Salsa > What dance is this?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by opendoor, Jul 31, 2014.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

The following vid is titled Son cubano. I find this is not Son. They dance on1 (son is on2), the styling looks more like Bolero cubano, for me anyway, especially in the first half. So what do you think?

MaggieMoves likes this.
  2. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no idea what it is, but I love it!

3. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

It looks like some form of Argentine tango... that's at least what hit me right away at first. You can see they do a few basics at the start of the video.

Edit: Also saw some Cha Cha/Salsa mix in there too, and maybe even a bit of Bachata.

I like it a lot though. :)

4. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

But, OD, it is 'Son Cubano'. The original 'son', which we very rarely hear today, was exactly this, and the dance/s that came from it were several; some of which emphasized the 1, and others which emphasized the 2. More relevant here is that back-in-the-day the word 'son', we know, meant rhythm in general as well as rhythm in particular when applied to a particular one such as, Cuban, So. American, Mexican, etc. The most popular of the 'son' rhythms and dances that are still prevalent today are bolero and rumba. Bolero-Son (the dance) was slower (but still not as slow as the American version), and Rumba-Bolero was quicker (even more quicker yet than both BR versions). The more authentic rumba, we know, from studies, old films, etc. was danced in the style of and at the speed (tempo) of the vid that you have posted here.

It certainly has nothing to do with Arg Tango (except that there are only so many moves to dance before they all start over-lapping). Based on other documentaries and old footage of the dance, I would say they are dancing authentic (or original) rumba which we also know from studies the early dancers called many names including 'Son'.

5. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Its simply a "show " style performance of Son .( and a great song by the way ! ) .

6. opendoor

Thank you all for replying!

Mmmmh, do you really mean "..of Son", or rather "..to Son"?

The music definitely is bolero-son. Tempo, rhythm, and the use of the tres really are typical.

Though this is leading off topic: I think argentine tango got a lot of cuban heritage in it´s veins.

Finally, I´m not totally convinced. I´ve got 2 reference vids, one for son montuno (what I think is the variety Angel Hi called rumba-bolero, on2) and one for bolero dominicano (which seems to be close to what Angel called american-bolero, on1). Do you agree?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  7. Angel HI

Please do not confuse name for dance for music for style for region.

opendoor likes this.
  8. vit

vit Active Member

On my computer they look like they dance on2 (although a bit late "2" for my taste), however it doesn't look like typical son

9. opendoor

but more towards the second half of that piece, as far as I would say.

10. vit

vit Active Member

Timing wise, it looks pretty much the same as the first half to me
    Anyway, as we know, video and sound sync on videos isn't always perfect

11. tangotime

American dance style of Bolero , breaks on 3...That music is NOT Bolero for that usage.

in addition, its really too up tempo for Bolero __

And by the way, ALL those variations ARE Cuban Son .

The reason some of those steps look familiar, is because they have transitioned into other dances ( salsa, mambo etc ) .

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    Angel HI and opendoor like this.
  12. tangotime

Its Cuban Son.. something I am currently teaching to one of my students

Angel HI likes this.
  13. opendoor

Thought it takes two?

14. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

[Quickly checks to see if his profile says where he is currently located. Rats.]

opendoor likes this.
  15. tangotime

It does... she takes private lessons with me

opendoor likes this.
  16. Angel HI