Country and Western > What dance is this?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by athenon, Feb 22, 2006.

1. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

It's fun because it's so relaxing. There is really no need to "learn" the dance because it moves so slowly and all the steps are being described verbally before you execute them.

I like the woman in the video who cha-cha'd with her bosoms.

And I love it when the guy says "cha-cha, y'all!"

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks Steve . . . reminds me of why I DO NOT line dance anymore!!!

3. cowboydancer

cowboydancer New Member

What part of Texas are you in? There are a couple of regional social dances done here in the mid-south and southwest that you don't see much anywhere else.

The first is the Texas Two Step, also called the "Three-step" or just "Two-step" which confuses the heck out of Texans going anywhere else. This is *not* the competition style "Two-Step" but it can (to further confuse the picture) be counted as QQSS. *sigh* Think of them as second cousins.

The main distinguishing characteristic of the Texas Two Step/Three step is that the first three steps in the basic pattern are a shuffle on a slight forward diaginal just to the left of center of line of dance. The last "slow" is a forward progressive step that passes the foot. In the first QQS the feet do NOT pass one another. When I'm counting it out loud to someone, I generally say, step scoot step, walk rather than QQSS.

The other regional dance is something that I was taught ages ago and I really don't see, but every once in a while a song comes on that it fits. I was told it was called a "Double rhytm Two Step". It goes, Slow-touch,slow touch, QQ I know, I know... Hey, I'm not making this stuff up folks. It actually exists! LOL

They do it a lot at the Ranch in Alburqurque NM.

Hope this helps.

--Tony

4. cowboydancer

cowboydancer New Member

When the Texas Twisters hosted the annual IAGLCWDC convention in 2005, we knew that folks from everywhere else would need to know the Three-step so we actually had several workshops that we called "The Other Two-Step" :)

I still remember the first time I went to a dance convention/contest and saw what I thought was a new dance... the Two-step. It looked similar to what we were doing but different in a way cool way.

A lady that I trust as a voice of authority (see teaches dance at an area junior college) says that the Texas Two-step or "three-step" is an evolution of the Polka, brought to Texas by German immigrants last century. When the German folk music began to change because of influences from other immigrant groups, the music began to speed up. So instead of two tripple steps, one of the tripples became a single forward progressive step and the Texas Two Step was born.

Fast forward to the 20th century and you had dance instructors visiting Texas and learning the regional dance. They took it back and when they started teaching it, they stumbled onto the problem of how to count it. Their formal training came into play and they called it as QQSS, and realized that it had the same rhythm as Foxtrot. The rest is history. Since they taught the rest of the world, the rest of the world does something that native Texans don't even though both are called "Two-step"

Now, all this is antedotal. I have not been able to confirm any of it through dance history books. But it does make a certain amount of logical sense.

Cheers!

--Tony

5. kayak

kayak Active Member

So the Texas 2-step is QQSS, QQSS = Left right left right, left right left right? Seems kind of unbalanced? Like the star German polka dancer sprained his right ankle and just stopped using it :p