of or pertaining to the halcyon or kingfisher.

As a noun, it also means a mythical bird, usually identified with the kingfisher, said to breed about the time of the winter solstice in a nest floating on the sea, and to have the power of charming winds and waves into calmness.

From Classical Mythology. Halcyon (also spelled Alcyone) was a daughter of Aeolus who, with her husband, Ceyx, was transformed into a kingfisher.

5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Effulgent: to shine or beam brightly

I too like apricity; reminds of a girl I know called Apricot; she's very apricious.

Wistful; I associate with Proustian, ennui, melancholy[/i] but this is not say that I dont like them

Cathexis : "A key concept from the economic point of view, "cathexis" refers to the process that attaches psychic energy, essentially libido, to an object, whether this is the representation of a person, body part, or psychic element."

i think this word so vastly sums up our being and how we identify with things and experiences and maybe Decathect with things we find offensive

6. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Monongahela, just for the sound of it, whether pronounced the American way or the Western Pennsylvania way (much prettier, imho)

7. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Love - there's nothing like someone saying that to you whilst looking into your eyes, smiling and totally meaning what they say.... /sigh :D

Enchanted

Cupcake (see Love)

8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Flashdance, you keep things fun!

9. Me

Me New Member

I like saying the word satsuma. Sats-ewwww-mah. It's a fun word. :)

I also like saying onomatopoeia.

10. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Waltz. I liked it even before I thought of dancing.

11. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Ooh! nice!

As for waltz, WW--you and me both. I love that word, and I adore that dance...

12. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

my favorite word is yes.

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

cupcake *is* a great word! i've got a bottle of petite syrah by cupcake vineyards, and it always makes me smile when i see the label. :D

14. j_alexandra

the word "chicken" is hilarious. connotations abound. But the word itself is funny. wuv it.

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

it *is* a funny word.

OTOH... tenderness. lovely word.

16. j_alexandra

Oh yes. Lovely. Nearly onomatopoeic.:wink:

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oompa-loompa. i mean... really. that's a *great* word.

18. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

20. CANI

CANI Active Member

oh, wow! That brings back memories. I remember the exact room I was in, the exact seat, when the teacher wrote that word on the board in elementary school. What a great word!