Country and Western > What dance is this?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by athenon, Feb 22, 2006.

1. athenon

athenon New Member

Saturday I saw a dance I'm not familiar with. I'm guessing it was 3-step, but I'm not quite sure. It's really popular around here, and I'd like to learn how to do it. It seemed kind of like a fast 2-step with a pause/back movement for a 3rd step (sort of).

Identification and help doing it would be great :)

Thanks!

Eric
    (Athenon)

2. MrJoel

MrJoel New Member

Could it possibly be a waltz? That's my only guess.

3. athenon

athenon New Member

I think it's 3-step...what does 3 step look like?

4. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Hustle?

5. kayak

kayak Active Member

If the dance progresses around the floor, it could be either a triple-two or a triple-triple (polka without the up/down motion).

6. kayak

kayak Active Member

If the dance progresses around the floor, it could be a triple-two or a triple-triple?

7. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

What kind of music was it danced to? Country & Western? R&B? Latin? Fast, slow? From your description it is kind of hard to tell. Even Nightclub Two Step could be described as "a fast 2-step with a pause/back movement for a 3rd step (sort of)"

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Ditto . . . Triple Two, Polka, or maybe even the Texas Two Step???

Fast? Slow? Dance around the outside of the dance floor in a ccw direction, kinda like my avatar???

9. athenon

athenon New Member

The most noted song i've found is "I never promised you a rose garden"...it appears to be right, left, right - then rock back on your left foot, then repeat...it's usually done in a circle, with partners going around the whole circle...it looks a lot like synchronized walking to me :p

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

That's only a 4-Step (count) dance . . . there are very few of those - actually I couldn't find any! However, there 8, 10, 12, 16, and 22-Step Polka dances that are partnered and also travel ccw around the perimeter of the floor!

I think it's basically a "shuffle" with a rock step, which would be something local???

Let me know if find out something different???

11. CGInTheSand

CGInTheSand New Member

Texas Three Step

While I have never heard of the Texas Three Step, a quick Google search (try "texas three step dance") turns up several references, including this official description in the rulebook of the CWDI (Country Western Dance International):

Texas Three-Step: – Couples must maintain a step pattern of, except for limited syncopation steps to change
    to their partner’s step pattern, a pattern that uses four (4) weight changes to three (3) counts of music,
    counted as (1&2,3) or (1,2,3&) which has a generally forward progressive counter clockwise around the
    dance floor.

(Google "CWDI" to get the link to the CWDI web site; Dance Forums is telling me I'm not allowed to post the URL.)

Sounds a little like a progressive hustle, if you can imagine that!

12. athenon

athenon New Member

Yeah, that sounds about right...I thought it might be 3-step, but I wasn't sure. Apparently it is :p

Thanks!

13. CGInTheSand

CGInTheSand New Member

Cool! So where is this dance done?

athenon,

I am totally intrigued by this dance that I have never heard of or seen!! Where in Texas have you seen it done? (names of bars plus cities where they are located)

If I am ever in Texas, I would like to go to one of these places and watch the dance, maybe even learn it a little.

I love regional dances, and this definitely seems to be one...

14. athenon

athenon New Member

Go to google and search for "schroeder". It's called Schroeder Hall, and google makes a point to note that it's the second oldest dance hall in texas. They list their address in Goliad, but it's actually in schroeder. Apparently, it IS 3-step :p

Hope it helps!

15. dancenut

dancenut New Member

sounds like 3 step to me

I teach the Texas 3-step. What you describe sounds like it.

Guy starts with left foot: Beat 1: step fwd with left foot
    & bring right foot beside left
    2 step fwd with left foot
    3 big step forward with right

It's like a quick, quick, quick, slow.

The lady will be on oposite foot because she is facing the guy and traveling backward.

Hope this helps.

16. athenon

athenon New Member

thanks!

17. letsgetcrunk

letsgetcrunk New Member

electric slide maybe?

18. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

I think they're talking about a progressive partner dance, not a line dance *shrug*

19. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to use this ole thread for this question.

They've been doing it in Portland, and now I see they are doing it at Gilley's in Las Vegas.
    Lots of people seem to know the dance, most of them younger, and people I haven't seen line dancing before.
    I call it the Disney Dance, because I suspect that it is from "High School Musical". I've looked a bit, and asked a few people, and will ask again tonight when I go out.
    This dance is similar to the Madison. It is a line dance, and the moves are called.
    Does anyone know the name and/or where I can find a description?

20. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Here I am answering my own question. I asked someone who knew the answer.
    So, the "Casper Slide" aka "Cha Cha Slide" is not very popular out there in country land? I'd describe it as an urban line dance. It reminds me of the Madison in that it has all of the called moves.
    http://video.aol.com/video/kol-cha-cha-slide-part-2/1643814
    It grows on you.