Funstuff and Inspiration > What are Your Favorite Words???

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Ray Sison, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

elegiac (of, relating to, or involving elegy or mourning or expressing sorrow for that which is irrecoverably past: an elegiac lament for youthful ideals.)

2. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

This thread makes me think of That 70s Show when the parents accidently got the pan of "special" brownies. The scene where Red is in the circle and decides he likes the word "hip" and keeps saying it over and over again. :)

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

resplendent (shining brilliantly; gleaming; splendid)

For example: "troops resplendent in white uniforms"...

4. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

elegant

5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Something I am sure you are, sambanada--elegant....

6. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Thank you Ray

7. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

patrocliny / patricliny, noun meaning inheritance of traits primarily from the father. The female counterpart of this term is matrocliny.

example sentence: "Common to all was the early modern ideal of nobility that prized purity above antiquity; quarterings [joining different coats of arms to symbolize various ancestries] together above patrocliny, and virtue above ethnicity."

I found this on wordsmith dot org

8. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

9. Laurie

Laurie New Member

desideratum: "Something considered necessary or desirable."

10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

edacious (devouring, voracious)

Hobson's choice (An apparently free choice that offers no real alternative: "take it or leave it". - as explained in dictionary dot com: the word is an allusion to Thomas Hobson (1544?-1630), English keeper of a livery stable, from his requirement that customers take either the horse nearest the stable door or none.)

allusion (a passing or casual reference; an incidental mention of something, either directly or by implication. For example: "an allusion to Shakespeare".)

11. dcharmd1

dcharmd1 New Member

facetious...i like this word but i kid you not, i have a hard time pronouncing it

12. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

versicolor, adjective meaning: 1. Having a variety of colors; variegated. 2. Changing in color; iridescent.

example sentence: "The St. Lucia parrot, with the apt scientific name Amazona versicolor, sports a cobalt blue face, emerald wings and splashes of scarlet across its throat and breast." Blake Edgar, Fighting For A Rare Bird, International Wildlife, 1 Mar 1999.

I found this at wordsmith dot org

13. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

propitious, adjective meaning 1. Presenting favorable conditions. 2. Favorably inclined; kindly.

example usage: ""[Foreign] aid had a propitious effect on growth in poorer developing countries in the 1960s and on middle-income countries in the 1970s." Girish P Pant; Aid and Growth; Kathmandu Post (Nepal); Jul 15, 2005."

again, from wordsmith . org

14. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

15. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

bedizen, verb meaning to dress or decorate in a showy or gaudy manner.

example usages:

"When Daisy wants to bedizen herself to impress tout San Francisco, she has her servants add the crowning touch by dusting her with gold." Dennis Drabelle; Frisco Business; The Washington Post; Jan 24, 1992.

"It was still basically 'Krausmeyer's Alley,' but it was a 'Krausmeyer's Alley' adorned and bedizened with reminiscences of every other burlesque-show curtain raiser and afterpiece in the repertory.' H.L. Mencken; Stare Decisis (later renamed A Bum's Christmas); New Yorker; Dec 30, 1944.

credit goes to wordsmith . org

16. Kits

Kits New Member

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

17. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

18. Kits

Kits New Member

hehe even the sound of it makes me laugh :p

19. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Feather

20. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

canonical, adjective meaning:
    1. Authorized; recognized.
    2. Religion: Relating to canon law.
    3. Art: Relating to a particular artist's works established as authentic and complete.
    4. Literature: Relating to a list of literary works permanently established as having highest merit.
    5. Math: In simplest or standard form.
    6. Music: Relating to a piece of music in which a melody is played by different overlapping voices. Example: Pachelbel's Canon.

examples:

"Shakespeare, Shaw, Ibsen, and heaven knows what other canonical heavyweights one might care to name?"
    Matt Wolf; Newcomers Who Stole the Show; The New York Times; Dec 29, 2009.

"Watching John Mighton's play [Half Life] a second time, I found myself wondering how many drafts it must have gone through before reaching its canonical form."
    Robert Cushman; Welcome Back to T.O.; Financial Post (Canada); Jan 20, 2007.

I got this from wordsmith dot org