General Dance Discussion > What can an experienced follower do to help?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Nov 8, 2003.

1. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I'm not saying the lead provides the styling opportunity, I'm saying for example you lead a woman into a turn and she stops the halo motion of your turn hand, keeps your hand propped up with hers, and then continues to turn REAL slow maybe taking 2 full counts to finish the turn. Once she's done all is back to normal and you start leading again.

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I know what you're talking about youngsta – and yes, this stuff does happen, at times, in salsa – but, as you say, I take this to still be different from the full on hijacking that I understood Vince et al to be talking about, no?

3. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Ok, I gotcha. Here, we call that a hijack. I've never seen this full on hijack Vince was talking about. I wonder what we would call that here! :lol:

4. SDsalsaguy

Taking dance hostages? :lol:

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Good morning . . . lengthy discussion on hijacks, eh?

I think what everybody wrote is correct. . .

I've seen hijack in Slasa, but it's mainlt done by experienced couples and couples who regularly dancewith each other, e.g., husband and wife.

A hijack can be anytime that the follower takes the lead away from the leader and controls movement or play, whether it's a simple walk out of a move, stopping his lead and doing their own turn, or taking over for a move or more and giving it back.

It also can provide a follower with a styling opportunity, which most women do in any dance. I've even had it happen to me in 2 Step! And she put me into downline phantom turns that totally showed that I couldn't follow that well in 2 Step.

Most followers do stop a pattern quite often and just hangout , extending the count, and simply "play." If they do it too much, and mess up everything I've planned in my head for that song, I back off and do basics.

SD . . . "Swing privates?" Ah, a new monster being created. Well, let me say, that if you grasp WCS as well as you did Salsa, you willbe a very good WCS dancer!

6. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Hey Jenn, we missed you this week! Yes, you are correct. Particularly when you're doing continuous swivels in Salsa, the follower also hijacks the lead and turns it back over with the correct timing. The good this about this move is that the leader often likes it and particulary if it's playfully flirtatious. :wink:

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hey peachexploration. Yuck. World's worst stomach virus. Over now, though, thank goodness.

Question: how does the follow decide whether to hijack or not? Experienced leads only, I'm guessing? Too confusing for newbie leaders to take?

8. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Well, I'm still learning this one too but yeah I'm mainly guessing experienced leads only because there are a few moves in Salsa that a potential hijack can take place and experienced leader will know about most them in advance. In last week's class, our instructor gave our newbie leaders some pointers on what to look for in a potential hijack especially when there is a break in music, music tempo changes or there is particular move or combination where it could happen. There are moves like continuous swivels or even when a follower can break into a shine sequence. She used the term "turning the lead over". But again, you'll have to have a little experience to do this and I wouldn't try this on a newbie outside of class unless he was somewhat familiar. It would be difficult to do this out socially at first until you've had a feel for each other's dancing. Our instructor is great at doing this but I noticed that it's only with our more advance dancers/students.

9. SDsalsaguy

Semi-privates Vince, only semi-privates! As far as matching it up to my salsa, well... I don't think anything will ever speak to my soul quite the way that salsa does... but I certainly won't mind if you can't tell that as an observer! :D

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'll let you know the next time I see you WCS . . .

11. SDsalsaguy

:shock:

I *definitely* don't think it'll be up to that level anytime soon... just saying that I'm hoping to eventually get there!

12. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Hey guys :D thanks for explaining what 'hijacking' means......! I am sure I have been doing it fr time to time without knowing the term :shock:
    So I gathered that if you don't do it too much, you don't fall in the category of backleading, right? Or are they two totally different things..?

Generally, if I am dancing salsa, and one (or both) of us miss/mess up a move, new ones will be filled in so we are still in time with the music (& the on-lookers won't notice :p) I do this quite a bit :roll: ......so is there a name for it....? :wink:

13. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Well said........ I am glad you feel this way.......! :D Me too.....!

14. SDsalsaguy

Well, I'm not SDsalsaguy for nothing you know! :wink: :lol: