Country and Western > What dance do I want to do?? Identify a dance for me.

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by phatmonky, May 14, 2005.

1. phatmonky

phatmonky New Member

ha, I know the title is strange, but bear with me.

I had some people try to explain to me, verbally, the dance they were doing at the club last time I was there.

They were doing two of them, but I don't know what they are called:

The first was described as "Two steps to the left and then two steps to the right"
    Step L, CatchupR, Step L, CatchupR,
    Step R, cachupL, Step R, cachupL,

They said to try to shuffle your feet with it.

The second was the same, but a three step instead of two.
    "Three to the left, three to the right"

Sadly, the music was going WAY too fast for me to be able to keep up with this, so I can't really say I know how to do it, and I don't know if I was ever doing it right.

The best I can tell from a google search, it's possibly the cajun two step:
    http://www.tabasco.com/music_stage/dance_lessons/index.cfm

And then some variation of.
    However, I know that

Either way, I just started taking dance classes, and would like to have some idea what this is before I go next time. I want to ask my teacher if we could focus on that for the beginning. Then I can go out and practice socially more :)
    I'm in Texasm and EVERYTHING is just called "the two step" but they are all different dances, haha. Thanks for any help.

2. discovery

discovery New Member

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but it sounds like the first dance (I'm also basing this on the the web link you posted) is a <step, together, step, touch> either to the left or the right (by "touch" I mean that you don't put any weight on the step). I would describe that as three steps, rather than two, followed by a touch-step to the left or right. I personally don't know what dance this would be. Maybe it is the cajun two-step as described in the web link .

The second dance sounds like some kind of triple step pattern such as <step, together, step> (no touch). This is also three steps to the left or right but just without the touch. This sounds like polka maybe?

3. phatmonky

phatmonky New Member

Finally got in touch with them again ... the Left Left Right Right one is the polka...
    From my limited experience, it seems I was describing it wrong.