General Dance Discussion > What bout Tap dancing?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by dancer_of_god, Oct 5, 2003.

1. dancer_of_god

dancer_of_god New Member

:?: :?: :?:

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I took a few lessons. I got up to grade 4 I believe, but I never stuck with it. Are you a tap dancer?

3. dancer_of_god

dancer_of_god New Member

very. been dancin since about 3rd grade. i love it

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The closest I've ever gotten to tap dancing was watching Gregory Hines in the movie,"Tap." What do you think about tap dancing contributing to other forms of dance? I wouldn't mind taking some lessons.

5. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

dancer_of_god,

Welcome to the Forum family! Delighted to have you here!!!!

I've been taking tap for about a year and a half and really enjoy it. I LOVE making noise...especially with my feet.

My favorite step would have to be a rolling shuffle...flap, heel, heel, brush, heel, toe, heel.

I have a few tap patterns, warmups and routines on my site...www.dancersdreamland.com.

Look forward to seeing you on the Forum boards!

6. dancer_of_god

dancer_of_god New Member

do u really take lessons? so cool
    do u know the shim-sham? that's pretty much my favorite routine of all time!!!!!

I think u can tap dance anywhere: in the streets, down an aisle in the grocery store, in the rain (go figure) u should take lessons, their a blast and once u get started, u can't stop!!!!! :roll:

7. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

I agree...once you start taking lessons you get addicted to making noises with your feet.

When we first learned flaps, our instructor talked about doing them while grocery shopping...now I do them whenever I go shopping. Up and down the aisles I'm justing flapping away. It's pretty funny actually, and now my fiance has picked up how to do them so we do them together. You should see the looks people give us.

I know I've learned shim shams, I just don't remember them. I'll have to ask in class next week.

8. dancer_of_god

dancer_of_god New Member

the shim sham is a routine that is very cool. make a point to learn it

9. d nice

d nice New Member

The Shim Sham was created by Leonard Reed. It is a gfreat dance with endless variations that can be worked into it. Leonard has also choreographed Shim Sham 2, even more fun.

Rusty Frank has tapes available of both routines if you can't find a teacher.

10. dancer_of_god

dancer_of_god New Member

I didn't know that!!! Thanks for that bit of info that I will now use to impress my friends 8)